GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

gumdrops

really? so the beats might actually put it out? cool. id like to see that. makes a change from the boring artists mike skinner usually releases (but it better not end up like kanos first album, a bit of this and a bit of that). fingers crossed...

mos dan

fact music
187482963_90e89e2b1b.jpg

http://ilovefwd.com/

Good to see they've taken on board the massive enthusiasm and interest from all quarters shown in JME's birthday bash, relative to the complete disinterest - even, in fact especially, on the dubstep forum - in the now over-familiar weekly roster of Youngsta b2b Benga b2b Hijak b2b Skream b2b Hatcha... all rounded off with a 37-hour long set from N-type.

I'm sure it'll sell out every week because Plastic People is tiny and everyone's heard of dubstep now, but for me it's long since ceased to be anywhere near compulsory or definitive. FWD is just any dubstep night now.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Where's that poster from - is it made up? nothing on the site.

You Londoners are spoilt. You've had too much of a good thing. Youngsta was absolutely fucking inspirational when he played up here. Of course I suspect that the challenge of playing in a small town and having to work harder brings the best out of the people who play here - certainly the burden of being the main artist on the night means people like Youngsta up their game a bit. But nevertheless, FWD is an AMAZING event. I wouldn't be so dismissive of it.

It's like Eric Morecombe - "You'll miss me when I'm gone".

benjybars

village elder.
johnny was a bad boy is shit, he shouldve just realeased the beat
the album is pretty forgettable lyric's wise - some of the bars on the tunnel vision series are much better

are u actually dumb?!? johnny was a badboy is a HUGE track..

and wiley didn't make the beat anyway

Dr Venom

Wild Horses
sorry to appear a little dim but has that fwd poster been MS paint'ed (looking for the equivilant to 'photoshop'ed' there) or is that actually up somewhere in East London? Its just it looks a little pixelated...

viktorvaughn

Yeah the red diagonals are well pixelated.

What the fuck is 'back to the future 1991' as i'm actually going FWD that night. The week before is actually a big big line-up. I trust Oris still reps the harder breakier stuff?

I do know what yr saying tho dan, i'm listening to Allstars 5 that i got in the post today and it sounds kinda dry. I also got the first Icerink EP in the parcel and we are talking a different level of music.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
187482963_90e89e2b1b.jpg

http://ilovefwd.com/

Good to see they've taken on board the massive enthusiasm and interest from all quarters shown in JME's birthday bash, relative to the complete disinterest - even, in fact especially, on the dubstep forum - in the now over-familiar weekly roster of Youngsta b2b Benga b2b Hijak b2b Skream b2b Hatcha... all rounded off with a 37-hour long set from N-type.

I'm sure it'll sell out every week because Plastic People is tiny and everyone's heard of dubstep now, but for me it's long since ceased to be anywhere near compulsory or definitive. FWD is just any dubstep night now.

come on fella you cant have it both ways. at least they're booking more grime at FWD again. i agree the night isn't what it was - but how could it be, the scene's gone global, with the DJs playing all over each friday not hanging out at FWD - but still it's a better mix of people than most dubstep nights. put on some dubstep night at 333, Herbal or Fabric and tell me you get a more diverse and interesting audience? bollocks you do...

mos dan

fact music
sorry to appear a little dim but has that fwd poster been MS paint'ed (looking for the equivilant to 'photoshop'ed' there) or is that actually up somewhere in East London? Its just it looks a little pixelated...

ms paint

yeah fair play blackdown - i'm just continuing to wage my campaign from a different angle now. and no, i definitely wouldn't rather go to herbal or fabric - ldn nightlife is disappointingly bland atm (and yes, i know i'm spoilt, so sue me). i had a great time at 'do it' at the scala though, that was cool; it's not like i'm not looking for new/big nights...

gumdrops

it does the job. its for guardian readers. theyre not going to know much else about wiley so you got across to them stuff about wiley via what they will know about him.

Last edited:

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
What happened to Hyphy is it got shelved by the labels because it was too much effort to turn into easy big profit and it was doing more harm than good for them by taking attention away from their big name acts.

The majors blocked them just as much as the smaller independents did. In fact I am sure that it isa convenient excuse from majors to not look like the bad guys by laying blame on regional independents making it impossible to sign Hyphy acts and spin them into bigger bonuses for Directors.

It happens here.

Lack of organisation of the few is used as an excuse for ignoring the many.

The Bay Area Rap Scene awards were shut down because it was TOO FULL of people. Does that sound like a failure then? To me that sounds identical to Eskimo Dance being banned from SE1 because 3000 people turned up to get into a venue that holds 1500 and the police were shit scare dof the 1000 or so people who stayed outside roaming about looking intimidating.

The grime scene has many flaws, but none of them are enough to be a genuine excuse for people to ignore it. There is no serious trouble at raves anymore. No one dies or gets shot or even stabbed at events in 2007. There has not been a serious violent incident at a single Dirty Canvas, one person was punched once in all of the Straight Out Of Bethnal events, Sidewinder has had one gassing and one glassing in the last 2 years of events. Although I am not holding out much hope for the Marcus Nasty and Wiley meeting that will inevitably occur at Sidewinder's Hip Hop showcase this weekend. I fear it could lead to fisticuffs, but nothing more.

There are a lot of excuses over here from people who could help and nurture the scene should they so wish. Getting some of these incredibly fucking talented people into a real studio with a real vocal producer and engineer so they can take this raw sound we have and arrange it into something that can work in a club and eventually daytime radio. That doesn't even take major label interest. It just takes some interest from some intermediate level labels.

It frustrates me, and it is the same thing that happened to Hyphy. It is easier to shelve it and stop it drawing attention away from major labels main interests than actually develop it into something profitable.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Major labels sign and shelve acts ALL the time. It is a regularly used practise.

And as I said it applies to Hyphy clearly I don't think it is a conspiracy against Grime. It is a conspiracy against any form of music or acts which take attention away from acts that Major labels conspire to make large profits from. If the acts are generating a large amount of interest and attention, but majors do not know how to turn that into sales and revenue, said same acts get blocked and/or shelved.

I blame no one for any lack of money. There has been great success in Grime as I personally consider some of the music created to be the most exciting I have heard from this fine country. I don't judge success on money made. I judge businesses on money made, and no-one has any obligation to invest in anyone else should they not want to.

And you have a really awful, offensive attitude. You should sort that out if you want to actually be a productive member of this community rather than a playting the malcontent making sweeping derogatory remarks.

Jezmi

Olli Oliver Steichelsmein
On the bright side of life, I got a copy of Stageshow riddim from Uptown today. It has (i think it's called) Reggae on the flipside.
Plus I picked up Cockney Violin (by Caspa) there, left the shop and heared it being banged out of another (forget the name) recordshop 100 metres further.

mos dan

fact music
this is a discussion board, a place where people have different opinions. I disagree a lot with people over here.

i will react heavily (offensive probably) when people blame others, demand respect, and humiliate others. this is the part of hiphop and grime culture i detest and hold responisble for a lot of what's wrong in the music world and in society as a whole.

i don't even know what you're talking about, but you're on a fucking mad one when you say "stop blaming others for your own lack of succes" (sic) - that doesn't even make sense.

unless i've been sleeping, and in actual fact logan sama is a grime or hyphy mc who has been dropped from a major label because they wanted to concentrate their funds on more conservative artists? anyway polz, wtf are you doing here if you're just here to shoot people down?