GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

STN

sou'wester
The article was just very arch really. I'm a bit fed up of people who think moaning is automatically funny.

mos dan

fact music
I shall assume that Wiley pitch you made to the Grauniad wasn't accepted then Dan?

http://music.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,,2080159,00.html

it's running on friday. 650words, had to be cut from the original commissioned length of 1300words "because of a lack of adverts this week" (presumably meaning less page space), which i think is a fantastically random excuse.

as to 'Rosie Swash'.. wtf? blatantly someone's pseudonym. love how these people actually seem to enjoy picking holes in why grime 'failed to take off', having (presumably) shown no interest in it since Showtime came out. "is it any wonder...?". pseudo-omniscient wench. like you have a clue.

Last edited:

hucks

Your Message Here
Wouldn't be surprised if this review was a taste of what's to come from the Dizzee and Wiley album reviews in the mainstream music press. Dizzee has moved on and up and has taken on loads of external influences and now sounds like rock bands we know and like whereas Wiley, well, he's still doing grime, innee? And no one likes grime anymore...

viktorvaughn

Wouldn't be surprised if this review was a taste of what's to come from the Dizzee and Wiley album reviews in the mainstream music press. Dizzee has moved on and up and has taken on loads of external influences and now sounds like rock bands we know and like whereas Wiley, well, he's still doing grime, innee? And no one likes grime anymore...

Yeah i hate the fact that Dizzee is being presented as having moved on from the juvenile dead-end of genre of Grime into some fantastic, eclectic modern urban music and Wiley is still stuck in 2004.

johnny was a bad boy is shit, he shouldve just realeased the beat
the album is pretty forgettable lyric's wise - some of the bars on the tunnel vision series are much better

gumdrops

not to be over critical but like most wiley bars from the last couple of years, most of the album sounds rushed. but then thats how he likes to work and i dont think his heart is really in it anymore so.... like i said before, i dont mind that hes decided to retire from emceeing.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
His heart is fully in it. That's the only reason he still makes music. Because he cannot stop and he is literally obsessed with it.

He doesn't know what to do with his time if he isn't going to the studio that day.

28 Gun Nice Boy

not to be over critical but like most wiley bars from the last couple of years, most of the album sounds rushed. but then thats how he likes to work and i dont think his heart is really in it anymore so.... like i said before, i dont mind that hes decided to retire from emceeing.

I think the 'rushed' quality of Wiley's 2006 output is actually what can make it so engaging; the Tunnel Vision series is like a condensed pirate radio session, there's some crap on there for sure but when it's hype the energy levels are upped. No other grime MC does that whole stream of conciousness thing (on Crash Bandicoot for instance) better than Wiley. In about fifteen years time some one will compile, re-master and re-package all the best tracks from 'Da 2nd Phaze' and 'Tunnel Visions' that didn't make it on to 'Play Time is Over' and The Guardian and all those other middle brow music journalists will go ape for it, lamenting the fact that the kids don't make music like this anymore...I'm convinced.

Cornflake

so am i suppose to make a new forum to make mention of seb zero's album? I dont know if anyone has listened to it? Some crazy tunes for sure!

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
The article was just very arch really. I'm a bit fed up of people who think moaning is automatically funny.

I quite agree. The Guardian is particularly bad for that.

I think Wiley occasionally doesn't always carry off the braggadocio and sounds just whiney - like I said, I don't think he's beyond criticism, even if he is a great artist.

Any other votes for "live-vocalled" mix cds?

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
I always hated "live vocalled" mix Cds. For exact reason that they were not live vocalled.

Getting a DJ to record a mix in a studio, and then afterwards getting an MC to record an 'as live' vocal over the top completely removes the exciting dj/mc live dynamic. They always bored the shit out of me.

tox

Factory Girl
There's a short article/interview in the back of Dazed and Confused this month about the new Wiley record. Not much in the way of opinion in there, but its certainly positive to see Dazed at least still running a few bits on Grime. Its easily short enough for a comfortable read in WHSmiths or Borders. The issue has The White Stripes on the cover and the Wiley article is in the music section near the back...

mos dan

fact music
Yeah i hate the fact that Dizzee is being presented as having moved on from the juvenile dead-end of genre of Grime into some fantastic, eclectic modern urban music and Wiley is still stuck in 2004.

yeah, this is a horrible, not to mention completely facile notion innit.

the thing is if you check the album reviews of 'playtime is over' in wiley's myspace pics (scans of mag reviews), they're all pretty positive. they're all re-written from the press release, of course (isn't everything?), but nevertheless.

gumdrops

can we have a separate playtime is over thread? i like the album for what its worth - i made my own 35 min version though, without the sappy ballad tracks, which is great. i think this is easily one of the best grime albums so far.

what i wanna know though is why oh why hasnt the skepta album been released? was listening to some of his sets in the last week - hes one of the best and has been for the past few years. there really should be something more from him.

Yet

what i wanna know though is why oh why hasnt the skepta album been released? was listening to some of his sets in the last week - hes one of the best and has been for the past few years. there really should be something more from him.

skepta still gets huge ratings? where is the workrate?

I don't understand how he evades criticism depite using other's bars, slightly 'singing' and all that

any other mc would've got cussed out by now lol

gumdrops

im not so bothered about the workrate. hes just better. thats what counts. id rather he didnt release 5 million mix-cds of varying quality in case it ruins it. but one album or an EP or something would be nice. maybe its better he doesnt release it actually - might not be as good as we all thought. not heard him 'singing' although i did hear newham gens do a sing song thing the other week which was a bit weird lol. hopefully they dont make a habit out of it (although it was kinda funny).

mos dan

fact music
im not so bothered about the workrate. hes just better. thats what counts. id rather he didnt release 5 million mix-cds of varying quality in case it ruins it. but one album or an EP or something would be nice. maybe its better he doesnt release it actually - might not be as good as we all thought. not heard him 'singing' although i did hear newham gens do a sing song thing the other week which was a bit weird lol. hopefully they dont make a habit out of it (although it was kinda funny).

latest issue of rwd implies skeppie is hoarding his best material for greatest hits, which is being delayed because he has an impossible choice to make about whether to wait for mike skinner to be ready to release it (in september? november? never?), and aim for some kind of kano-esque level of success, or alternatively to just get it out on bbk and move on. i think he's right to wait, it'll be worth it. his freestyles are fucking next level, so are his produccies, if the recorded 'songs' he comes up with can match that raw talent then he's laughing...