GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

mms

sometimes
gumdrops said:
this idea that only undergound bores dig in the crates is kinda wrong actually.

yes i know but when this is the sum total of what you do in 2006 then this is boring.

as i stated.

i dont expect everyone to use electronics just not do tracks based soley on looped samples.

Last edited:

Logos

Ghosts of my life
bun-u said:
Guns and Roses 2 will be officially launched by Ruff Sqwad at the next Dirty Canvas night on Saturday 9th Sept at (new venue) the ICA, where they will be performing along with The Movement, DJ Cameo and most probably Plastician

Proper...looking forward to seeing the sqwad in the flesh...

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Guns and Roses 2 will be officially launched by Ruff Sqwad at the next Dirty Canvas night on Saturday 9th Sept at (new venue) the ICA, where they will be performing along with The Movement, DJ Cameo and most probably Plastician

Nice one! PLease post details when it's confirmed.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
polz said:
Did you hear that Burial cd, what a pretentious, boring, middlebrow thing that is,
LOL. Fair enough.
polz said:
or that dubstep allstars thing with that horrid Space Ape (or should i say Maxi Jazz).
Nah, that's well out of order. Space Ape rocks. You seen him? He's amazing.
polz said:
No, grime still is where you should be.
Grime is good, yeah, but we don't need to set up an opposition between dubstep and grime...

petergunn

plywood violin
polz said:
Hipsters might say there are old tunes on it, well see if i care, they're still great, and the mix is fantastic. Buy it.

hipsters have no idea what year any grime tunes came out... replace that with "blogger internet geeks" and you're hitting the mark...

mms said:
british hip hop seems to be stuck in a mid 90's premier production style fixation quite often with a complete distain towards synthetic sounds.
there are exceptions like roots manuva of course but the cuture seems wholy based on sampling when everyone else has moved on to a greater extent.

I don't find much to compare premier with new flesh and part2/Tim Wright. That dude has been ahead of the UK hiphop game since 'stick n move' and even his solo stuff on novamute is pretty out there and fully synthetic.

check out 'kick the door in' with toastie taylor.
tim wright/myspace

SLAMMIN BEATS

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Part 2 makes tunes thati have heard recently that sound like he found a grime producer's powerbook and just used all the samples without really knowing how to put them together.

don't you mean a grime producers PS2 :p

I mean really, it's the worst thing about grime, all those cheap, nasty, harsh, distorted disrhythmic beats.

I hear kano, sway and dizzee have been working with the texas crunky hiphoppaz UGK, Banner and Chamillionaire.

That should raise the bar on production values at least.

I always find if I don't know how to put samples together the results come out a lot less formulaic. I love serendipity and synchronicity.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Wasn't Chamillionaire chatting a bunch of shit about Dizzee last year, after he did that Grit Boys tape? I swear I remember him saying that Dizzee wasn't a real rapper.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
voldemort said:
don't you mean a grime producers PS2 :p

I mean really, it's the worst thing about grime, all those cheap, nasty, harsh, distorted disrhythmic beats.

If you don't like the beats you really shouldn't actually bother listening to it.

The beats are what makes the music unique.

Nasty, harsh and distorted is Grime. Anything else is watered down shit made to please someone else.

And that can kindly fuck off along with anyone who prefers that to real Grime beats.

I tend not to listen. Can't see what all the fuss is about really. The accents are bit off putting too.

I do like the no compromise, take no prisoners, assault on the senses thing and keep it pure mentality, I think :confused:

but if you're wondering why it probably won't take off in the mainstream and generate sales? It is probably because
watered down shit made to please someone else.
is the staple diet of the overground.

so off I fuck.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Since when has generating sales in the mainstream been anything but the misguided goals of people looking to get rich quick?

Artists like that can piss off as well. They'll probably end up making Hip Hop anyway.

People who actually care what other people think about their music on anything other than an artistic level are lost anyway.

Cornflake

yeh talking about sales with a scene that doesnt have alot of backing financially kinda doesnt make sense.

All the stuff your complainning is what makes grime different. I got tired of hip hop, the same shit has been doin for the last 5 years and its tiring.

Actually i hope that dizzee doesnt get too far into the southern hip hop stuff cause i like him where he belongs. Hopefully the album is a return and not more like showtyme, but we'll see what happens. Funny that you complain about the accents cause i hardly even notice anymore till friends mention the accents. Most of them arent that thick other than a few, and whats the difference between that and a rapper talking some slang that you dont understand?

gumdrops

voldemort said:
I don't find much to compare premier with new flesh and part2/Tim Wright. That dude has been ahead of the UK hiphop game since 'stick n move' and even his solo stuff on novamute is pretty out there and fully synthetic.

check out 'kick the door in' with toastie taylor.
tim wright/myspace

SLAMMIN BEATS

part 2 is a great producer but im not sure what he does thats as amazing as a lot of people think. he mainly seems to borrow other styles/genres and just runs them through his own presets. plus his beats are a litle too finnicky and polite etc. very neat. which is what people like as they think it makes them arty (which is true) but new flesh will never be as good as people like to think, mainly cos the rappers just arent very good. part 2 could make some great albums if he had better mcs to work with.

benjybars

village elder.
anyone heard ruff sqwad's 'war' ?? slicks shouting 'war, what is it good for?' .. a bit weird.

i haven't had a radio for the last few weeks.. have roll deep and ruff sqwad been doing rinse? any good sets recently?? someone fill me in please

also, has anyone got plasctician's set with ruff sqwad from the other week?