who is better: paul mccartney or phil collins?

stelfox

Beast of Burden
this is quite interesting actually, moving on to prince, hip-hop and house music, especially in the light of mark's recent comments about hip-hop as all-consuming 21st century evil, i always find it pretty odd how white people who don't really like hip-hop have such high-minded expectations of black people and what blackness should be - like somehow the discursive standard should be higher, more "conscious" (bleaaarghhh!), more progressive in urban music than rock and pop. this is just daft. the constant harking back to the 80s as hip-hop's creative high point "because it talked about real things, man, and wasn't all about the benjamins" is really misleading - everybody wanted to get paid right from the off, look at eric b and rakim, pe, flash and melle mel - and somewhat odd. there is just as much socially conscious, politically engaged dancehall reggae and hip-hop as there is rock. as martin clark once said, even grime is political. maybe it's not explicit and flag-waving about it, but there's a real sense of internalised, implicit discourse, chronicling people's dreams, the mundanity of daily life, their desire for change. this can all be heard in what i'll call, for the sake of argument, "lyrical black music", with quite a bit being clearly stated in hip-hop, if you bother to actually listen to it, and more than you can dream of in dancehall. in fact, dancehall itself and the building of a dance, as stoltzoff has written (linking pretty nicely with a few of hakim bey's ideas), creates an autonmomous zone where discourse is actually made possible - the dance becoming a medium, a forum for community gathering and idea-exchange. the lesson here: don't expect everyone and everything to fit in with your idea of what they should be and society will surely reveal itself to be pretty fascinating and music a hell of a lot more fulfilling.

Last edited:

Paul Hotflush

techno head
joenice said:
Nope...not at all.

I'm not sure what you all are missing here. Prince's work in the 80's is legendary.

Sure, their music isnt really comparable...i understand that. Different styles, but my comparison was purely on the basis of a decade of music......Personally, i like Prince more than PC, but that's a different thing altogether.

If you look at each musician's body of work in the 80's....you'd have to say Prince was better.

Prince in the 80s = next level. 1000 miles ahead of anyone else mentioned in this thread.

Dubquixote

Submariner
Damn, not sure how I slept on this thread :rolleyes:

But let's face it, this is a highly personal question. Both McCartney and Collins in solo mode, despite having produced a large volume of predictable well-tailored pop music, represent the most pedestrian and hard-to-get-excited-about-especially-in-retrospect pop of their day. Having said that, no one can replace the feeling of slow dancing to "Groovy Kind of Love" with Beverly Steinhoff at the 7th Grade Dance, and for that alone Phil wins.

Dubquixote

Submariner
However, Paul's Michael Jackson collaborations "Say Say Say" and "The Girl Is Mine" deserve special recognition. Though if you consider Michael's subsequent control of the Beatles catalogue these songs seem almost like unofficial Beatles material.

k-punk

Spectres of Mark
stelfox said:
sorry mark but how was sign o the times a bad record doing anything in a bad way?

There are about four or five good tracks on it, the rest of it, like most of Prince's output, is fluff.... After this, of course, there is nothing..

it was transgressive,

well transgression is over-rated, but just for the sake of argument: in what ways was it transgressive? Because it deals with sex? Hardly breaking new ground in pop...

socially conscious,

that would be the fatuous finger-wagging of the title track ...what else? The rest is Prince's usual menu of creepy sleaze

and absolutely groundbreaking.

How so? Funk and rock TOGETHER? Wow, that'd never been done before (except by Funkadelic, Can....the list goes on)

this is just crazy talk

better crazy than lazily canonic :)

k-punk

Spectres of Mark
stelfox said:
this is quite interesting actually, moving on to prince, hip-hop and house music, especially in the light of mark's recent comments about hip-hop as all-consuming 21st century evil, i always find it pretty odd how white people who don't really like hip-hop have such high-minded expectations of black people and what blackness should be - like somehow the discursive standard should be higher, more "conscious" (bleaaarghhh!), more progressive in urban music than rock and pop. this is just daft.

In fact, of course, and as I've argued previously, exactly the opposite is the case. It is the white soulboy contingent who have different, lower, standards for black performers than they would ever dream of employing in relation to whites. 'White' genres that are relentlessly cartoonish, boorish and misogynistic are rightly derided and ridiculed. That's why Marcello's comparison of hip hop with hair metal was completely apt - but you have to ask why hip-hoppers escape that kind of disdain, why it is that much less is expected of blacks than whites.

But there's something else lurking behind this position I think: a kind of outrage that there is someone who doesn't like hip hop, as if not liking hip hop was an ethical and aesthetic flaw which automatically invalidated any other judgement the person daring not to like it could make. There's a strange circularity to the outrage: 'you don't like hip hop because you don't like hip hop', as if 'not liking hip hop' was some ethnic fate rather than a preference a person can have at particular points in their life for very good reasons. Simon's had this kind of shit in the past - people confusing not being a fan of hip hop with an inability to appreciate it.

Again, I think we have to reflect on why it is that hip hop is accorded this singular status. No-one would demand that everyone like Industrial... :)

the constant harking back to the 80s as hip-hop's creative high point "because it talked about real things, man, and wasn't all about the benjamins" is really misleading - everybody wanted to get paid right from the off, look at eric b and rakim, pe, flash and melle mel - and somewhat odd.

That isn't really the position. There's a difference between wanting to be paid, which every artist has a right to expect, and endlessly bleating on about wealth, appearing on MTV Cribs, etc. Like it or not, hip hop simply is mainstream dominant global culture in a way it never quite was in the eighties. There was still some frission, some friction then... now, when you see Jay-Z doing a Reebok commercial, you know you are looking right into the eyes of global capital.

Plus, to compare the mid-80s to now in CREATIVE terms is somewhat embarrassing for hip hop, to say the least. The breadth of hip hop then, the invention - everything from Schoolly D to the Skinny Boys to Mantronix to Boogie Down Productions (not to mention the obvious, but still untouchable Public Enemy, who were genuinely breathtaking to hear, nor worthy dullards like De La Soul and the other Naked Tongues lot) - totally shames the streamlined, predictable stuck in the mud state of the genre now.

there is just as much socially conscious, politically engaged dancehall reggae and hip-hop as there is rock.

Maybe that's the problem then.. because who would defend rock, the most reactionary and creatively bankrupt of all genres?

as martin clark once said, even grime is political. maybe it's not explicit and flag-waving about it, but there's a real sense of internalised, implicit discourse, chronicling people's dreams, the mundanity of daily life, their desire for change. this can all be heard in what i'll call, for the sake of argument, "lyrical black music", with quite a bit being clearly stated in hip-hop, if you bother to actually listen to it, and more than you can dream of in dancehall. in fact, dancehall itself and the building of a dance, as stoltzoff has written (linking pretty nicely with a few of hakim bey's ideas), creates an autonmomous zone where discourse is actually made possible - the dance becoming a medium, a forum for community gathering and idea-exchange.

This is now gone off on some soulboy tip, whereby any attack on any black-identified music becomes an attack on all black music, for all time, and any good aspects of any black music are used as a defence of the whole lot. I simply don't think there is a 'black music' in that sense. This, even though everyone knows that hip hop is propped up by a mainly white audience. I've never said anything about dancehall and my problems with Grime aren't the same as my problems with current hip hop.

It's telling that a supposed defence of hip hop quickly has to call for reinforcements from other genres, perhaps revealing how deeply in denial the hip hop fan is now. It's like old rockers sitting there, 'rock's not dead'...

the lesson here: don't expect everyone and everything to fit in with your idea of what they should be and society will surely reveal itself to be pretty fascinating and music a hell of a lot more fulfilling.

thanks for that advice. You will be extending the same courtesy to everything you disparage then Dave. :) See you at a Goth club sometime soon then?

joenice

Miriam Gonzalez lover....
Paul Hotflush said:
Prince in the 80s = next level. 1000 miles ahead of anyone else mentioned in this thread.
Yep.....exactly. thanks Paul. that's why i mentioned him.

big time.

k-punk said:
There are about four or five good tracks on it, the rest of it, like most of Prince's output, is fluff.... After this, of course, there is nothing..
*scratches head*

WHAT???? you cant be serious. Keep in mind....i've seen Prince 13 times in concert. SOTT is Prince's best album...infact, it's the compilation of 3 unreleased albums: Camille, Dream Factory and Sign Of The Times. Prince wanted to release all three of these albums at once, but Warner Bros. wasnt having that. He decided to combine all those albums into the double album called Sign Of The Times. I'm not sure how you can say there's only 5 good songs on that album.Now, if you were to say, "There's only 5 good songs on: The Batman Soundtrack, Controversy, or The Black Album", then i might have less of a disagreement, but only 5 good songs on SOTT...come on.

mms

sometimes
joenice said:
Yep.....exactly. thanks Paul. that's why i mentioned him.

big time.

*scratches head*

WHAT???? you cant be serious. Keep in mind....i've seen Prince 13 times in concert. SOTT is Prince's best album...infact, it's the compilation of 3 unreleased albums: Camille, Dream Factory and Sign Of The Times. Prince wanted to release all three of these albums at once, but Warner Bros. wasnt having that. He decided to combine all those albums into the double album called Sign Of The Times. I'm not sure how you can say there's only 5 good songs on that album.Now, if you were to say, "There's only 5 good songs on: The Batman Soundtrack, Controversy, or The Black Album", then i might have less of a disagreement, but only 5 good songs on SOTT...come on.

right this is a bit off as it brings talking about prince into the level of fandom .

hmm - speaking as someone who was a massive prince fan
camille seemed to be a different effort to sign entirely although alot of the tracks feature on it, various b sides and other things.

i do feel some of the things that mark brought up are kinda of true, it's far from my fave prince album, it's a lumbering beast with hits and misses and a milestone in 'the artist as a mature performer' which is always less interesting than what went before - it's overlong with alot of cloying irrelevant ballads and some amazing beautiful peerless songs. i think sign o' the times the main track is still excellent and understated rather than finger pointing .

As for mixing rock and funk, i think thats another off point, prince and getting back to drums, prince was the best drum programmer of the 80's, making skeletal alien patterns that were so mind bogglingly funky .

i see a linage from something like the programming in hot thing or forever in my life or even appolonia 6's 'makeup ' (which mixes amazingly with 'i love u btw) with something like ice rink by wiley.

but i feel you can reorder that record and see where Prince as a very curious and brilliant performer starts to loose it into the (although very interesting sonically, it's like christian acid or something) but rather blatant misfire of lovesexy onwards.

looking back he was better as an ambiguous performer, those skeletal alien bits pushing to the forth, that weird funky sensibility without reaching for the funk jams. that walking into rock and bubblegum pop territory and somehow princefying it, making it both alien and recognisable.
sign of the times kinda spoke too directly.

and transgressive - well the way it was presented - the ads for sign o the times, with cat (is that prince finally as a transvestite?) and stuff like if i was your girlfriend - which is creepy but its so brilliantly creepy, and again that alien thing.. the weird fragile skeleton of a melody in the background..that helium voice...

Last edited:

k-punk

Spectres of Mark
mms said:
looking back he was better as an ambiguous performer, those skeletal alien bits pushing to the forth, that weird funky sensibility without reaching for the funk jams. that walking into rock and bubblegum pop territory and somehow princefying it, making it both alien and recognisable.
sign of the times kinda spoke too directly.

Yeh, this is very well-put...

and transgressive - well the way it was presented - the ads for sign o the times, with cat (is that prince finally as a transvestite?) and stuff like if i was your girlfriend - which is creepy but its so brilliantly creepy, and again that alien thing.. the weird fragile skeleton of a melody in the background..that helium voice...

You'll get no arguments from me about 'If I Was Your Girlfriend', which is creepy in every good way, you're right ... Prince's best moment for me ... 'Strange Relationship' is similarly twisted... but, really, does anyone listen to most of the other tracks on the album?

michael

Bring out the vacuum
k-punk said:
In any case, I think there's an issue about being OF a time, and DEFINING a time ---- In every way for the worse, Collins manage to date-stamp that period, capture it for his bland midatlantic cheeky chappy cockney tax exile blue eyed soul yuppie pop ---- If you want to talk about hip hop or house, yes it was a fine time, a brilliant time --- but I prefer to think of them as fugitive lines of escape from the Dominant Pop code that Collins represented ----
That all sounds fair enough. Was just a bit concerned you were whitewashing the entire period. If by "defining" you're trying to talk objectively about numbers of records, presence in public sphere, etc. then surely Collins was much more prominent than anyone I mentioned.

The closest I can get to answering the poll is to say if I were listening to some classic hits station in the car I can imagine not changing the station if 'In The Air Tonight' came on. I can't think of a Paul McCartney song I'd want to leave on. Maybe 'Silly Love Songs'? But yeah, all of this is prefaced by context - I'd be looking for easy, nostalgic, sing-along crap.

Dumb trainspotter info: the gated reverb drum sound that's in 'In The Air Tonight' was first used by Phil drumming on Peter Gabriel's tune 'Intruder'. The two have both attempted to claim the effect. Sounds pretty shit to me. It's all over 'Hounds of Love', actually.. just listened to that again for the first time in .... 12 years??

bassnation

the abyss
michael said:
Dumb trainspotter info: the gated reverb drum sound that's in 'In The Air Tonight' was first used by Phil drumming on Peter Gabriel's tune 'Intruder'. The two have both attempted to claim the effect. Sounds pretty shit to me. It's all over 'Hounds of Love', actually.. just listened to that again for the first time in .... 12 years??

i like that drum sound - its pretty unusual. and intruder is a wicked track, that off-key piano riff, weird scaping noises and sinister vibe. i sampled it and chopped it up recently for something i was working on - pretty much unrecognisable now though which is probably a good thing.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
mark how can you call me lazily canonical because i like prince and then come up with the most rockist reactionary view of hip-hop going. ok, you don't like soulboys. nor does jim davidson. i saw him trying to put the whole of motown's catalogue into room 101 with paul merton one night a while ago. he's pretty gnostic, too, being a high-ranking mason and all that.

k-punk said:
thanks for that advice. You will be extending the same courtesy to everything you disparage then Dave. :) See you at a Goth club sometime soon then?

no i will not go to a goth club. i would hate the music and pester too many of the women to come home with me. i've always found something quite attractive about goth chicks for some reason i really don't want to examine too much.

Last edited:

owen

k-punk said:
, does anyone listen to most of the other tracks on the album?

i listen to 'the ballad of dorothy parker' whenever possible

when is the stelfox-kpunk hip hop throwdown thread going to finally start? come on, its been brewing for ages now...(have a mental picture of it ending with stelfox at slimelight heheheh)

Peak

Mull of Kintyre loathsome when it was number 1 for 6 months but, versioned as 'Valley Floyd Road' by 200-odd Charlton Athletic supporters at away games (rarely more), its oddly moving. Its the difference between colonial appropriation and exile. McCartney was singing about a bit of Scotland that he had effectively bought for exclusive use with his Beatles millions. Charlton supporters adopted the song when their own ground (The Valley) had been closed down and they were sporting nomads, playing anywhere in South/East london that would offer them space. The intense attachment of British football clubs to a sense of locality gave this version - '(The) Valley, Floyd Road; O mist rolling in from the Thames / my desire / is always to be found at Valley, Floyd road' - its unbearable poignancy. That and the inability of most football supporters to sing, which turned McCartney's smug crooning into a kind of post-punk bark.

owen

continuing the (obviously irrelevant) prince discussion, a case could be made that the real influence on the 'groove-flip' (copyright tim f) of R&B in the mid 90s had less to do with jungle or even dancehall, but was an odd refracted impact of the detuned timbres and disconnected, jitterfunk beats on SOTT things like 'dorothy parker' and 'if i was yr girlfriend'- something that makes a lot of sense if you listen to missy & tim things like 'beep me 911' or 'one in a million'- a similarly disjointed but almost liminal sensuality.

funny how (previous contribution excepted) no-one can be arsed to talk about mccartney....no-one can be arsed, he's just...there. tho i am very keen on his brief pet sounds/domestica period- 'here there and everywhere' is exquisite. solo, obviously not even worth contemplating....

monsterbobby

bug powder
now, i know i'm kinda new here... but i have to say, althouhg a lot of people clearly thought a contest between two people as utterly crap as macca and collins was gonna be a bit of a non-starter, a pointless exercise in mud slinging and rose-tinted reminiscing.. and yeh we've had a bit of both of them... but actually, six pages later, this has become, i think, a highly amusing and illuminating thread that everyone has really thrown themselves into.. maybe there's something in that. a way of getting away from that most feared of things: predictable canonical thinking. search,desperately and passionately, for some way of redeeming the iredeemable (even ifonly to prove their superiourity to some even worse fate - i guess that's a bit what it's like being a Labour pary member these days). perhaps you will find a few things you weren't expecting to find.. i dunno, maybe i'm talking shit. but it's got people off theire usual hobbyhorses, i spose.