Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516
Results 226 to 239 of 239

Thread: Berlin - whither should I go?

  1. #226
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,864

    Default

    Is it true there are laws that limit how much a landlord can charge to let a certain kind of property? And if so, is that specific to Berlin or does it apply all over the country?
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

  2. #227
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    16,022

    Default

    Why don't they have Street lighting? Or capitalism?

  3. #228
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Hoboken
    Posts
    3,533

    Default

    curious to know how far along gentrification is in the "cool" (or once-cool) neighborhoods. is it still somewhat affordable/edgy/bohemian?

  4. #229
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Les Pays-Bas
    Posts
    825

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    Is it true there are laws that limit how much a landlord can charge to let a certain kind of property? And if so, is that specific to Berlin or does it apply all over the country?
    Nah it doesn't really work like that. Once a tenant leaves a flat, the landlord can only raise the rent with a maximum percentage (I believe it was 5 or 10) for the following tenant. Thing is that there are lots of ways to bypass this law, one is to renovate the flat. Landlords can also still decide to sell their property.

  5. #230
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    663

    Default

    The other option is basically to just raise the price a lot and market it to foreigners, who might not know about those kinds of rules. There seems to be a trend of offering crazily priced (for Berlin) flats in English-language Facebook groups, as there are a lot of newcomers who compare the prices to London / Paris / New York and think they are reasonable, and don't know about limits to pricing.

  6. #231
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    LDN
    Posts
    1,936

    Default

    Anyone been recently?

    Going with my wife next week - anything we shouldn't miss?!?

  7. #232

    Default

    Anything you're looking for in particular? Know where you'll be staying? Recently moved back from Berlin to Wisconsin, so just sad-venting all the things I miss:

    Sites: Treptower park (incredible Soviet WWII memorial), Tempelhofer Feld, Oberbaumsbruecke (beautiful bridge connecting Kreuzberg & Friedrichshain)
    Bars: Vagabund Brauerei (craft brewery in Wedding), KEITH (Neukoelln), Ä (and other bars on Weserstr. in Neukoelln), Hops&Barley (German brewpub), most shitty old Eckkneipen (corner bars)
    Clubs: About:Blank, Salon zur Wilden Renate, Griessmuehle, Golden Gate (honestly I didn't go out enough...)
    Food: Azzam (Neukoelln), Markthalle 9 (market hall in Kreuzberg), Turkish Market on Maybachufer (Tuesdays/Fridays in Neukoelln/Kreuzberg), Thai Park on weekends (open air Thai food market in Wilmersdorf), Ixthys (great Korean spot w/ oddly heavy Christian vibes in Schoeneberg), Safari (West African food stand in Wedding. my fav), Mustafa's (touristy Kebab stand, but the best in town imo)

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crimedawgbylaw For This Useful Post:


  9. #233
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    LDN
    Posts
    1,936

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crimedawgbylaw View Post
    Anything you're looking for in particular? Know where you'll be staying? Recently moved back from Berlin to Wisconsin, so just sad-venting all the things I miss:

    Sites: Treptower park (incredible Soviet WWII memorial), Tempelhofer Feld, Oberbaumsbruecke (beautiful bridge connecting Kreuzberg & Friedrichshain)
    Bars: Vagabund Brauerei (craft brewery in Wedding), KEITH (Neukoelln), Ä (and other bars on Weserstr. in Neukoelln), Hops&Barley (German brewpub), most shitty old Eckkneipen (corner bars)
    Clubs: About:Blank, Salon zur Wilden Renate, Griessmuehle, Golden Gate (honestly I didn't go out enough...)
    Food: Azzam (Neukoelln), Markthalle 9 (market hall in Kreuzberg), Turkish Market on Maybachufer (Tuesdays/Fridays in Neukoelln/Kreuzberg), Thai Park on weekends (open air Thai food market in Wilmersdorf), Ixthys (great Korean spot w/ oddly heavy Christian vibes in Schoeneberg), Safari (West African food stand in Wedding. my fav), Mustafa's (touristy Kebab stand, but the best in town imo)
    cheers man that's very useful and much appreciated!

    Don't suppose you've got any idea about the best way to rent bikes?

  10. #234
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    663

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crimedawgbylaw View Post
    Mustafa's (touristy Kebab stand, but the best in town imo)
    did you ever go to Rueya or Imren?

  11. #235
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    663

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by benjybars View Post
    Anyone been recently?

    Going with my wife next week - anything we shouldn't miss?!?
    hey, let me know if you still need some tips - I'd be happy to help out

  12. #236
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    LDN
    Posts
    1,936

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pearsall View Post
    hey, let me know if you still need some tips - I'd be happy to help out
    Yes please!

    We leave on Thursday. Any tips on places to go, things to do etc would be massively appreciated :-)

  13. #237
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Les Pays-Bas
    Posts
    825

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by benjybars View Post
    cheers man that's very useful and much appreciated!

    Don't suppose you've got any idea about the best way to rent bikes?
    the city has been flooded with these start-up rental bikes that you can unlock using an app. one of them went bankrupt lately i believe and theyre still all over the city, some have been hacked by kids who are stunting on them. theres something surrealistic about it, the way these bicycles are parked on the most random places - in bushes, on the middle of the road, in parks, etc. it feels like being in one of these open world videogames like grand theft auto where you can just take any vehicle from any place and dump it at the next place. https://global.handelsblatt.com/comp...-mobike-918266

    alternatively you can just rent a bike at a regular bike-lending place, what part of the city will you be staying?

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to yyaldrin For This Useful Post:


  15. #238
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    663

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by benjybars View Post
    Yes please!

    We leave on Thursday. Any tips on places to go, things to do etc would be massively appreciated :-)
    just sent you a pm with my email address, just fire one off to me and I will give you some tips and ideas

  16. #239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pearsall View Post
    did you ever go to Rueya or Imren?
    Yeah, love all Imren!! Especially the one near U-Bahn Schoenleinstrasse. Azzam does a mean dner kebab as well (but if you go there, get the Fatteh!).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •