GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

oh here we go

Hey, I scored almost 100% in the Hip Hop history quiz in the old school retrospective issue of The Source back in 1992 ;) - the one where Bam said that people get too obsessed with what Hip Hop 'really is.' It was around that time that the whole 'four elements' thing came about. People didn't really say that before the old school revival that kicked in about that time. (Remember how suddenly there was a market for Gazelles again?. ) In fact, a lot of early graf artists considered themselves very separate from Hip Hop and didn't want their scene to be colonized by it. I find Hip Hop revisionism really irritating because it narrows the whole thing down to this neat and tidy canonical package and discards all the heterogenous elements that were there from the start but weeded out of the narrative over time.

maaan

point taken...but still PD could probably still...'have' you so to speak or anybody on this board so lets just leave it at that - this is a Grime thread after all...

did I mention that Syer is back in OT...obviously out of Roll Deep? I can't remember

has Tinchy got a deal or something?

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I'm glad that Syer is finally out of Roll Deep. He did a grand total of nothing during his stay there anyway.

I've got to say, I am pretty impressed with Rules and Regulations. I only wish it came out two years earlier. This is exactly what they were capable of before, but didn't shoot for.

Immryr

Really? Thats a shame...was well looking fwd to the hearing the tunes from the tracklist. We'll see i guess!! Ive been loving some of the recent release from the DV camp.

yeah ive loved everything dumpvalve has been releasing too, but i was distinctly unimpressed when i listened to the little clips on ukrecordshop.com

gumdrops

i quite liked the samples actually. theyve been on the dubplates section of duplate.net for a while now. that wiley taplin beat sounds like something scratchy would do.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
The Skepta & JME EP is getting a full release within the next week or 2

Ruff Sqwad - From A Place TPs are floating around now

Last edited:
well he'll have to buy me dinner first

LMAO

that wiley taplin beat sounds like something scratchy would do.

I love that track but the Terror Danjah remix murks the original

I can't be bothered to type everything again but is it me or is Roll Deep deaded out with Wiley leaving, JME and Skepta blowing BBK off from joining, Wonder leaving (I know it was long ago but he so dangerous now), Dizzee transforming into the superstar of the scene, Trim (the top guy imo) ducking out...

I mean what makes RD different from N.A.S.T.Y (in terms of just being a breeding ground and jumpoff)?

Immryr

yeah taplin is really good, but most of the stuff on there sounds very average. definitely not what i would expect from dumpvalve, or the producers on there.

@Logan: excellent

-edit- i just listened to them again. i think maybe i was a little harsh on first listen. i like the wiley / geeneus / tubby / dok tunes alot. the scratchy / plasticman / danny weed ones are ok if a little uninspiring. i dont really like the true tiger tune, but i havent really liked anything theyve ever done.

Last edited:

gumdrops

yeah i think the dumpvalve thing sounds pretty great. im gonna wait til the proper release comes out to get it though. finally got my showerman 12" today - best grime vocal track ive heard in ages. its recorded properly - ie not overly clean and the vocal take is a bit rough but in a good way. it sounds like a good *record* whereas a lot of vocal tracks still dont sound like good 'records' IMO (often cos it sounds like the vocal is too loud or has just been grafted/pro tooled onto the instrumental). this is right up there with ruff sqwads underground and xtra and tracks like that.... it also has a proper dirtee stank label on the 12" which is encouraging for their album coming out...

Last edited:

john eden

male pale and stale
recommend me some mixtapes, then

Payday tomorrow for this Grime newbie...

last month I got

• Guns and Roses 2
  • Rules and Regulations
  • Aim High 1&2
  • and the boy better know xmas freebie

all of which I have been caning ever since...

This month I am considering getting

• Slix - Down
  • Guns and Roses 1
  • Best of the Newham Generals

Unless any of you lot know better?

viktorvaughn

Those 3 sound like excellent choices John.

I would recommend a Jammer project but i think Nekkle Camps one is a bit better than Jammer's solo effort as he isn't a good enough MC to carry the whole mixtape. Others worth considering i would say are

Mercston - Da end of da Beginning. Very upbeat, funny and kinda light-hearted.

Devlin - Tales from the Crypt. Sick MC, especially for his age. Can get a little samey and does he do any happy tunes??!

get '2nd Phaze' by Willy the Kid

I've been thinking about getting S.K.I.T.Z Beatz 'In The Zone' aswell

without listening to 'Are You Dumb' I would get Nekkle Camp's one (mad judgemental but *shrugs*)

Last edited:

gumdrops

i like jammers version of rick ross' hustlin with footsie. the neckle camp also has that joyride track which is worth getting. i would also (and i might be alone here) recommend the kronik mix cd although as with all these things, he raps over a few too many hip hop beats.

is it me or have Slew Dem

kept proper grime/nukg (as a musical form) very much alive over the past year or so?

it's like they just came out of nowhere and now have all this product on shelves and in the pipeline

I don't really like them as its TOO MUCH violence and beef and I know its not lies...they are ON this ting for real...

but I find their fury is frightening...and sadly misdirected...go to Tempa T's myspace and watch the Risky Roadz freestyle - nuts stuff

but their really business like and organised meaning like it or not their here to stay

you can't deny their hustle though - anyone?

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
kept proper grime/nukg (as a musical form) very much alive over the past year or so?

it's like they just came out of nowhere and now have all this product on shelves and in the pipeline

I don't really like them as its TOO MUCH violence and beef and I know its not lies...they are ON this ting for real...

but I find their fury is frightening...and sadly misdirected...go to Tempa T's myspace and watch the Risky Roadz freestyle - nuts stuff

but their really business like and organised meaning like it or not their here to stay

you can't deny their hustle though - anyone?

I really like Slew Dem, they've really got it together, the difference in two years is just amazing. I like th efact that they're not the best MCs by a long shot, but their energy is just like listening to black metal or something. And yes, scary mofos n all.

N

nomadologist

i like jammers version of rick ross' hustlin with footsie. the neckle camp also has that joyride track which is worth getting. i would also (and i might be alone here) recommend the kronik mix cd although as with all these things, he raps over a few too many hip hop beats.

i'm surprised you can get through "hustlin" without having a heart attack, gumpdrops. your ears don't melt listening to rick ross talk about being a "hustler" and moving yay for Noriega (not a joke that's goofing on boasts at all, when he says that)? i've got the defibrillator out just in case...