Berlin - whither should I go?

psherburne

What's that Raum 18 space like? I see they had Vex'd and Timeblind a few weeks back, unfortunately I was out of town. It's right down in my hood though, so I definitely want to check it out. Dubstep in Neukölln, sounds perfect to me.

psherburne

Also, I just saw a poster for Ramadanman, Gemmy and Guido at the Rathaus Neukölln U-Bahn, but I forget where/when the show is. Is that at the same space?

4linehaiku

Repetitive
Nah Ramadanman and Gemmy are in Mitte. Don't think Guido is playing, the other guys are locals. It's in some massive church near Weinbergpark apparently. It's free as well which is nice.

Didn't go to the last night at Raum 18, I only got to Berlin two weeks ago. However a couple of guys I know went and both swear it was the best party for ages. So I have high hopes.

zhao

there are no accidents
Raum18 is a great space. however the sound, while brutally powerful, is pretty terrible in terms of well rounded bass, cleanliness, and richness.

Staalplaat did something there last weekend...

zhao

there are no accidents
has anyone got recommendations for bars and clubs to visit in berlin that don't play minimal techno?

cheers.

Kaffee Burger has a wide variety of nights like Balkan, etc. bit of a pick-up joint.
Yaam is Reggae, Casio Pia and RAW Temple both have lots of Reggae and lots of other things.
there's a cool place in P-berg dedicated to improvised and experimental shows (name escapes me right now, but it's on Lychenerstr.)
there is the Jazz club B-Flat in Hackeshermarkt.
and i just heard about this underground dub (not step) night (not publicized) put on by ex-Rhythm and Sound man on sunday night... don't have details yet.

and i just heard about this underground dub (not step) night (not publicized) put on by ex-Rhythm and Sound man on sunday night... don't have details yet.

i'm actually intending on going to that on the sunday. it's mark ernestus, dj pete and shed playing on fiedel's (mmm) sound system.

cheers for the tips. i'm going over for a mates stag do so anywhere than can handle 20 glasgow idiots is all good.

4linehaiku

Repetitive
Hardwax do a night called Wax treatment at Horst in Kreuzberg, some techno I suppose, but more dub than mnml.

Edit: Hmm it seems we are all already aware of this one. Must try harder.

sufi

lala
there's a LOT (of minimal & non-minimal) in baboon's whither berlin thread
http://dissensus.com/showthread.php?p=27534
with which this thread should probably get merged, if no objections?

berlin has suffered enormous traumas thru history: genocide; partition; invasion..., but is it really ready for 20 weejy eejits on stag?

wonk_vitesse

radio eros

sounds interesting, any more info, i'll be in Berlin then. cheers for the other info. I saw an english stag party when i was last there, complete with matching tshirts, i just don't geddit ? must cost a fortune, the locals just larf at you as well.:)

Well into DJ Pete, him & Surgeon last year at corsica was just the best.

Last edited:

4linehaiku

Repetitive
I think he's talking about the same night I was:
wax_treatment_flyer4.jpg

I should be there, unless something disastrous occurs.

zhao

there are no accidents
I think he's talking about the same night I was
I should be there, unless something disastrous occurs.

looks about right! i heard it's the last sunday of each month... starting at 1800 is a bit odd though? i mean it's 3 hours before sunset even if the place has a view?

nothing disastrous will occur under mi sensi.

boo

there's no view, and the nice caribbean food ting is a bit misleading, but make sure to go early if you want to catch Mark Ernestus, i think he usually does the first 4 hours or so, pure digital stuff. and it's worth going just to witness Killa San.

zhao

there are no accidents
there's no view, and the nice caribbean food ting is a bit misleading, but make sure to go early if you want to catch Mark Ernestus, i think he usually does the first 4 hours or so, pure digital stuff. and it's worth going just to witness Killa San.

cool. i'll try to go early. but no jerk chicken with black beans? that's too bad...

psherburne

looks about right! i heard it's the last sunday of each month... starting at 1800 is a bit odd though? i mean it's 3 hours before sunset even if the place has a view? .

Yeah, but remember that Sunday is afterparty day for many in Berlin, so there tend to be a lot of daytime events pretty much all around. I haven't been up to this particular party yet but I've been to Horst a few times -- it's fine, a smallish club with a couple of rooms and a patio. I've never heard the Killekilla (or whatever it's called) soundsystem but I've heard that it's really something to behold.

As I mentioned in the other thread they're doing (monthly?) dubstep parties at a space called Raum 18... This weekend looks more like a digital hardcore lineup:
http://raum18-berlin.com/
LIVE Patric Catani & Chris Imler * Society Suckers * Jemek Jemowit * Christoph de Babalon * DJs Diamond Fingers * Tejo * Angelo DeVille * O Tannenbaum * SqueakyFrom * Ass Well * WestGerm *

psherburne

Also, Staalplaat recently relocated from Mitte to Neukölln, and they are hosting quite a lot of experimental performances there. I haven't been to one yet, but the shop is great, and there's a really nice big room in back where they do the performances.

http://staalplaat.wordpress.com/