Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Berlin - whither should I go?

Is it true there are laws that limit how much a landlord can charge to let a certain kind of property? And if so, is that specific to Berlin or does it apply all over the country?
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Why don't they have Street lighting? Or capitalism?

curious to know how far along gentrification is in the "cool" (or once-cool) neighborhoods. is it still somewhat affordable/edgy/bohemian?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    Is it true there are laws that limit how much a landlord can charge to let a certain kind of property? And if so, is that specific to Berlin or does it apply all over the country?
    Nah it doesn't really work like that. Once a tenant leaves a flat, the landlord can only raise the rent with a maximum percentage (I believe it was 5 or 10) for the following tenant. Thing is that there are lots of ways to bypass this law, one is to renovate the flat. Landlords can also still decide to sell their property.

The other option is basically to just raise the price a lot and market it to foreigners, who might not know about those kinds of rules. There seems to be a trend of offering crazily priced (for Berlin) flats in English-language Facebook groups, as there are a lot of newcomers who compare the prices to London / Paris / New York and think they are reasonable, and don't know about limits to pricing.