GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

there were others after that

from this side of the ocean, just hearing about raves with D Double, Bruza, Footsie, Skepta, Sadie, Gemma Fox, MC Bratz, Tempa T sounds vaguely unreal still. When was the last time a grime MC made it to North America? Last summer w/ Roll Deep and Kano?

I'm sure but

give them time, give ppl and the scene time - it's not an excuse, it's just reality. a lot of the ppl doing this and entering this have no music industry experience at all PLUS are gassed up on some mad dreams, false expectations and just basic unreality - I ain't even that bothered - things are gonna be just fine as long as ppl learn from their mistakes and think ahead...which they will

its funny

grime is 5 years old, they've had enough time. i still like it, but i kind of agree that it's at the bottom of the curve thats at the end after the peak.

i know hiphop has been around for 30 years, but that's the states. no music scene in britain has ever been relevant for more than five years, and i don't think grime will break this pattern, for there are only so much people who think it was ever relevant in the first place

that ppl are so willing to actually dismiss other ppl like their nothing

ppl speak of Grime as if there are regular meetings between ppl. fact is its a fractured postmodern scene where things happen a lot faster than in genres that influenced it so things work differently therefore while at times it takes on Hip Hop elements ITS NOT HIP HOP so your comparion is null and void - there are a lot of things that I'm starting to realise day after day

what really matters is if the ppl doing the music think its relevant, fun and exciting to them really and whether newcomers share that - webpages, forums, opinions (mine included) and the like don't really figure in that equation

i.e relevance = bulls*** to me - the hunt and thirst for consistent relevance (which was some mad ideal not realising that IT is relevant ALL THE TIME) is what has choked things really for the past two years

moving on - just heard the Dirty Stank remix of 'Too Late' by Mr. Hudson ft. Lethal B, Footsie and D Double - Double verse is just classic...I don't think any of his bars will ever age

why mention it otherwise?

please read befor you react. i never compared grime to hiphop. i said it is a british scene and as such has had it's time under the sun, whether you like it or not.

you say more time is needed, but you look like somebody who still believes that great things are still in the future for dnb. i do listen to grime still, and i like it, as i said many times. i just don't hear any exciting new things. just more of the same, which can be fun, but sometimes you suddenly think, i've heard this exact thing too many times already.

you did inadvertenly compare it by mentioning it - nothing big. if by time under the sun you mean press flare up and that then...I'm actually glad - perhaps things will develop well now

I don't listen to dnb except some radio bits every now and then but I still know the artists sell units, do shows, run labels, tour, sell merchandise, collaborate, make albums, sell vinyl and generally do a lot- doesn't sound too bad to me lol?

maybe you don't but as I said the key to the scene's continued life is EXPANSION further then the set of fans it has now (ppl like you and myself) and away from future putrid life in London, its roots will forever be here but it's vital it does it otherwise it'll keep hearing things like 'i've heard this before' which only stunts things however 'true' ppl may think it is

gumdrops

moving on - just heard the Dirty Stank remix of 'Too Late' by Mr. Hudson ft. Lethal B, Footsie and D Double - Double verse is just classic...I don't think any of his bars will ever age

this is part of the problem - his bars ARE ageing! i want to hear some new ones! he must have some so maybe hes saving them all for the album but its time to retire the old ones now IMO

Last edited:

john eden

male pale and stale
All I can say is that, as someone who has got here really really late, it all seems really exciting and vibrant.

That may say more about me than the music (especially to those who have been into it for years), but I'm still looking forward to payday next week and ordering some more mix cds and stuff.

this is part of the problem - his bars ARE ageing! i want to hear some new ones! he must have some so maybe hes saving them all for the album but its time to retire the old ones now IMO

to you they may be old but how long have you been listening to Double? don't you realise there's a whole bunch of people that have no idea who he is? this is why the scene needs to expand otherwise ppl will waste it

All I can say is that, as someone who has got here really really late, it all seems really exciting and vibrant.

That may say more about me than the music (especially to those who have been into it for years), but I'm still looking forward to payday next week and ordering some more mix cds and stuff.

now this is what I'm saying - expansion

gumdrops

if its good and does well it would get a lot of new people into grime and prob give the scene a bit of a boost which could be just what it needs.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Can't compare the two...

grime is 5 years old, they've had enough time. i still like it, but i kind of agree that it's at the bottom of the curve thats at the end after the peak.

i know hiphop has been around for 30 years, but that's the states. no music scene in britain has ever been relevant for more than five years, and i don't think grime will break this pattern, for there are only so much people who think it was ever relevant in the first place

Bad argument. Grime is a purely British music form so the only way to compare to Hip Hop is in it's origins in the inner city during a time of turmoil and that it's an urban youth culture. After that, Hip Hop and Grime have little in common besides the fact that Hip Hop sort of influences it.

Oh yeah...The first element of hip hop started in 1968/69 and by 1972 all four elements (Grafitti, B-Boying, DJ'ing and Emceeing) were all in existence. This makes Hip Hop 35 years old as of this year....not 30. One.

gumdrops

ok, but if grime is a purely british form than polz is right to compare it to the things that preceded it like jungle and garage and hes mostly right that they only really stick around for about 5-6 (or so) years as 'popular' genres before just levelling out as underground/revivalist niche movements. well see what happens to grime though. it might take some new unusual path, who knows.

all the posts in his thread about ukrecordshop seem to have cursed my order - it still hasnt arrived. which is unusual for them as theyre normally really quick. and now the site is down as well... *grits teeth*

Last edited:

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Not really....

as people seem to have a hard time understanding what i mean, i'll try to make myself more clear. what i meant was that music scenes in the states seem to be able to exist for decades and still rejuvenate themselves. i could as well have chosen rock as an example of longevity in stead of hiphop, that was the only reason i mentioned hiphop. scenes in the uk seem to whither away after 5 years: postpunk, beat, jungle/dnb and i'm afraid grime as well.

as for hiphop being 35 years old, i heard roots of it in a louis armstrong recording from the twenties, so when it makes you happy, you can tell people hiphop is eighty years old, as far as i'm concerned. whether that helps to make things clear is a different story i think. Twelve.

If remember correctly, Louis Armstrong was neither a DJ, a B Boy, nor did he ever write grafitti so you are wrong as all hell in your "hip hop is 80 years old" statement. Hip Hop is a vast culture whereas Rap is one facet of it...if you meant Rap is 80 years old you'd be wrong, too. According to the creator of the Universal Zulu Nation, the prophets of the Bible and Koran were rapping, elements of rap were in existence WAY before Hip Hop was established so your little joke got shot to shit.

Don't test me in matters of Hip Hop or the culture, ever. Ask around, you don't want it. One.

Immryr

the dumpvalve allstars album sounds disappointing from the clips.

logan are you planning to repress the skepta ep???

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Oh God! *rolls eyes*

hiphop may be your field, a sense of humour certainly isnt (but then again, the last sentence, the one with "don't test me, EVER", is pretty funny). seven

First off, I knew you were "joking"...This shit wasn't funny. I take hip hop seriously (we tend to do that). "One" has a real meaning behind it, one you wouldn't mock if you knew anything or had half a brain. Good luck with trying to be "funny". One.

viktorvaughn

the dumpvalve allstars album sounds disappointing from the clips.

logan are you planning to repress the skepta ep???

Really? Thats a shame...was well looking fwd to the hearing the tunes from the tracklist. We'll see i guess!! Ive been loving some of the recent release from the DV camp.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
If remember correctly, Louis Armstrong was neither a DJ, a B Boy, nor did he ever write grafitti so you are wrong as all hell in your "hip hop is 80 years old" statement. Hip Hop is a vast culture whereas Rap is one facet of it...if you meant Rap is 80 years old you'd be wrong, too. According to the creator of the Universal Zulu Nation, the prophets of the Bible and Koran were rapping, elements of rap were in existence WAY before Hip Hop was established so your little joke got shot to shit.

Don't test me in matters of Hip Hop or the culture, ever. Ask around, you don't want it. One.

Shamed.

nomos

Administrator
Hey, I scored almost 100% in the Hip Hop history quiz in the old school retrospective issue of The Source back in 1992 ;) - the one where Bam said that people get too obsessed with what Hip Hop 'really is.' It was around that time that the whole 'four elements' thing came about. People didn't really say that before the old school revival that kicked in about that time. (Remember how suddenly there was a market for Gazelles again?. ) In fact, a lot of early graf artists considered themselves very separate from Hip Hop and didn't want their scene to be colonized by it. I find Hip Hop revisionism really irritating because it narrows the whole thing down to this neat and tidy canonical package and discards all the heterogenous elements that were there from the start but weeded out of the narrative over time.

shudder

Didn't Jeff Chang say something of the sort in the intro to Can't Stop Won't Stop? (which I haven't picked up yet but glanced at in a store)