GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

I get what he's saying things could get a bit too fiddly and decorative, newer software means things can feel a bit glossy, each element crisply defined..compared to alias, Eskimo stuff which at times feels like theres filthy hot air blowing around the beat but I think this is a different thing now

Grime can be pretty on the other hand, swindle, terror Danjah, joker, ruff sqwad all done things I could class as pretty

tom lea

i dunno, some of the more intricate/glossy stuff around at the moment - like murlo, for instance - sounds great. slackk doesn't play weak shit.

wise

bare BARE BONES
New one. So pleased with this EP

&g=bb">&g=bb" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%%"> ">

Looking forward to this, title track's a beauty.
Digital's so cheap on the Oil Gang site! picked up all the bits i'd missed.

Respect Simon :D

Simon78

Looking forward to this, title track's a beauty.
Digital's so cheap on the Oil Gang site! picked up all the bits i'd missed.

Respect Simon :D

Thanks! Its appreciated.

I have to match the price to the shops for the current releases or the distributor wouldn't be happy. You can get FLACs for the same price as 320s though so that makes it a bit better. As soon as they're a bit older I drop the price of the EP's to £1, seems fair to me.

http://oilgang.co.uk/ if anyone's interested.

wise

bare BARE BONES
yeah it's the FLAC thing that took it for me, pisses me off having to pay more to get a decent quality file.
Wish more labels did the Bandcamp thing, I don't want to give my money to Beatport/Juno/whoever I want to give it to the artists

benjybars

village elder.
yeah it's the FLAC thing that took it for me, pisses me off having to pay more to get a decent quality file.
Wish more labels did the Bandcamp thing, I don't want to give my money to Beatport/Juno/whoever I want to give it to the artists

feel exactly the same way

why don't all labels do this?

thc

thc
Here's an article on FACT about recent instrumental grime:
http://www.factmag.com/2013/08/08/unboxed-an-introduction-to-instrumental-grimes-new-wave/
Several good tunes on the second page of the article.

Murlo guest mix on Brackles' show. Aside from the few vocal tunes, I like it.

Slackk's August mix he posted on the previous page is good:

BLOOM's Maze Temple EP is pretty good too.

If anyone can point out some more instrumental mixes, I'd greatly appreciate it.

This Wednesday, btw-

1013581_10151621815717713_912645058_n.jpg

rubberdingyrapids

i was going to write all this on the factmag site but got tired of failing to log in

http://www.factmag.com/2013/08/22/s...cals-boy-in-da-corner-and-the-birth-of-grime/

this is well worth a read so props to everyone involved. i think dizzee just found being in the scene too stressful after BIDC so really just needed to get out of it. i remember one grime dvd around the time of showtime (forget which one) that came out where he was interviewed backstage and he was so obv not into all the beefs that were so commonplace, he just couldnt bear to be around it any longer.

the other thing i thought while reading this roundtable piece was that yeah, grime has a lot of nastiness about it (i never really liked all the beefs to be honest, partly for that reason, but also just cos i thought a lot of the lyrics were stupid and overly childish), and yes, there is sexism and homophobia (maybe being a long term hip hop fan has made me inured to it), but i dont know if i see the point in always feeling the need to bang on about that being in the music.

honestly, the sexism in grime isnt even that bad compared to american hip hop. yeah you could argue its worse cos its implicit and women arent even PRESENT either physically or as a lyrical concern, well they are now more than they used to be, but ive heard a lot worse.

anyway, while reading that discussion, i found myself thinking that while its fine to reiterate the idea of BIDC as a bleak broadcast from an east london estate, and a lot of critics like to talk about the adolescent vulnerability of brand new day and sittin here, etc etc, which is fine, the 'nasty' tracks on BIDC are equally, if not more powerful. 2 far, watch your mouf, cut em off, are really closer to what grime was all about for me, and just really raw, visceral, music. i know that kind of energy is more typical in terms of what we expect from teenage inner city music, but sometimes i think people seeking to give critical praise to BIDC focus too much on the emotional songs, almost as if praising it for its harsher side would make the album less worthy of discussion. but maybe thats what makes BIDC such a good album, that it does both so easily. so on one hand, im not comfortable with people thinking grime is only aggressive music, but on the other hand, thats such a major part of it, it seems almost at odds with its general sound/impetus to weigh so far in the opposite direction.

someone get in touch with his old school teacher and get those beats and then release them on a double vinyl bootleg please.

Magic

Boxed on wednesday was really good Slackk and Oil Gang seem to have an infinite amount of new instrumentals at the moment.

We've got Merky ACE's PYP launch on the 6th

eflyer-Frontline-front-11.jpg

eflyer-frontline-back.jpg

Benny Bunter

http://www.factmag.com/2013/08/22/s...cals-boy-in-da-corner-and-the-birth-of-grime/

this is well worth a read so props to everyone involved. i think dizzee just found being in the scene too stressful after BIDC so really just needed to get out of it. i remember one grime dvd around the time of showtime (forget which one) that came out where he was interviewed backstage and he was so obv not into all the beefs that were so commonplace, he just couldnt bear to be around it any longer.

the other thing i thought while reading this roundtable piece was that yeah, grime has a lot of nastiness about it (i never really liked all the beefs to be honest, partly for that reason, but also just cos i thought a lot of the lyrics were stupid and overly childish), and yes, there is sexism and homophobia (maybe being a long term hip hop fan has made me inured to it), but i dont know if i see the point in always feeling the need to bang on about that being in the music.

honestly, the sexism in grime isnt even that bad compared to american hip hop. yeah you could argue its worse cos its implicit and women arent even PRESENT either physically or as a lyrical concern, well they are now more than they used to be, but ive heard a lot worse.

anyway, while reading that discussion, i found myself thinking that while its fine to reiterate the idea of BIDC as a bleak broadcast from an east london estate, and a lot of critics like to talk about the adolescent vulnerability of brand new day and sittin here, etc etc, which is fine, the 'nasty' tracks on BIDC are equally, if not more powerful. 2 far, watch your mouf, cut em off, are really closer to what grime was all about for me, and just really raw, visceral, music. i know that kind of energy is more typical in terms of what we expect from teenage inner city music, but sometimes i think people seeking to give critical praise to BIDC focus too much on the emotional songs, almost as if praising it for its harsher side would make the album less worthy of discussion. but maybe thats what makes BIDC such a good album, that it does both so easily. so on one hand, im not comfortable with people thinking grime is only aggressive music, but on the other hand, thats such a major part of it, it seems almost at odds with its general sound/impetus to weigh so far in the opposite direction.

someone get in touch with his old school teacher and get those beats and then release them on a double vinyl bootleg please.

Dan Hancox' e-book is well worth a read. It's quite short and I suppose I was hoping for something really in-depth about the whole scene, not just Dizzee/BIDC but I doubt a book like that will ever be written. Still, good stuff and definitely worth the 2 quid. . Gives quite a lot of props to 'showtime' too which I keep meaning to go back to but always find a bit dense. And the conflict dvd gets discussed a lot.

Dizzee giving up production still seems like such a fucking waste. No one ever really topped beats like 'stop dat', 'wheel', 'vexed' 'i luv u' did they?. What talent!

btw RDR, i think you're more or less right about the focus on the emotional stuff in regards to Dizzee (this also tends to happen in regard to Ruff Sqwad too - who I've always liked but I think have been slightly overrated on here and by the FACT lot)...though he does talk about stuff like the sheer impact of 'stop dat' when it drops, and of the humour in the lyrics as well so fair play.

Last edited:

rubberdingyrapids

dunno if you ever saw the documentary that was on channel 4 around the time of maths n english but it had a lot of old dizzee beats playing through it. its a crime he released so little of them when he could have done. wiley should have made him put them out! i find it hard to believe its been 10 years since BIDC. its a shame he still seems hung up on it not being as successful as he wanted it to be.

Last edited: