Berlin - whither should I go?

KernKätzchen

got to love the doner, super angebot! 1,50 euros :D

I just hope I can get a little record shopping done.

Lol, if you're after the Bab you can't do better than this place in Ostbahnhof (yes, weirdly, there is good food to be bought in the station). Open 24 hours, the doner is seriously decent and they also do beer. Can't remember the name unfortunately but it's pretty obvious which one it is once you get there. You can also get a Turkish pizza with a load of doner meat and (actually nice) salad in it. I always seem to end up eating there twice a day when I go to Berlin...

U-Basstard

tragic mix
go to Mauerpark flea market in P'berg on a sunday morning if you're not still in a club somewhere. There's shitloads of older stuff, including a few stalls with stacks of kosmiche krautrock classics, represses and originals. Dense is just round the corner from there too, also worth a look, nowt amazing but they have a few bits n pieces. and obviously try Hardwax and Spacehall both in Kreuzberg.... have fun.

straight

wings cru
Im off to berlin this friday and my itinerary is full of the kind of tourist raving i usually berate others for. I've been before so I know the craic with the big clubs and know my way about (kind of) but i could do with select weird afterclubs to visit between huffing wurzelpeter, can anyone help out?

Oh and how cold is it this time of year?

zhao

there are no accidents
can't help you m8 i'm entirely disconnected with the club circuit right now... might let you know about some live avant-jazz concerts if you are interested?

pretty cold but not so bad... sweater and warm jacket for walking bout at night. imagine it's similar to britain no?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I really need to go to Berlin next year. Just need the money really.

I see kode 9 is playing the berghain in January

viktorvaughn

Im off to berlin this friday and my itinerary is full of the kind of tourist raving i usually berate others for. I've been before so I know the craic with the big clubs and know my way about (kind of) but i could do with select weird afterclubs to visit between huffing wurzelpeter, can anyone help out?

Oh and how cold is it this time of year?

I went to this place Hoppstoss for depraved afterparty on boat, it was good.
http://www.arena-berlin.de/hoppetosse.aspx?flagtext=Hoppetosse

Much more punky and dirty than Watergate where we had been before (Which was wicked).

straight

wings cru
can't help you m8 i'm entirely disconnected with the club circuit right now... might let you know about some live avant-jazz concerts if you are interested?

pretty cold but not so bad... sweater and warm jacket for walking bout at night. imagine it's similar to britain no?

anything is appreciated zhao, do tell

I should be doing watergate on the friday night, stimming (whos putting out some amazing records, remember when we talked about techno on here?), solomun, hosh and isolee, unbeatable. Im so bored of london clubs being either faceless corporations with a lockdown on all the talent or grubby dalston/shoreditch k-holes, I can't wait

Last edited:

rob_giri

hoppertosse haha

yeah my favourites clubs are (in order)

Bar25, Hangar, Golden Gate, Watergate, Arena, Acud, RAW Temple (cassiopeia) - never went by for sure Berghain (Panoramabar) and Tresor. Maria if you like also.

Go for party then Aftahour, then Afta-Aftahour, then rest, then Party, then Aftahour, then Afta-aftahour, then Afta-afta-aftahour (you get the point)

Zielona Gora in Boxhagnar platz for Volkskuche kitchen, market at Boxy, Mauerpark, et al. In summer Gorlitzer park is alive but i reckon its too frosty now.

And walk around the Kotty for me to and enjoy junkie galleries.

and always rememeber (i learn the hard way) from the words of Seeed:

"Dickes B, home an der Spree,
im Sommer tust du gut und im Winter tut's weh"

'Big B, home on the Spree, in Sommer it goes good and in Winter - it hurts !'

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Two questions:

(1) I'm going to be in Berlin in December and want to find a room to rent for the month. Where should I be looking (sadly my German is crap; I have already found a fair few ads on Craigslist, but nowhere else, really)?

(2) Last time I was in berlin, I picked up a very interesting guide to the city, which was very vociferous in its criticisms of Friedrichshain as opposed to the older 'cool' areas such as Kreuzberg. In fact, the picture it painted was of Friedrichshain as an equivalent to Hoxton/Shoreditch (shudder) in London. I'd never thought of it like that, and my lack of German prevents me making a decent assessment of the comparison - any thoughts on its veracity or otherwise?

straight

wings cru
Two questions:

(1) I'm going to be in Berlin in December and want to find a room to rent for the month. Where should I be looking (sadly my German is crap; I have already found a fair few ads on Craigslist, but nowhere else, really)?

(2) Last time I was in berlin, I picked up a very interesting guide to the city, which was very vociferous in its criticisms of Friedrichshain as opposed to the older 'cool' areas such as Kreuzberg. In fact, the picture it painted was of Friedrichshain as an equivalent to Hoxton/Shoreditch (shudder) in London. I'd never thought of it like that, and my lack of German prevents me making a decent assessment of the comparison - any thoughts on its veracity or otherwise?

sounds like 'das aging hipshterguide' to me.

psherburne

In my VERY limited experience of Berlin, Friedrichshain feels a bit like New York's Lower East Side of the '00s, lots of student bars, etc. There's definitely a longstanding leftist population there, collectives, etc. And the Sunday (?) flea market is cool. But I don't think I'd want to live there. (Prenzlauerberg, meanwhile, feels like Park Slope, Brooklyn, aka "Strollerville".. But these are incredibly limited observations.)

As for gigs, I may try this this weekend, if I don't see Isolee at Watergate. Not entirely sure where it is, tho...

KÖPI bleibt vielleicht noch!
Aber die liebe WALDOHREULE schließt schon mal.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Freitag, 14.11.2008, ab 22 h
justbreathe. präsentiert:
DIE WALDOHREULE ABSCHIEDS-DISCO

mit
SHED soloaction/ostgut ton
RENÉ LÖWE scion/chain reaction/maurizio
JENNE jb./dnp music

und live
SOUND STREAM
mit Gesang von PROSUMER & JULIE VAN WART
special showcase of house classics !!!!!!!

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Nach fast sechs Jahren macht die Waldohreule zu.
Das muss mit euch und viel guter Musik gefeiert werden.
Vielen Dank an Jan und Saap für eine großartige Zeit!!!

Einige DJs die in der Eule gespielt haben:
Jordan Fields, Henrik Schwarz, Ewan Pearson, DJ Elin aka Auto-Repeat, Soundhack, Errorsmith, DJ Pete aka Substance, Bomber Harris, Nick Höppner, Carsten Klemann, Lee Jones, Markus Zorn, Philipp Lauer, Honesty, Hwa Young, TomTomGroove, Makarov, Shytrack, Zweihundert .... und Saap + Jenne!

Live sessions:
Extraproduktionen, Smith'n'Hack, A Gang Of Crows, MyMy, Waldohreule Allstars aka Three Dudes of The Whitest Boy Alive (aka Smith'n'Hack Cover Band), Booty Movement, Tschikabumm, Internationaler Wettbewerb ....
Und da waren bestimmt noch viele mehr!

///////////////////////////////////////////////
justbreathe. magazine

jenne@justbreathe.de
http://www.justbreathe.de

<260px-Strix_aluco_Waldohreule_Gesichtsschleier_2.jpg><260px-Strix_aluco_Waldohreule_Gesichtsschleier_2.jpg>

childrentalking

I'm there this weekend for Cassy's birthday thing at Berghain on Saturday. was considering Watergate on Friday but not a massive fan of the club... the crowd isn't massively removed from London in my opnion. that line up Philip just posted looks more to my taste anyway. hopefully can figure out where it is?!

Alfons

Way of the future
sounds like 'das aging hipshterguide' to me.

ha ha, sounds like it's true, from what my berlin friends tell me Kreuzberg and F'Hain have been taking over from Prenzlauerberg as the place for cheap rent, good parties and such, with a lot of the Prenzlauerberg people now being hipster parents pushing their carriages along trendy streets.

In my VERY limited experience of Berlin, Friedrichshain feels a bit like New York's Lower East Side of the '00s, lots of student bars, etc. There's definitely a longstanding leftist population there, collectives, etc. And the Sunday (?) flea market is cool. But I don't think I'd want to live there. (Prenzlauerberg, meanwhile, feels like Park Slope, Brooklyn, aka "Strollerville".. But these are incredibly limited observations.)

As for gigs, I may try this this weekend, if I don't see Isolee at Watergate. Not entirely sure where it is, tho...

KÖPI bleibt vielleicht noch!
Aber die liebe WALDOHREULE schließt schon mal.

Freitag, 14.11.2008, ab 22 h
justbreathe. präsentiert:
DIE WALDOHREULE ABSCHIEDS-DISCO

mit
SHED soloaction/ostgut ton
RENÉ LÖWE scion/chain reaction/maurizio
JENNE jb./dnp music

und live
SOUND STREAM
mit Gesang von PROSUMER & JULIE VAN WART
special showcase of house classics !!!!!!!

Nach fast sechs Jahren macht die Waldohreule zu.
Das muss mit euch und viel guter Musik gefeiert werden.
Vielen Dank an Jan und Saap für eine großartige Zeit!!!

Einige DJs die in der Eule gespielt haben:
Jordan Fields, Henrik Schwarz, Ewan Pearson, DJ Elin aka Auto-Repeat, Soundhack, Errorsmith, DJ Pete aka Substance, Bomber Harris, Nick Höppner, Carsten Klemann, Lee Jones, Markus Zorn, Philipp Lauer, Honesty, Hwa Young, TomTomGroove, Makarov, Shytrack, Zweihundert .... und Saap + Jenne!

Live sessions:
Extraproduktionen, Smith'n'Hack, A Gang Of Crows, MyMy, Waldohreule Allstars aka Three Dudes of The Whitest Boy Alive (aka Smith'n'Hack Cover Band), Booty Movement, Tschikabumm, Internationaler Wettbewerb ....
Und da waren bestimmt noch viele mehr!

///////////////////////////////////////////////
justbreathe. magazine

jenne@justbreathe.de
http://www.justbreathe.de

<260px-Strix_aluco_Waldohreule_Gesichtsschleier_2.jpg><260px-Strix_aluco_Waldohreule_Gesichtsschleier_2.jpg>

That line up is great, more interresting than watergate by far in my opinion, whish I was there. Shed, Prosumer singing and Sound Stream should be great.

By the way Philip didn't you move to berlin? (can't remember where I read that...). Kudos on the pitchfork column by the way, have been playing the shit out of What Happened? lately myself, in a weird coincidence.

DWD

Two questions:

Howdy, Baboon. What brings you to Berlin?

You shouldn't have too much trouble finding a short-let room / flat. A few friends of ours have moved over here for a spell at various times and only ended up on our sofa for a few days. They have this weird system over here in which one tenant in a flatshare often takes on responsibility for the entire rental income of the place, even though they don't actually own it - which creates a really active sub-letting market. Go into any cafe and the noticeboard will be plastered with people offering rooms / looking for rooms.

If you don't find anything in advance and enjoy a bit of danger, you'd probably land on your feet if you moved over here on spec and stayed in a hostel for a few nights while you looked around. (DISCLAIMER: I take no responsibility if you try this and end up sleeping under a hedge).

The safe thing to do would be to line something up in advance, obviously.

You could look here: http://www.fineandmine.de/en/suchen-2.html

And here: http://www.exberliner.net/exflat/request.php

The first one, in particular, seems to have plenty of furnished rooms on offer and quotes daily / weekly / monthly rates, so looks a decent place to start.

I don't know about that. I think the thing to bear in mind is that most young people in Berlin - and I'm talking about everyone under 30 here, not just art students - are pretty poor. They'll live wherever they can find a decent flat and have access to the stuff they like doing. As a result, they end up widely-dispersed through the three fun districts - Friedrichshain, Kreuzberg and Prenzlauer Berg. All three of those districts are just great places to live and offer pretty much the same stuff - bars, delis, cafes, clubs, markets etc.

Each area is perceived differently, but I can't shake the feeling that that's largely a result of people moving here from Shoreditch or Williamsburg and importing and disseminating their own ideas about which area has a higher hip quotient. I don't think most Berliners give a toss.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Hey DWD, thanks so much for your reply - and for the great links, which give me a much greater choice of potential rooms than I had!

In answer to your question, I have fallen in love with Berlin more than any other city I have ever been to, on my three visits there so far. I have a month off between jobs, and I can think of no better place to spend it - i want to get to know the city more thoroughly than I have thus far, maybe make some contacts etc etc. If I had greater proficiency in German (and I intend to spend two weeks learning whilst there), I would move there in a flash. :slanted:

Your comment about ending up under a hedge made me laugh. I do enjoy a bit of danger, though perhaps not in December.

"They have this weird system over here in which one tenant in a flatshare often takes on responsibility for the entire rental income of the place" - bizarrely enough, just like my current place in London. Crazy system, as you say.

About Friedrichshain - I do like it a lot, but on my last visit, i think I just had the misfortune to visit some overly pretentious places. Either way, I find Berlin far less irritating on the hipster question than I do London.

Thanks again for the links - great stuff. :D

DWD

Hey DWD, thanks so much for your reply - and for the great links, which give me a much greater choice of potential rooms than I had!

No worries. I hope one of them bears fruit.

In answer to your question, I have fallen in love with Berlin more than any other city I have ever been to, on my three visits there so far. I have a month off between jobs, and I can think of no better place to spend it - i want to get to know the city more thoroughly than I have thus far, maybe make some contacts etc etc. If I had greater proficiency in German (and I intend to spend two weeks learning whilst there), I would move there in a flash.

Good stuff. And I know exactly where you're coming from. My girlfriend and I moved here from London in 2005 basically on a whim and with a vague idea that we'd stay here for a couple of years and then move back. Now? No way. We're both really happy here.

Anyway, good luck with it. Feel free to PM me if you need a hand with any German, or need any advice on specific locations or what-have-you.

straight

wings cru
I just emailed the promoter of that shed/rene/prosumer party and its free in, kicking off early and just down the street from watergate so quite literally a triple whammy of fantastic reasons to go there and isolee/dynamic.

If you see a longhaired paddy, a shrimpy arab and a jew with an afro trying to explain to the bouncers that we arent in town for the England Germany friendly on wednesday, show some love