who is better: paul mccartney or phil collins?

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
Then there's Phil's work as a drummer,

"John Martyn, Peter Gabriel, Brian Eno, Robert Fripp (I quite like <cite>Exposure</cite>), John Cale and even Thin Lizzy; it’s quite a list (most from the tail end of the ’70s though). Plus Phil gave us that moment in <cite>Miami Vice</cite>."

On the other hand - you have Macca trying to wrestle himself in on the sessions ("hiya - I'm Macca, this sounds interesting") of "Tin Drum" (along with Kate Bush (?) - both recording next door when Japan was doing their classic. Jansen playing on La Bush's new album I think).

Last edited:

Elan

Blackbird
I don't know about inventing techno, but McCartney sure helped heavy rock/grunge along with Helter Skelter.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
feeling a bit better now. the answer is still collins by quite some distance. i think marcus has a real point that collins oeuvre is absolutely inextricable from and completely of the time it was produced. it's pretty evocative; reminds me of my uncle (a big phil fan) and being a kid. i will write more when i've purged myself with a mxture of merzbow and girls aloud.

jenks

thread death
have just got back from my local record shop and they were playing maccas new disc and people were openly laughing at the sheer crapness of this polished turd - apparently a return to form according to dad rock mags such as word and uncut - shocking - at least phil has had the decency not to record anything in recent years.

still i think this thread should be locked cos we are being asked to make an invidious choice :D

k-punk

Spectres of Mark
Logan Sama said:
Phil Collins was involved with Turn It On Again, which is better than anything .... the Beatles did.

Well, that judgement couldn't be accused of predictable canonic thinking at least....

martin

----
I think the main difference is that if Mc Cartney was in my grasp, I would forcibly insert candiru fish up his urethra and rectal passage, whereas with Collins, I'd be tempted to try my first Columbian Necktie

soup

In a way they both encapsulate the best and worst in popular music. Both banal and sublime, in placing them together you highlight their similarity. Their journeymen attitude to their craft. The similar demographic that they service and their obvious love of Satan’s cock. You know they are both wrong but in the post modern world were guilt really does become a pleasure you decide that we should access them from a value free perspective. K punk otm with the American Psycho quote. Sure, both have made great records but they mean and effect nothing , ………a fuckin huge void.

joenice

Miriam Gonzalez lover....
I know Paul McCartney did some (key word is some) quality tunes on his own, but Phil wins this in a landslide.

PC's body of work in the 80's is up there with Prince in the 80's. it's that good people.
How good is Face Value? What about No Jacket Required? But Seriously? Enough said.....

My vote goes to Phil Collins. One other thing.....is there anyone that doesn't like Easy Lover? I'm not sure how.....

joenice said:
.....is there anyone that doesn't like Easy Lover? I'm not sure how.....

Must admit...I bought that single when it came out (cringes with embarrasment). Collins was pretty good apart from when he did those wet, boring ballads.

Someone mentioned Genesis' 'Turn It On' I think...I love that tune, but it was written by guitarist Mike Rutherford, wasn't it? Admittedly, it was Collins who added the weird time-signiture and bumped up the bpms.

Macca can eat a dick...

Last edited:

stelfox

Beast of Burden
right, i have no paid writing to do next week. i've been quietly putting myself through hell over the weekend listening to a lot more macca and (much more enjoyably) phil. i am planning on perhaps writing a big post on all the reasons phil is better – and there are a lot of them, trust me. for now, though, let's just say that joe nice is nail-on-the-head right here.

joenice

Miriam Gonzalez lover....
stelfox said:
let's just say that joe nice is nail-on-the-head right here.
thanks !!!

i'm thinking about the original question and maybe the wrong participants are here....

Maybe it should be Phil Collins vs Sting. Hmmm..

AshRa

joenice said:
PC's body of work in the 80's is up there with Prince in the 80's. it's that good people.

ARE YOU MAD?!

Besides the sheer lunacy comparing Phil Collins to Prince, i'm with Macca all the way, I love his utter guilelessness (?) that I think is the root of most people's hate for him!

Last edited:

ladyboygrimsby

joenice said:
I know Paul McCartney did some (key word is some) quality tunes on his own, but Phil wins this in a landslide.

PC's body of work in the 80's is up there with Prince in the 80's. .

This is now officially the Thread Without Ears.
:D

stelfox

Beast of Burden
joe is right, but i'll wait till i get home to explain why. the last thing i would ever call macca is guileless

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
What an ace thread.

It's tricky with Collins, as his Genesis work is so intertwined with his solo stuff. But Mama from the s/t album is absolutely awesome, and lots of Invisible Touch is good, esp. Tonight Tonight.

McCartney's solo career is bits and pieces really isn't it, and it doesn't feel particularly substantial. A lot of people really rate McCartney 1, arguing it's a bit of a precurssor of lofi singer-songwriters, a kind of Madcap Laughs type thing. But I'm not particularly arsed about it. McCartney 2 has some rather good disco moments on it I think.