GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

atoga

Can anyone ID a grime/r&b tune with a chorus that goes "Run to the room" or "rule" or something like that?

It's at the 1h05 mark of this very excellent Scratcha RinseFM show, during a Starkey mix, so it's no doubt something Starkey-related, be it his track or a remix or on his label or whatever.

http://relay.exequo.org/rinsefm/podcast/Scratcha201010.mp3

It's a very, very cool tune. Really nice bass "whomp" imo.

Thanks!
Matthew

starkey (featuring some mc whose name i can't remember) - run to the roof

Fundamental

Trying to turn such a niche and pure genre into a self-sustaining, cottage industry is futile for a few reasons. We all know where record sales are going, the clientèle is young and extremely pirate/tech savvy, and when you water the music itself down to broaden it's appeal it loses it's essence as a unique, visceral and uncompromising genre (see: Tinchy Dizzee Disco, etc).

I just feel like the new model has to be build the scene, treat tracks themselves like the free mixtapes/radio shows that get such huge heat online. Make sure every punter only ever has full quality, full length mp3s on their ipods and in their cars and let the music do the promotion. Monetise the goods and services around it. 5% of all tunes ever seem to see the light of day anyway. Swap the tunes for a mailing list sign up or a Facebook like or some data collection. Give into record sales as a realistic source of monetary income and look to revenue sources such as club-night promotion, t-shirt and fashion sales, bookings or anything else that is tangible and surrounds the music? The capitalist, materialistic, 'I'm the CEO' mentality of hip-hop/grime even lends itself so well to corporate sponsorship (see: Vice hook-ups or Naomi Klein/No Logo concepts) although I'm not much a fan of that side of things.

I'm sure someone like Rusko would consider his vinyl sales pocket money compared to the three a night weekend DJ bookings he can command at probably well over a grand a pop. P2P had a great part to play in building his name, as all the others in that scene. Grime lends itself even better to the club P.A side of things, grime is about the artist as a medium after all.

Yet I respect Elijah, coz what he does is fantastic and he has every right to ban people from his community in reality, I support it.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
Trying to turn such a niche and pure genre into a self-sustaining, cottage industry is futile for a few reasons. We all know where record sales are going, the clientèle is young and extremely pirate/tech savvy, and when you water the music itself down to broaden it's appeal it loses it's essence as a unique, visceral and uncompromising genre (see: Tinchy Dizzee Disco, etc).

I just feel like the new model has to be build the scene, treat tracks themselves like the free mixtapes/radio shows that get such huge heat online. Make sure every punter only ever has full quality, full length mp3s on their ipods and in their cars and let the music do the promotion. Monetise the goods and services around it. 5% of all tunes ever seem to see the light of day anyway. Swap the tunes for a mailing list sign up or a Facebook like or some data collection. Give into record sales as a realistic source of monetary income and look to revenue sources such as club-night promotion, t-shirt and fashion sales, bookings or anything else that is tangible and surrounds the music? The capitalist, materialistic, 'I'm the CEO' mentality of hip-hop/grime even lends itself so well to corporate sponsorship (see: Vice hook-ups or Naomi Klein/No Logo concepts) although I'm not much a fan of that side of things.

I'm sure someone like Rusko would consider his vinyl sales pocket money compared to the three a night weekend DJ bookings he can command at probably well over a grand a pop. P2P had a great part to play in building his name, as all the others in that scene. Grime lends itself even better to the club P.A side of things, grime is about the artist as a medium after all.

Yet I respect Elijah, coz what he does is fantastic and he has every right to ban people from his community in reality, I support it.

grime club nights hmm.....

Elijah

Butterz
2w585jd.jpg

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
anyone know what the beat is on this video?

This one, right, proves Dee as the singular MC to watch, it's pure badness what he fires on his second verse. I always suspected Little Dee of properly having the funk, and he righteously does it on that one, it's wicked.