New Orleans

zhao

there are no accidents
amazing. it's the 21st century, we are in a "1st world" nation. it's all of it, ALL of it, bullshit. the only thing you can trust is yourself, your family, and your closest friends. and that's all you have when the proverbial soon to become real, shit hits the fan. all over, in a big way, before too long.

estimate global oil crisis is set for somewhere around 2015, right? also the water and food shortage problems will get worse by then too. and don't forget that environmental disaster report from last year, by 200+ Nobel Laureate scientists, that warned of "Day After Tomorrow" scenario around 2020 (which I read on Yahoo and mysteriously dissapeared afterward. Fortune magazine also ran the same article)

so I'm thinking about moving to South East Asia... where the climate is good and balanced, people know how to farm, the food good, music scene hot...

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
polystyle desu said:
Just caught the news -
FEMA chief made to resign his New Orleans duties -

well he did after admitting lying on his CV. the real story here is not him lying on his CV -
  • but why wasn't his background details more thoroughly checked in the first place?
    surely you would expect him to be carefully vetted before getting a job like this?
  • why wasn't someone who could show REAL experience in managing disasters or big operations not hired in the first place (ie from the Red Cross, UN or the Army)?
  • was he just placed in his job to be a useful scapegoat? Ie the authorities knew of his made-up background, but still hired him to have around as a scapegoat.

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
confucius said:
amazing. it's the 21st century, we are in a "1st world" nation. it's all of it, ALL of it, bullshit. the only thing you can trust is yourself, your family, and your closest friends. and that's all you have when the proverbial soon to become real, shit hits the fan. all over, in a big way, before too long.

estimate global oil crisis is set for somewhere around 2015, right? also the water and food shortage problems will get worse by then too. and don't forget that environmental disaster report from last year, by 200+ Nobel Laureate scientists, that warned of "Day After Tomorrow" scenario around 2020 (which I read on Yahoo and mysteriously dissapeared afterward. Fortune magazine also ran the same article)

so I'm thinking about moving to South East Asia... where the climate is good and balanced, people know how to farm, the food good, music scene hot...

http://www.amconmag.com/2005/2005_09_12/cover.html

you might find that interesting

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
a good read that Pearsall (although a bit pessimistic?)

The permanent global energy crisis will create a large new class of economic losers in the U.S.—the former middle class. A lot of vocational niches are going to disappear and will not come back. Incomes will be lost forever. Members of the former middle class will be angry, resentful, and bewildered by the loss of their entitlements to the American Dream ... It is impossible to predict what kind of maniacs they may vote for ...

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
Oh yeah, Kunstler is an apocalyptist of the first degree (he was one of those people who thought Y2K was going to be the end of everything), but he writes well.

dominic

Beast of Burden
i really like the kunstler article! -- appeals to the hardcore pessimist in me

however, i like the chances of the u.s. army against the chinese army -- i.e., we'll simply bomb their tank columns and troop formations from a thousand miles up in the sky

ALSO -- i think people need to get real about competition for oil

and so who knows, maybe the bush administration isn't as deluded as they seem = maybe they realize that raw military power is the one card that the u.s. has in its favor, and maybe the rhetoric about terrorism and wmd's and dealing with the pathologies of an undemocratic middle east (i.e, making iraq a "beacon") was simply rhetoric for an american public too ignorant and craven to face the reality of having to control oil on the ground -- and maybe they don't really give a fuck about peace among the various peoples of iraq -- and maybe they realize that a democratic iraq would allign with iran in any case -- and so maybe the policy is to simply not give a fuck what happens to the people of iraq, i.e., let them kill each other b/c it's a cruel cruel world -- and in this cruel cruel world they're gonna park the u.s. military right smack in the center of the middle east

american military power = ability to destroy the military forces of any organized state

limits of american military power = inability to keep the peace on the ground

yeah, i beginning to think it's gonna be war b/w u.s. and china -- with u.s. destroying the conditions of whatever global prosperity might yet remain (not much?) in order to preserve its relative power

but what kunstler said about u.s. suburbia being the greatest misallocation of resources ever -- absolutely on the money!!!

people are going to be so utterly unprepared for the hard grim cruel 21st century

and we'll all be fucked together -- so might as well have fun now???

i.e., i still find myself counseling hedonism

ha ha

party til you can party no more

luka

jesus, i hate americans, i can't get over it. and dominic, you're not helping...

dominic

Beast of Burden
i'm not endorsing the way the world works

merely saying what i think is going to happen and, indeed, is happening