Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Blair not a liar shock

yeah, i'm a clueless twenty something... you need to fix up mark, you're way out of line.

in the last year you've held about 23 mutually exclusive positions, all presumably supported by structural systematic arguments, you've been a communist, an egoless space-cadet, a cold rationalist, you've subsumed yourself to Causes, to Reason, to Uttnall, you've praised something one week and denigrated it the next, you change gurus like most people change their underwear. its nietzsche then spinoza then zizek and badiou, you're a magpie, a mimic, it's all surface, shiny things which catch your eye... invoking rationality doesn't make you rational. your ego was most inflamed when you were talking about ego loss, now you're at your most irrational when singing the praises of rationality. what are you trying to acheive, you want to be the new marcello? is that the role you want? if you were a total prick i wouldn't even care, i'd just say, fuck it, let him embaress himself, let him make a prick out if himself, but when someone i like starts behaving like a cock towards me i take it personally. you need some deep breaths son, look back on what you've written cos you're riding an ego wave, think you're something all of a sudden, i've done it myself, let things go to my head and started acting arrogant, you think you're in control of yourself? emotions are carrying you, don't think i can't see, you're transparent, i can see right through you. i know everything that goes on, stop running your mouth, its time to take stock. you want to know why you get depressed? it's a direct result of what you're doing right now, letting your ego get so inflated that you got nowhere else to go but down. as soon as you become aware of the gap between how you see yourself and how others see you it's going to be the same old shit. its not sustainable. i might regret writing this in the morning but fuck, it needs to be said, don't fall down that stupid hole again, cultivate some self-awareness.

be.jazz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by k-punk
    As for rights, I assume you mean individual rights, which as a communist I of course don't believe in. There are collective rights or none at all.
    Could you give some examples of collective rights that eliminate the need or existence of individual rights?

Yes, of course. Do you really believe in Nietzschean cultural relativism? (Of course you do, everyone does these days....ask any teenager....they'll tell you, it's all just a matter of opinion)
    I don't know if it's Nietzschean, but I don't see rationality as a substitute for God (maybe you were being sarcastic?). Apart maybe from very abstract levels of rationality, but on lower levels, I don't see rationality as a constant. Which is not to say that choices between them can't be made. In practice they are, every day. A month or so ago a vice-Prime Minister here stated that "some cultures are inferior to others, such as one in which women are not allowed to get education." The workings of power in the real world ensure that choices are made.

Interesting personal anecdote. And what is your argument against it?
    It just seems full of leaps (rationality=self-interest, for one, especially if you're going to end up at collectivism), but your frame of reference is rather impenetrable to me.

woebot -vs- plato

Quote Originally Posted by k-punk

[1163] But when intemperance and diseases multiply in a State, halls of justice and medicine are always being opened; and the arts of the doctor and the lawyer give themselves airs, finding how keen is the interest which not only the slaves but the freemen of a city take about them.
    i take it this is plato? that's quite a fascinating perspective (i hope i'm reading it correctly). it appears to lay quite a lot of responsibility on the individual to take responsiblity for themselves. seems to suggest that people should take care of their own health (through a better diet exercise and less self-abuse (call me mr motivator)) and practise their own law (picture of positive anarchism?) is this correct?

on the other hand i suppose the law is now a positively ancient institution, and although it might appear quite involuted and twisted to the "clear-headed", in lieu of other channels, im sure many believe the ends justify the means. again with doctors, im sure one could take an evolutionary approach to disease (quite coldly seductive in many ways) but helping people get better, again dealing with a fucked status quo, but what else can society do?