GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

lil flip

Re: HIMTM

auerfeld said:
The Tate tell us they had 2500 young people through the door, talking to Asher D, JME, Skepta, Bruza, Wonder, DJ Cameo and Fumin among others.

I came along to this and was really impressed by the event. It was great to see such alot of young people having fun whilst being able to get involved creatively.
There was a very positive atmosphere and I think HIMTM and The Tate deserve credit for organising this.

(Bruza did a lively little set too. Very bouncy) :)

Blackdown

nexKeysound
what are the most overtly experimental grime tunes of all time?
(not including Wiley's 'Eskimo (original)' and Dizzee's 'I Luv U').

i nominate...

Jammer 'Feedback'
Wonder ft Kano 'Lately'
Wiley 'Eskimo (devil mix)'

Tim F

Not sure if they'd all be considered "experimental" but the following are big mindfuck grooves for me:

Jammer/Wiley/Bigga Man - Pick & Mix
Bigga Man - Scuff Ya Pumas
Jammer - Vice Versa (instrumental 8-bar flipside to Kano's "Boys Luv Girls"); Mystic
Ruff Sqwad - Anna (but the entire Ruff Sqwad in-house style essentially)
Skepta - Private Caller 2; Nintendo; Panarama
Danny Weed - Rat Race
Wiley - Ice Rink, Icy Mountains
Imp Batch - Singalong
SLK - Hype Hype (Wonder Remix)
Low Deep - Ignorant Refix
DJ Oddz - Muffler (this one I'm not even sure I <i>like</i>)
JME - Scotland (who produced this one?)
P Jam - Can't Hold It In

Odd to think that I haven't listed any Target/Danny Weed, Davinche, Terra Danjah... but I guess I just consider those producers to be pure fire rather than weird (e.g. "Shank Riddim" would easily go on a top ten best grime riddims ever for me). Maybe Shola Ama's "With You" for Terra?

bassnation

the abyss
luka said:
no offence but i fucking hate all those north west mcs. they are so so so shit. ban them now.

i presume you are referring to the mcs on that virus syndicate lp. i'm no expert on grime but that slow down track is rocking and they sound pretty good to me.

are you allergic to northern accents or does it bug you that this music might spread further than london?

mpc

wasteman
is "big" will in younger nasty?

also, jammer wasn't me - hold tight my 7yg famble though.

Last edited:

mpc

wasteman
is big h gonna release his mixtape?

if it's full of UKHH like i think it'll be, tell him not to bother.

S

simon silverdollar

just a thought- does anyone else think that wiley's lyrics and flow recently have been very skepta-ish?

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
jammer: correct your own spelling, you are any internet fan, get your own identity and jump off the jock. You can be the Phallomorphic Man, aka Superman Dickhead.

nomos

Administrator
Yeah thanks for that Simon. This track is fantastic in its fucked-brightness. I love the way he changes up the tempo/time signature off and on. He's done that on another one that I just know from a January Roll Deep set. It also seems to get back a bit to the vibe of "Split in down the middle."

Oddly, you could have said it was AFX from about 1993 and I would have believed you.

hmmmmmmm

Blackdown said:
what are the most overtly experimental grime tunes of all time?

for me its either 'ice rink', 'freeze', 'blizzard' or my personal favourite 'DTI Rmx' by Terrah....

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Hey, anyone going to the Dirty Stank showcase on Sunday night at Ministry? I'm almost certainly going. Newham Generals, live, people! C'mon!

labrat

hot on the heels of love
luka said:
no offence but i fucking hate all those north west mcs. they are so so so shit. ban them now.
couldn't agree more the Northen voices timbre/different slang doesn't lend itself to spitting lyrics , Grime will ALWAYS be a marginal scene in the North 'cos of this .Its sad but true( but heartning to see is the HUGE popularity of the Power Electronics revival in the more urban areas.)

S

simon silverdollar

is luka talking about manchester MCs or NW London MCs tho?
cuz i know he hates purple and other NW London MCs...

i quite like virus syndicate as it happens...i like the way there's a definite jungle/rave-MC lineage there.

S

simon silverdollar

Diggedy Derek said:
Hey, anyone going to the Dirty Stank showcase on Sunday night at Ministry? I'm almost certainly going. Newham Generals, live, people! C'mon!

ooo that's tempting. never been to Ministry- is it as bad as people say?

Badmarsh

simon silverdollar said:
is luka talking about manchester MCs or NW London MCs tho?
cuz i know he hates purple and other NW London MCs...

i quite like virus syndicate as it happens...i like the way there's a definite jungle/rave-MC lineage there.

purple aint north west he's from acton