GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
brokenmic5pz.jpg

This for me is the ultimate grime image, the mic has broken so they're MCing into the headphones, it reminds me of the Martha Cooper pictures of the early B-Boys. I don't know who took it - it was up on Prancehall's blog ages back, did you take it Prancehall, if you're around? It's genius.

That happened on my set once

petergunn

plywood violin
I think we should just get rid of mics altogether and do that all the time, it looks great.

and makes even black dudes sound like the beastie boys on "so watcha want"...

anyone have "Ganjaman & Pitchblakk -'' ATha Official EP ''"?

i am thinking of buying it just b/c i love the Lil Jon chanting samples from the firs track, but the rest of it just sounds kinda "eh"...

i am gonna cop the Sick Sense Cru EP, tho, neat grime usage of the Houston style sizzurp slow voiced choruses (tho i am curious if these guys got the idea from Mike Jones or Dipset?)

john eden

male pale and stale
Thanks for your help on the recommendations folks, most appreciated. I'll stick to my guns and then go for some of the things people have suggested next month. :cool:

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
i am gonna cop the Sick Sense Cru EP, tho, neat grime usage of the Houston style sizzurp slow voiced choruses (tho i am curious if these guys got the idea from Mike Jones or Dipset?)

Prob a bit of both, that Still Sippin track was huge over here too, and out of London the Screw stuff was massive...Dipset seem to be ubiquitous, I've even got a coupla Purple City mixtapes and I don't even like em. It's like Dipset break into your house at night and leave their mixtapes...'Wet Wipes' is a killer beat though.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
I wondered if the urban music community would respond...

Cat Park <cat@vitv.co.uk>
Sent : 15 February 2007 17:34:52
Subject : HELP???

THIS IS TO EVERYONE!

GUN CULTURE, GANGS AND VIOLENCE ARE A HUGE PROBLEM WITHIN THE UK AND MUSIC IS CONSTANTLY BEING ASSOCIATED WITH IT.

IN LIGHT OF THE FACT THAT THERE HAVE SEEN 3 TEENAGERS KILLED IN THE LAST 2 WEEKS WE ARE URGING YOU ALL TO HELP.

MANY OF YOU ARE ARTISTS ON CHANNEL U AND CARRY A CELEBRITY STATUS AMONG THE KIDS AND TEENAGERS - YOU ARE THEREFORE IN A POWERFUL POSITION TO REACH OUT.

WE ARE ASKING YOU TO SEND US YOUR VIEWS AND POSITIVE COMMENTS WHICH WE CAN POST ON OUR WEBSITE TO BRING SOME POSITIVITY FROM ALL THE NEGATIVITY THAT OUR YOUTH ARE BEING EXPOSED TO. YOU CAN EVEN DROP US SOME POSITIVE 'MYSPACE COMMENTS'

www.channelu.tv

www.myspace.com/channelutv

cat@vitv.co.uk

NO MATTER HOW BIG OR SMALL, YOUR CONTRIBUTION WILL BE GRATEFULLY RECEIVED AND MORE IMPORTANTLY, IT COULD MAKE A DIFFERENCE!

THANK YOU

:)

Kindest Regards

Cat Park
Channel U (Sky Digital 360)

WWW.CHANNELU.TV

www.myspace.com/channelutv

Email: Info@Vitv.Co.Uk

This email and any attachments are confidential and may be the subject of legal privilege. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of the firm. Any use, copying or disclosure other than by the intended recipient is unauthorised. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone on +44 (0) 20 7054 9022 and delete this message and any copies from your computer and network.

Video Interactive Television PLC, PO BOX 50239, EC1V 3YF

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Dear Channel U,

Examples are to be set, not posted as comments. I suggest you look at the way you run your organisation first before asking people to be positive on your channel. Just possibly if artists and young people started making money off their work rather than being ripped off by unscrupulous companies, the level of crime would go down.

Yours, the undersigned...

N

nomadologist

Ha. They want money to help fight gang violence? Do they have tax-exempt status, too?

The idea that a few positive comments, or giving money to people who promote positive attitudes, are going to stop a problem that happens on the deepest levels of culture, economics and political policy is completely misguided.

P.S. Just looked at that myspace page. It's terrible that 3 teens died, but how is this music's fault? Probably dozens of teens died in NYC last week in similar circumstances. But it's not hip-hop's fault that they're dead. That's ridic

Last edited:

gumdrops

you cant blame the music alone, thats just wrong, and black music often gets blamed too much for what kids do. theyre actually discussing it on the news right now, and the main point people are bringing up is that the kids embrace, are attracted to and fantasise about the gangsta lifestyle, see guns as a cool fashion accessory, and basically think representing that role that they see in videos is the way forward.

i dont necessarily think its that simple - theres a ton of societal factors involved and a lot of kids are scared of being picked on and think guns are the best way to protect themselves. but obv it doesnt work like that cos it just creates a vicious cycle. it doesnt help either that guns are so easily available or that the parents arent guiding the kids properly but i dont think the music is helping.

Last edited:

shudder

yeah, obviously it's stupid and short-sighted to think of that sort of violence as a result of gangsta music rather than seeing that music as an expression of what's going on. But I agree there's probably some feedback loop too whereby the glamorization of what's already going on keeps what's going on, well, going on. I wonder how this sort of thing could be assessed? How could we figure out to what extent the glamourization of the gangster lifestyle actually influences kids?

N

nomadologist

i wrote research paper after research paper about violent media and real life violence as a firstyear grad student. in all of my research, i found very few studies that were able to eek out any sort of correlation between consuming violent media and real life crime rates, statistics, etc., let alone prove and correlation. in America, cultural watchdog groups have been trying to pin the blame on media for decades, and no one has ever been able to do it scientifically. the only studies that show some sort of causal relationship are usually dubious and funded by the watchdog groups themselves

there *have* been tons of studies of the feedback loops, but none that stuck. the real indicators, as always, that violence will happen are economic or have to do with family dynamics or childhood experiences

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I've listened to music about guns for a long time, and I've never wanted to pick up a gun. That is, of course, because I grew up in a safe environment though.

However, if some next man in the neighbourhood had a gun, and I'd heard that he wasn't really too hung up about using it, I'd probably want a gun too.

I'm not sure how much hip hop and grime factors into that as much as it comes out of it.

But surely this has been done to death already.

N

nomadologist

yeah, obviously it's stupid and short-sighted to think of that sort of violence as a result of gangsta music rather than seeing that music as an expression of what's going on. But I agree there's probably some feedback loop too whereby the glamorization of what's already going on keeps what's going on, well, going on. I wonder how this sort of thing could be assessed? How could we figure out to what extent the glamourization of the gangster lifestyle actually influences kids?

the ganster cliche's been around in american media since forever--in westerns, the godfather films, etc. the drastic spike in violent crime wasn't preceded by more violent media, it usually looks (on the side of numbers) like it happened vice versa

gumdrops

yeah i think theres not much more we can say about the influence of films or music on its consumers at this stage. i dont think theres anything wrong with discussing it though. i think artists should have the freedom to be able to create without having to constantly worry about whether its 'positive' or 'negative' etc

N

nomadologist

discussing them is good. if you really want to change anything, it's good to get involved in local politics and vote for the right candidates. give to charity. tackle the institutional problems that keep certain groups impoverished, promote education, and that's about all you can do to really effect change.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
And on that note:

Has anyone heard anything off Dizzee's new album other than Straight Back, Stern Face (is that what it's called?) and G.H.E.T.T.O.?

Because both of those tracks are pants, and I'm bracing myself for (yet another) bad grime album that could've been really good.

Call me stupid, but I was expecting something good this time. What with the Newham Generals being "signed" to Dirtee Stank ( however generally something needs to be put out to be signed, although I supposed that Footsie 12" is out now), and Dizzee taking a fucking extended vacation to make some tracks. I thought perhaps we'd see some Footsie and Tubby production, maybe some appearances from the Newham Gens, some newer Wonder production, and maybe even I'd get to hear what Klass A actually fucking sound like!

But if the result of all those things is Straight Back Stern Face, and G.H.E.T.T.O. I am more than a little bit worried.

Please please please please please let the Generals album be good. Please.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I thought I'd also mention that Wonder's album, Welcome To Wonderland, is absolutely shower and I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet.

gumdrops

its cos the wonder album isnt that shower, except for 1 or 2 songs. the instrumentals are boring too.

all i know about the dizzee album is that it features joss stone, lilly allen, is meant to have some footsie and geeneus beats and will prob feature newham gens and klass a somewhere. ive heard klass a's stuff so it does exist. theyre not bad. and the footsie 12" IS indeed shower lol. i think the newham gens album *could* actually be good.