GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

john eden

male pale and stale
Haven't done anything with a Jamaican influence yet, would def like to get some patois on Grime again. Ive been sending beats to a few people in Jamaica for a few weeks now so don't rule it out next year.

Terror Danjah done a remix for Greensleeves recently, and Royal T just done a mix of that showa eski tune on prodigal entertainment as well

Wicked. That all sounds great, nice one!

outraygeous

I wont lie, a small part of me died at Rinse/FWD when the kids (I have to call them that as they pretty much all were) didnt know/react to the grime tracks.

All interested in mid range wobblers

I had a good time BUT, there was too many people in room one and there was loads of kids in hoodies with hair covering the sides of their faces.

I dont know, the last half of the year has made me think about music alot and how out of touch I am with it

benw

I wont lie, a small part of me died at Rinse/FWD when the kids (I have to call them that as they pretty much all were) didnt know/react to the grime tracks.

All interested in mid range wobblers

I had a good time BUT, there was too many people in room one and there was loads of kids in hoodies with hair covering the sides of their faces.

I dont know, the last half of the year has made me think about music alot and how out of touch I am with it

aye gotta agree with you on this one - during roll deeps set you could really sense older people pushing forward and the younguns moving back, same for heartless crew.

gumdrops

allow grime mcs vocalling it, and producers making it. if im thinking of buying grime vinyl and i find out half of it is dubstep, it puts me off. made an exception with woo riddim (the remix i mean) but for the most part, thats not what i want. i understand why, but it just seems really cynical. grime of course doesnt get the same response as dubstep at a night like rinse/fwd cos theyre best known for dubstep really arent they? most ppl there are going to be there for dubstep. sad but true. i do find it a bit tragic that dubstep is the 'new uk sound' most people outside the underground and around the world think of and dont seem to care about grime. fucking travesty.

all that said...

same here.

Elijah

Butterz
allow grime mcs vocalling it, and producers making it. if im thinking of buying grime vinyl and i find out half of it is dubstep, it puts me off. made an exception with woo riddim (the remix i mean) but for the most part, thats not what i want. i understand why, but it just seems really cynical. grime of course doesnt get the same response as dubstep at a night like rinse/fwd cos theyre best known for dubstep really arent they? most ppl there are going to be there for dubstep. sad but true. i do find it a bit tragic that dubstep is the 'new uk sound' most people outside the underground and around the world think of and dont seem to care about grime. fucking travesty.
Yea even still what other time are you going to hear Grime at Fabric or any big club even in this day and age. It is a rare occurrence seeing a Grime DJ play without an MC in a club, and has always been the case so what you expect

outraygeous

today my moms gave me a lift home and on the radio was on Radio 1.

At 8:30 this evening they were playing a live recording of chase and status with tempz.

I sat there thinking, this is essentially more aggressive and over powering than grime and the whole grime scene was completely overlooked.

Why?

Im glad im not the only one confused with music at the moment. I cant put my finger on it. Maybe I should just fucking accept im getting old but it cant be that yet.

All these blog superstar djs and one note LFO tracks. No proper rewinds in clubs. The lack of real radio these days. There is like a whooooole group of people who need new music and because they dont read fact magasine or blogs are turning to the shit on commercial radio.

If i was djing at Rinse/Fwd and I wanted to smash the place to pieces. I would of played Katy B, Magnetic man, Tempz - Next Hype, JME, Skepta and probably Tine Tempa.

Popstep

Im ranting, I need to probably actually speak to real people about whats really going on in music in London.

And forgive me for going off topic on the grime subject but to bring it back, POW 2011 is ANY TUNE i swear its the WEAKEST over hyped tune of 2011 and if no one gets hype to the 'W A ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH' from pull up dat then I dont know

gumdrops

And forgive me for going off topic on the grime subject but to bring it back, POW 2011 is ANY TUNE i swear its the WEAKEST over hyped tune of 2011 and if no one gets hype to the 'W A ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH' from pull up dat then I dont know

BUTTTTT

jmes verse is hype.

i dont even mind kanos or chip 'in a highly irritating league of my own' munk's verse anymore.

maybe this is just me showing my (old) bias, but listening to logans last show, both 2011 revisits (pow and pull up dat) were the standouts for me. people used to say anyone could make what he was making back then, but id like more beats from dexplicit. but then the grime i like best is still the stuff that *doesnt* sound derivative of a) 8 bit video game music b) dubstep c) joker style funk d) a mix of all three at once. ie stuff like spooky's spartan. all it is i think is that grime can draw from anything, and probably should do, but it just has to have that certain energy/hard attitude to it.

still, was listening to an old vectra set with trim and obsese recently - not their best set as mcs, trim just repeats the same few short verses over and over, dunno what happened to his old flow - but there were a lot of great instrumentals on there. the newham gens and jme set with logan from a few months back is also ridiculous.

Last edited:

CrowleyHead

As far as Pow 2011. Everyone was good to great...

UNTIL YOU GET TO KANO.

Seriously. Someone should put Kano down with elephant tranquilizers or something. He single-handedly manage to take a record that had a tasteful balance... and just aimlessly mumble and scoff around like a drunken comedian.

outraygeous

I just ask you to listen to Forward 2, even Fury holds it up on that track

Pow 2011 will be big and the problem I have is I know it could of been MUCH better. There is a whole new audience coming to grime and it could of been a serious problem.

JMEs bar, yep is good. Wileys is just a flirta wana be.

Lets not talk about Kano and Chipmunk. Kano done fell off A LONG time ago. In fact, was he ever good?

CrowleyHead

Doing the Flirta style is a good look though! All these grime guys have been flexing their lyrical strength and acting like rappers a bit too much, and Wiley goes for a 'sound & gimmick' style. It's refreshing. And Chipmunk... I'm USED to him making awful verses and thinking he's amazing, so it's like "Eh, no big deal, he's supposed to be boring."

But seriously, didn't Kano get dropped or something? Quit putting him on tracks... God...