Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: who is better: paul mccartney or phil collins?

Default The definitive statement

Patrick Bateman: Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where, uh, Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. ... Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. .... In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Sabrina, why don't you, uh, dance a little. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as, uh, anything I've heard in rock. ... Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and, uh, Against All Odds. .... But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by 2stepfan
    Mcartney loses on points for inventing techno.
    in his fucking dreams!

Quote Originally Posted by k-punk
    But what else has Collins done that isn't execrable?

i love "against all odds"

Collins all the way. Probably including the Beetles and Genesis actually!

No sign of Stelfox. Search teams are pushing through the wastelands of east London in a rescue mission, but it is thought that by now his exposure to mid-period Phil Collins albums may have damaged his immune system beyond repair.
    paul.meme
    Out now: Move Down Low VIP on SOUL JAZZ Records SJR225-12
    Out now: Blackdown & Dusk Meet Grievous Angel Uptown: Margins Music Redux (Keysound LDN014)
    Out now: Soundclash1 Remix / Harpy (Keysound LDN011)
    Out now: Ice Rink Refix (Devotional Dubz ERZULIE03)
    Out soon: WOOFAH 4!
    http://blog.grievousangel.net/ | http://www.myspace.com/grievousangelsoundsystem

i feel ill

Quote Originally Posted by stelfox
    i feel ill
    A nation mourns.

He is not long for this world.

What a tragic waste of youth and talent.
    paul.meme
    Out now: Move Down Low VIP on SOUL JAZZ Records SJR225-12
    Out now: Blackdown & Dusk Meet Grievous Angel Uptown: Margins Music Redux (Keysound LDN014)
    Out now: Soundclash1 Remix / Harpy (Keysound LDN011)
    Out now: Ice Rink Refix (Devotional Dubz ERZULIE03)
    Out soon: WOOFAH 4!
    http://blog.grievousangel.net/ | http://www.myspace.com/grievousangelsoundsystem

Then there's Phil's work as a drummer,

"John Martyn, Peter Gabriel, Brian Eno, Robert Fripp (I quite like Exposure), John Cale and even Thin Lizzy; itís quite a list (most from the tail end of the í70s though). Plus Phil gave us that moment in Miami Vice."

On the other hand - you have Macca trying to wrestle himself in on the sessions ("hiya - I'm Macca, this sounds interesting") of "Tin Drum" (along with Kate Bush (?) - both recording next door when Japan was doing their classic. Jansen playing on La Bush's new album I think).
    Last edited by Ness Rowlah; 07-09-2005 at 10:45 AM.
    Ness Rowlah

Quote Originally Posted by stelfox
    i feel ill
    To complete the experiment you should watch Buster back to back with Give My Regards to Broad Street. You'll never be able to keep your food down again.

I don't know about inventing techno, but McCartney sure helped heavy rock/grunge along with Helter Skelter.

feeling a bit better now. the answer is still collins by quite some distance. i think marcus has a real point that collins oeuvre is absolutely inextricable from and completely of the time it was produced. it's pretty evocative; reminds me of my uncle (a big phil fan) and being a kid. i will write more when i've purged myself with a mxture of merzbow and girls aloud.

have just got back from my local record shop and they were playing maccas new disc and people were openly laughing at the sheer crapness of this polished turd - apparently a return to form according to dad rock mags such as word and uncut - shocking - at least phil has had the decency not to record anything in recent years.

still i think this thread should be locked cos we are being asked to make an invidious choice

Phil Collins was involved with Turn It On Again, which is better than anything Mccartney or the Beatles did.
    logansama.blogspot.com
    myspace.com/djlogansama
    info@logansama.com

New show time! Monday night 11pm-1am Kiss 100
    kiss100.com

Listen to the show HERE or HERE

Quote Originally Posted by Logan Sama
    Phil Collins was involved with Turn It On Again, which is better than anything .... the Beatles did.
    Well, that judgement couldn't be accused of predictable canonic thinking at least....

I think the main difference is that if Mc Cartney was in my grasp, I would forcibly insert candiru fish up his urethra and rectal passage, whereas with Collins, I'd be tempted to try my first Columbian Necktie