who is better: paul mccartney or phil collins?

craner

Beast of Burden
Good times! Why are you complaining? Would you rather Westlife?

That sounds like a weird supermarket, actually. Was it Lidl or something?

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
craner, massrock, tentative andy, baboon, detention.

stelfox, you started this, see me after school.

the rest of you, if you don't stop it this instant, it'll be the same for you.

No sniggering at the back, zhao, it's not funny.

CrowleyHead

Good times! Why are you complaining? Would you rather Westlife?

That sounds like a weird supermarket, actually. Was it Lidl or something?

Remember, USA. It was Pathmark.

And my complaint is the easy listening had nothing worthwhile. It was so anodyne... I couldn't even get any Motown. It was just straight up 70's-90's whiteness. John Mayer... That one 70's folk song John Mayer stole a riff from (I think it was a David Crosby track), Sting...

Eventually I discovered we had a 80's-90's R&B selection. One manager got a hold of it, and our customers were greeted to the sight of me and a hispanic stock worker belting out "Groove Me" to anybody who passed us by.

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
I just had a beer in the dalston superstore, the staff really ARE friendly... Nice.
On the stereo, a rap song with a sample from Let Em In (upthread)... I asked and recieved blank looks... anyone got any idea?

craner

Beast of Burden
Did we ever get an answer to this conundrum?

I have changed my answer, because:

1. Macca recently prostrated himself in craven fashion in front of the fucking Queen, thereby nullifying everything of worth he has ever done, including Band on the Run and 'Wonderful Christmas Time'...

2. ...leaving 'Easy Lover' with a clear run.

3. Dave Stelfox is always right.

Leo

a friend of mine who used to work in the music industry met mccartney an an industry event about 15 years ago. said he was a total stoner, smoked up a boatload before coming out of the back room. he should get at least some credit for that.

craner

Beast of Burden
this is probably the best song ever so wins it for macca automatically:

Not according to Stelfox.

This thread is also notable for K-Punk's trashing of Sign 'O The Times, about which he is...correct, in fact.

hint

party record with a siren
Macca invented Dubstep. Halfstep drums and a drop.

... and he invented Post Dubstep with the transvestite vocals that come in at the 50s mark.

Phil Collins invented being a major international popstar despite looking like your dad and having an objectively unpleasant singing voice.

luka

if stelfox is right about everything (hes not although he has a sensible head on his shoulders) kpunk is certainly wrong about everything, including sign o the times regardless of what 'controversial' opinion craner may currently be peddling. even if it just consisted of if i was your girlfriend 12 times over it would be a classic.

craner

Beast of Burden
Yeah, but it doesn't, does it? It's got that and 'Dorothy Parker' and 'Adore' and they're all brilliant, amazing etc. etc. but then the rest is divided between the mediocre and the turgid, and there is a lot of it. 'The Cross'? Fucking hell. 'Housequake'? No thanks. 'Play in the Sunshine'? Sunny Delight. 'It's gonna be a beautiful night'? Filler. 'I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man'? Ersatz Todd Rundgren. The entirety of Side 2? Tragedy, pastiche, and farce, dolled up with punchy drum machines and pugnancious synthesisers. The opener/title track? Overly portentious, but also banal. If you were to take away 'Girlfriend', 'Dorothy' and 'Adore', the Batman soundtrack is a far superior record.

CrowleyHead

To quote the song itself, Shut up already, damn.

Also, pertaining to the main subject, McCartney made "Wonderful Xmas Time", Phil Collins has no such Xmas weaponry. Subject resolved.