GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

MATT MAson

BROADSIDE
Can we please stop having this 'why aren't the majors backing grime' debate? It's not their fault it doesn't sell, or they would happily sell it. I know they'd rather sell rock and there's all sorts of other politics, but that's basically how it works.

Let's face it, grime just hasn't been very good for a little while now. I'm sure Logan and some others may disagree, but I think the state of the scene speaks for itself.

MATT MAson

BROADSIDE
Ok - "The grime scene isn't very good right now."

I think Ruff Squad are incredible, I love a lot of grime artists, but right now the 'scene' is not winning on aggregate. A clip of music in at 1 min 16 on some download doth not a scene make.

I think it's a shame, and it doesn't mean it can't still be a healthy undeground movement, I hope it is, but all this talk of the majors not giving it a chance is misleading. They did give it a chance. It didn't work out. Oh well, on to nu-rave, Lily Allen and another euphoric breakdown album for them.

Maybe it's because I don't live in London anymore, I'm getting the wrong end of the stick, but I was over there last week and everyone I spoke to still involved in the scene in some way was less than optimistic about it. Wiley isn't the only insider who's given up on it.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
No one has given up on it. I don't want major labels to back grime. I want some grass roots investment and some decent vocal producers to cultivate the creativity into some better end product.

Major labels throwing money into a hole has never done any genre of music any good. And seeing as in 2007 there are 6 Grime albums scheduled for a release in the first half of the year, I would say it is doing better than it has in a long while. Sales are up, output is up, quality is up. It just needs a helping hand to make it something which is marketable, without resorting to knocking out endless wifey riddims and heartbreak avenues.

DJL

i'm joking
I think it's a shame, and it doesn't mean it can't still be a healthy undeground movement, I hope it is, but all this talk of the majors not giving it a chance is misleading. They did give it a chance. It didn't work out.

They gave it a chance but only in a watered-down form. They were unable to sell the genuine article through their own misconceptions. Now the people who hold the purse strings at the majors won't do anything because they think the music causes gun crime. They can see no further than their Sunday papers. They don't give a shit about talent and progress. As Logan says they aren't the people the grime scene needs.

Jungle started getting about more when compilations of tracks were put in places like HMV/Virgin etc with genuine big tunes in the scene on. Don't think the first ones were even mixed. A bit of well created and placed mainstream tv advertising was all that was needed to get people interested as far as I remember. I heard Ruff Sqwad saying they are getting their cds in HMV in 3 months on that pyro set. If they could get some tv advertising to go along with their genuine mind-blowing music they could start making further in-roads.

This situation is filtering out all the shit though - the people just in it for fame and money with no talent - so its not all bad for the moment.

gumdrops

I heard Ruff Sqwad saying they are getting their cds in HMV in 3 months on that pyro set. If they could get some tv advertising to go along with their genuine mind-blowing music they could start making further in-roads.

who on earth gets tv adverts for underground black, sorry, urban music in the uk though? unless your lemar, beyonce, or someone like that or 'hottest R&B hits of the past week', its not happening. im optimistic, and im sure there will still be good songs and good beats here and there from now on, maybe even good albums (although even though logan said the number of grime artists releasing albums this year is more than ever before, i wonder how many of them will actually be identifiably grime - it looks like theyre just gonna be british rap music), but as a 'scene', grime doesnt seem to be at its best right now. i listened to the latest logan show and found a lot of those tracks just boring and too hip hoppy. maybe its wrong to generalise it as a 'scene' - god knows the artists are 'diversifying' their music so much im not sure what the sound is anymore really...

Last edited:

luka

on a level, its all about
respect coob
you need to hear that, track is too fucked. biggest thing for a long time. beat is too much.
you can hear it at coobs myspace page

Last edited:

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
who on earth gets tv adverts for underground black, sorry, urban music in the uk though? unless your lemar, beyonce, or someone like that or 'hottest R&B hits of the past week', its not happening. im optimistic, and im sure there will still be good songs and good beats here and there from now on, maybe even good albums (although even though logan said the number of grime artists releasing albums this year is more than ever before, i wonder how many of them will actually be identifiably grime - it looks like theyre just gonna be british rap music), but as a 'scene', grime doesnt seem to be at its best right now. i listened to the latest logan show and found a lot of those tracks just boring and too hip hoppy. maybe its wrong to generalise it as a 'scene' - god knows the artists are 'diversifying' their music so much im not sure what the sound is anymore really...

Kano - Is This Grimey Enough - 679
Kano - Anger Management Freestyle - 679
Lethal B - Mr - Lethal Bizzle Records
Dirty Goodz - Smash - Dub
Roll Deep - Celebrate (Jme Remix) - Roll Deep
Jme - Serious Remix - Boy Better Know
Ruff Squad - Xtra - Ruff Squad
Ruff Squad Ft Bashy, Wretch 32 & L Man - Xtra Remix - Love Doe
Tinchy Styder - Breakaway - Takeover
Dirty Goodz - Switching Songs Part 2 - Dub
Ghetto - Top 3 Selected - Adamantium Music
Keedo - Top 3 Selected Freestyle - Dub
Wretch 32 Ft Ghetto - Fed Up Of Grinding - M.O.V.E.M.E.N.T.
Trim - Money Up Front Part 1 - Soul Food Vol 1
Dimples - D.I.M.P.L.E.S. - Reignessence
Jender - Nice - Dub
Dollar The Dustman - Bouces Road - Dub
President T - This Little Yout - Sounds Of The President T
Chronic Ft Wiley, Skepta & Esco - Bumbaclart Badman - Slew Dem
Scorcher - Fly Away - M.O.V.E.M.E.N.T.
Ghetto - Stage Show Don - M.O.V.E.M.E.N.T.
Doctor - Dun That - Dub
Aftershock - Work - Aftershock

Did most of those vocals really sound like hip hop? And did you listen to the mix? I always play the grimiest of instrumentals. I'm not being rude, I am just really interested that this perceived proliference of hip hop exists without me noticing.

DJL

i'm joking

All you need is enough money to get an advert on tv.

Grime isn't going away. I've been djing hip hop in clubs recently and the grime tracks which sound a bit like hip hop are great for slipping in and getting people interested. People are like "what is this?" and then I say "its grime". Before fairly recently people didn't know what it was but that is definitely changing with people looking enthusiastic when they are told nowadays. Ragga and more traditional grime also goes well together when I'm playing out to non-music expert crowds.

Sometimes it takes a while for people outside of the loop to understand something new. Grime is so misunderstood it has taken even longer but it's happening. Patience and not-giving up are what is important imo.

tom pr

I've been djing hip hop in clubs recently and the grime tracks which sound a bit like hip hop are great for slipping in and getting people interested. People are like "what is this?" and then I say "its grime". Before fairly recently people didn't know what it was but that is definitely changing with people looking enthusiastic when they are told nowadays.
When I've had the chance I've been playing JME to people up here (Aberdeen) who were completely unfamiliar and uninterested with grime, and now they're always quoting his bars and asking me to play his stuff. Usually I'm the last person anyone asks to choose some music! ;)

I'm slowly going to work away at them with Wiley and Ruff Sqwad. They love Afrikan Boy though.

Grim.d

sway

But seeing all these artists who flirt with association with Grime and street to give their average music credibility like N Dubbz, Sovereign, Lily Allen and Sway, whilst actual pioneers of music are neglected and clueless mainstream djs champion a piss poor knock off with a better melody really irritates me.

And to re-iterate; Hadouken can collectively suck their mothers.[/QUOTE]

I'm following the grimes from outside the uk and feeling the sound more than any other music being made at the moment. I picked up sway's this is my promo 1 an 2 because no new grime had come in. id even be prepared to admit his beats are kind of average like you say but there is nothing average bout that mans lyrical talent. hes got a sharp intellect and a real skillful way of turning it into words. Just have to check the theifs theme freestyle or that liars accapella . straight fury. to throw him in with sov and lily allen is (ive never heard of ndubbz) just straight disrespect. i'm outside of the politics of the scene and i know he chats some crap on wonders album but grimey men should stand up an send it back.

musics a fam. no point disregarding talent cause of politics.

I had to do a search for hadouken and yep they can SUCK THEIR MUMS

viktorvaughn

Lady Sov is proper Grime surely, just fairly poppy. hardly fair to compare her to wastemen like hadukon who are just ripping it off. It's not like she's some toff ripping off the sound...

bun-u

Trumpet Police
I'd argue that the likes of your Hadoukens & Lady Sovs are actually what you need to help make a scene....every new music genre has had its originators (the people who create the sound and build a scene around it) and the people who make a quick buck on the back of them (chart-lite versions, bandwagon jumpers) - this happens all the time and you can trace it back to god knows when. Whatever you say about their motives, the bandwagon brigade are usually the ones who will switch the masses onto the scene, making it viable in the long-run. That General Levy jungle tune was berated at the time by all the true junglists but it (and the lite 'intelligent' drum and bass tunes) switched lots of people onto that music – a scene which is still viable today. As blissblogger was mentioning the other day - it's usually those people who come into the scene through this route that end up being more militant about the real deal artists/tunes (i.e. the people who get into grime through Hadouken will probably end up saying that proper grime is nothing except a Nasty Crew set from Deja in 03).

I’m not down with the Hadouken sound, but having thousands of indie kids being exposed to grime-influenced sounds can only be a good thing for the scene.

Last edited: