GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Blackdown

nexKeysound
i'm gonna keep saying it, but chipmunk's fire, alie?

such a cheap video, such a great song. that beat is just colossal, and chipmunk is clearly star material.

really dont get chipmunk tbh, and that video doesnt change my mind. was it recorded on stage at his school?

i think a huge amount to whether you like an mc, regardless of their bars, is whether you like their flow and vocal signature in general. whereas i've loved other wiley protege's signatures (diz, jme, skepta, trim and to an extent tinchy) chipmunk's doesnt work for me.

also he looks like he's trying too hard to be confident, when visually he looks so young. it doesnt add up. whereas when you see skepta you know he's real.

gumdrops

thats sort of how i feel actually. he has a really good flow but theres just no gravitas there. doesnt really make a lasting impression or stick out. hes just another technically brilliant, but ultimately indistinct MC.

hes sort of like a grime fabolous, for little girls (and maybe teenage boys too). what ive noticed with the 'youngers' is that they seem to be trying to sound very 'assured', maybe before they really are on that level.

Last edited:

continuum

smugpolice
thats sort of how i feel actually. he has a really good flow but theres just no gravitas there. doesnt really make a lasting impression or stick out. hes just another technically brilliant, but ultimately indistinct MC.

I think it's the potential he shows which is exciting

you know he's real yeah?

lol

I think youse guys personal preferences are clouding your ear drums. he's nowhere near the finished article but he's 16 man...he's over sick for 16. and yes the potential is there...he could take out most MC's in a few years...

unless your with him for a couple of days in the bits then you can't really say whether his confidence is valid or not. I do know that the man behind him are serious so that could easily account for it...

can't believe I missed rascal - was he spitting old bars (warning - if the answer is yes I may harm myself)?

what does everyone think of asher d coming back (or just doing depends on how you look at it) to the scene? anyone heard the mixtape?

gumdrops

has skeptas album been discussed here? i quite like it. he doesnt always sound as fiery or urgent as he does on a lot of his live sets but thats nitpipcking - this is a good album. could have done with more beats like the title track and less of the pared down more relaxed slower sounding ones as skepta really sounds fierce on those (like most grime mcs) but he makes the tracks work even when the beats arent that great. hes a strong presence. the 'look whos talking' style intro makes me laugh in any case (that probably wasnt the intention though). in a corner sounds fucking brilliant at the beginning, sort of like earlier BIDC-ish grime, but then it goes into a not so good modern DNB beat. :(

bun-u

Trumpet Police
I can't believe there is a single Chipmunk hater out there, the guy has everything, he's the new Wiley...has his style, confidence and has his 'tiger/dyper' style flow. The 3 or so times I've seen him spitting live everyone around him (other mcs/djs) just look like a bunch of overly proud fathers

I can't believe there is a single Chipmunk hater out there, the guy has everything, he's the new Wiley...has his style, confidence and has his 'tiger/dyper' style flow. The 3 or so times I've seen him spitting live everyone around him (other mcs/djs) just look like a bunch of overly proud fathers

ive consistently been hearing about chipmunks "swagger" or confidence. it seems to carry him through when he's on radio, or mixtapes, he's skippy on tracks ("im set for sends, im well set for sends") - but im not sure he can perform in front of the camera just yet. of course hes only 16, and this sort of thing comes with time. only caught him live once, and he doesnt have much stage presence, being so small... but still amazing for a sixteen year old.

the proud father thing is so true!! people have definately got a respect for him

RAISED BY WOLVES

I just want to go on the record as saying i don't understand peoples adamant chipmunk praise either. The Kid's allright, but his "exuberance" annoy's the shit out of me. He just sounds like he's trying to hard to be dope. That's not dope.

I Rate Griminal alot higher, if he can step his content levels up a bit, he'd be a really good all around MC. His voice and flow are both fresh to me. If chippy's Fabolous, Grim reminds me of a young Jada.

I remember seeing Chipmunk in Scala by accident about eight months ago, little set thing with Ice Kid (remember him?!), he had a decent little flow then and he's better now. I don't quite understand the massive hype but he's good, potentially great I personally think.

oh, and Griminal too. I need to hear a mixtape before I pass real judgement but he's looking like the real deal I think. Touch wood.

At the Dirty Canvas Tinchy album party Chipmunk definitely stood out. Wiley definitely had that proud dad thing going on. Having heard a few more sets I really rate him, as someone said he sounds hungry, he has an intensity of flow that is much more old-school grime than Skepta and JME, who I find can sound a bit simplistic. Don't really like this single though.

So sick to hear Dizzee and Double on classic jungle! Dizzee seems to have gone for it more than in the Rinse set. I've given up on ever hearing 'Generally Speaking' but I suppose it doesn't matter as long as they still have a regular radio slot. In a way it's better not to have to compromise anything I suppose.

I've given up on ever hearing 'Generally Speaking' but I suppose it doesn't matter as long as they still have a regular radio slot. In a way it's better not to have to compromise anything I suppose.

in a way i completely agree - but how many sick beats have been coming from those newham generals shows? too many to leave it to radio - they've got to put out something ffs, its just a crying shame to think that one of grime's most talented artists has only a bootleg solo mixtape and a half-baked crew mixtape to his name (forgetting the countless hours of radio shows and live performance murkages)