Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BoC - The Campfire Headphase

Default BoC - The Campfire Headphase

Its lovely. All filtered sunlight and tussock scratching across my ankles until I got to the top of the sand dune and the wind started whipping my face.

Perfect soundtrack to Ursula Le Guin's 'Searoad', which I'm currently relishing.

"...he went on finding Japanese glass netfloats every winter on this beach, years after anyone else had found one. Some of the floats he found had limpets growing on them. Bearded with moss and in garments green, they had floated for years on the great waves, tiny unburst bubbles, green, translucent earthlets in foam galaxies, moving away, drawing near."

Heard it recently, and got to say I thought it was a good deal less challenging and beguiling than their previous work, which I already wasn't a fan of.

Thats what I thought at first (only I like their stuff a lot). True, it doesn't do the enchanting eerie / bittersweet thing to the same degree... its softer than that.

Just once i want to read a boards of canada review which

a) is extremely cold and clinically technical
    b) does not compare their music to anything.

this is your chance to please me.

A further revisionist retro-future pop album of forgotten memories distilled into textured melody that will either thrill or bore the listener, depending on mood and cynicism.

Hows that?

not a bad start... needs more discussion of synth patches & sampler techniques that avoids use of the words "warm" or "crunchy"

I've only listened to it once, but found it boring. I was hoping they'd at least move the sound on. It sounds like Music has... will always be a weight around their necks.

Quote Originally Posted by micmack
    I've only listened to it once, but found it boring. I was hoping they'd at least move the sound on. It sounds like Music has... will always be a weight around their necks.
    they have moved it on i think - i liked it which is a first for me - except for beautiful place which i reckon is their best.
    never liked the last two albums

Quote Originally Posted by micmack
    some of those cloying synth noises they use on their 2nd album literally make me feel queasy - something about them that hits you in the pit of the stomach. had the same kind of feeling with some richie hawtin tracks.

its not bad music, just a tad dull - unless your stoned.

Quote Originally Posted by bassnation
    some of those cloying synth noises they use on their 2nd album literally make me feel queasy - something about them that hits you in the pit of the stomach. had the same kind of feeling with some richie hawtin tracks.

its not bad music, just a tad dull - unless your stoned.
    yeah i couldn't bare it when it was first out - found it a bit sick making and too dense - but it seems ok now

I think they have moved on a bit, albiet subtly. There's all the guitars now, and a lack of all the dialogue samples from previous. There's still some really gorgeous melodies in places. Admittedly, we have been seeing gradual 'diminishing returns' from BoC, but it'll still worth having I reckon. my fave track at the mo' is 'dayvan cowboy' - huge!

all u BoC hataz R mad!
    new 1 is fab as were other 2!

Funny, I get that same queasy feeling from Geogaddi as well. I can barely stand to put it on. MHTRTC, on the other hand, was one of those albums that felt so perfect (a la Loveless) that I never wanted to hear another sound from them again (which of course ended up being the case with MBV). I just wanted it to stand as the beginning-and-end of BOC, for me at least. I think that's why it took me a year or two to finally get the follow up and it still feels like an unwanted sibling.
    Last edited by nomos; 15-09-2005 at 01:51 AM.

i loved MHTRTC too, and was GIVEN geogaddi, listened once to about half of half the songs and then never put it on again. . . i hadn't thought about it but, now that it's mentioned, queasy is exactly how i would describe the feeling.

if only i had some dj godfather mixes as a chaser.. hinthinthinthinthint

Quote Originally Posted by minikomi
    i loved MHTRTC too, and was GIVEN geogaddi, listened once to about half of half the songs and then never put it on again. . . i hadn't thought about it but, now that it's mentioned, queasy is exactly how i would describe the feeling.

if only i had some dj godfather mixes as a chaser.. hinthinthinthinthint
    ha ha! sorry mate, i keep forgetting. why don't you send me an email tonight so when i get home i'll remember