firefox

mms

sometimes
Started using firefox and i think it's tasty, more secure and nicer to use than explorer.
i think it could be the first piece of open source technology that could really challenge microsoft.
anyone else use it?

Last edited:
B

be.jazz

I don't use Firefox, but I do use Thunderbird (the associated email client) and Open Office. OO has the distinct benefit of outputting in pdf.

MolexRoots

switch!
I've been using it for about half a year now, love it. All round greater feel than IE. Tabbed browsing, the little "search" bar in the top right, smooth mouse scrolling, popup blocker...niceness. Welcome to the flock ;)

Rambler

Awanturnik
I love Firefox. I was sort of sceptical about tabbed browsing being that much of an advantage, but now I use it all the time. I have two computers - a Win2000 laptop and an OS9 iMac, and Firefox is so good that I rarely use the Mac any more (Firefox doesn't come in an OS9 version); returning to the net with a clunky browser, no tabs, crappy find, pop-ups and new windows all over the place - it's just no fun. Every now and then I come across a page with a plugin that Ff can't find, which is the only disadvatage I've encountered - otherwise, I can't recommend it highly enough.

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
I am amazed how a huge software corporation like Microsoft with almost infinite resources cannot incorporate such essential features as tabbed browsing, a download manager, pop-up blocking and so on into it's browser.

Firefox is easily better than IE however I use Opera for my browsing needs. There's a little ad in top right corner and I heard rumours that the latest versions include some kind of spyware (though Adaware doens't find anything). Otherwise it is really good. It feels faster than Firefox though it has problems displaying certain kinds of pages (mostly ones that use plugins and shit like that). It's not open-source either. I like the interface and the features though. I realise this is not the most ringing endorsement but try it anyway.

There is no excuse for using IE.

Woebot

ive been using netscape under osx on the mac (safari cant handle some sorts of certificates) but i just hated the design. ugh.

yesterday i switched over to firefox and it really rocks. cleaner interface than safari, though the icons are a bit playdoughy, but at least theres no brushed chrome which i'm sick of. as for displaying stuff correctly...well it can handle http://silverdollarcircle.blogspot.com/ (always fucked under safari) so im pretty impressed :)

yeah love it.

grimly fiendish

firefox is an absolute joy. i use it on both my macs at home, and i cannot find a single fault. it even works with the notoriously picky royal bank of scotland site, which flummoxes safari and most others.

here at work i'm stuck with IE, which makes my working day just that little more miserable. (mind, i'm also stuck with OS 9. still: could be worse. they could make me use windows :))

grimly fiendish

grimly fiendish said:
and i cannot find a single fault

spoke too soon ... OK, not a fault as such, but annoying all the same.

i can never get the realplayer plugin to work properly. which means that at the moment i'm listening to andrew collins's radio 6 show through, heh, windows media player. on a mac. this seems a little perverse.

anyone else experienced any problems here? same thing happens on both my macs, one of which has a slightly older version of firefox.

(actually: i think this could the BBC's fault to be honest. but still.)

Rambler

Awanturnik
It might be the Beeb's fault (they're not always known as usability fans) - I sometimes listen to their radio files through Firefox/XP and it plays OK but none of the controls (pause/ffwd/rewind) work.

grimly fiendish

using os x, as long as you quit and reload firefox once a week or so, it should run perfectly (the newest version - 0.9, is it? - especially). but if you leave it up all the time it starts to take ages switching to and from it (or switching users, for that matter).

Neither Safari nor Firefox will display every page the way I like (Safari can't seem to automatically log me in to, say, AMG, and Firefox displays pages with multiple frames that extend beyond the window with multiple scrollbars, instead of a single one) but they're certainly the only two browsers I would ever consider (I only use IE to make sure my site works on it).

Changing the look of each program is pretty helpful though. For Safari, I've been using Safari Enhancer (http://www.lordofthecows.com/safari_enhancer.php) to get rid of the overwhelming brushed aluminum look, and for Firefox I've just downloaded one of the simple themes from this site: http://aronnax.ar.funpic.de/.

It makes each program visually bearable.

(there's also a convenient way to <a href="http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20040516220739506">decrease Safari's loading time</a>.

cozen

is there any way to increase the scroll speed in firefox? it's the only real thing that deters me from using it. in safari, holding down ctrl or alt or one of those keys in the lower left and pressing down makes the page scroll in blocks rather than one line at a time which is handy for scrolling up and down pages - doing the same in firefox takes interminably long.

cozen

yeah those'd work but I'm not sure I have them on my g3 ibook; or I mean I've looked for them, never found them.