GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

petergunn

plywood violin
The guy dissed him on a tune, stuff went down, he got shot. In this case, the music was related to directly the outcome.

The ideas involved with this have moved way beyond boring 80s ideas of whether music influences behaviour. What happens now is that people are talking directly about their problems with other people over music, and this in some cases leads to agression, it's just a fact, deal with it.

oh, i've dealt w/ it...

this shit has happened in america for a LONG time... "you fat motherfucker, i fucked your wife", etc etc etc... beef beef beef...

the point is, whether you realize it or not, the music stuff is just a footnote to this murder. it could have been a basketball game, or a girl, or a pair of fucking shoes... the issue was "respect" and that issue has been played out in the streets long before grime ever existed...

i am sure there alot of murders in england every month involving young people with the same socio-economic background as Titch... and if you looked at the reasons why things went down, they would be just as mindless as this... the only difference is, Titch has made some records... no one says "playing pick up basketball causes violence"... if you guys want to confuse the issue, that's yr deal...

the issue was "respect" and that issue has been played out in the streets long before grime ever existed...

Respect as a cultural value within grime that many feel needs to be defended to the death makes grime a culture i would not value. The music as art which represents that culture and reinforces those values is not something i would promote.

For all this I can see titch becoming a next level MC. Real hard bars from the inside causing a massive groundswell of underground support.

Fiddy

Respect as a cultural value within grime that many feel needs to be defended to the death makes grime a culture i would not value. The music as art which represents that culture and reinforces those values is not something i would promote.

For all this I can see titch becoming a next level MC. Real hard bars from the inside causing a massive groundswell of underground support.

I don't think it's fair to say that culturally grime adheres to the ideology that respect should be defended to the death. The nature of gun crime today, which ultimately is what we're talking about, is not like that of organised crime. It's not even about respect half the time. More time you're looking at a mindset no longer sensitive to violence however bloody. It's spur of the moment action with little or no thought and often conducted either through fear or hype.

As for Titch becoming a next level MC, I don't see that either. He hadn't done much while on remand and look at Shyne, it did nothing for him. If he does come round to it, regardless of whether he fired the fatal shot or not, I think people will be wary of supporting him to the extent they would have had he robbed a bank.

If Holmes had been an MC and Titch the unknown producer it would be interesting to see how different reactions would be.

"many feel needs to be defended to the death"

'many'? evidence?
Ok so maybe it's presumptuous of me to lump grime in with gangsta rap and the continual gangbanging beef that feeds hiphop worldwide. I don't really make the distinction of grime being anything other than UK hiphop though. So with that in mind yes many crews do feel the need to protect their rep and cred by violence sometimes fatal. Or are all those lyrics about gun culture and slaying your opposition just posturing and lipservice ? Maybe it's a general youth thing but i just don't hear much of youth violence in anything other than hiphop and grime. Is that because the media don't highlight it ?

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Ok so maybe it's presumptuous of me to lump grime in with gangsta rap and the continual gangbanging beef that feeds hiphop worldwide. I don't really make the distinction of grime being anything other than UK hiphop though. So with that in mind yes many crews do feel the need to protect their rep and cred by violence sometimes fatal. Or are all those lyrics about gun culture and slaying your opposition just posturing and lipservice ? Maybe it's a general youth thing but i just don't hear much of youth violence in anything other than hiphop and grime. Is that because the media don't highlight it ?

Where do you live?

Why, are you gonna roll around with your click and get all up in my grille ? What difference would it make knowing that ? How about knowing what sexual preference, socio economic status, ethnicity and religion as well ?

sig

It's no mystery, right? The Truth can be found in New Zealand. Formerly posted here as Hell SD. Currently working overtime as resident wind up merchant.

Last edited:
Apologies to one and all and congratulations on your first post sig. Why did you edit it though ? What difference does it make ? The truth is dead...

Yes, there were times, I'm sure you knew,
When I bit off, more than I could chew.
But through it all, when there was doubt,
I ate it up, and spit it out.
I faced it all, and I stood tall,
and did it my way.

For what is a man, what has he got?
If not himself, then he has naught.
To say the things, he truly feels,
And not the words, of one who kneels.
The record shows, I took the blows
And did it my way!

...goodbye

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
So when it comes to making observations about the current climate of inner city london, you are speaking from a pretty good vantage point then. What with being the other side of the globe and all....

sig

Logan's comment here seems harmless enough in light of the fact that it was directed at someone who consistently put forth the most sweeping of generalizations and half-formed assertions about art and culture in the US and UK, but yet couldn't be asked to say where they happen to make their home.

you gotta love the net innit?

@tactics: im really getting bored with your "i can only discuss this with my african brethren" stance. when i say to you: "hey, you african guy, don't talk about that stuff, only white people understand politics, science, whatever" what would you say. Please dont mention on a discussion board that you're not willing to discuss stuff with the people on the board, just talk with your friends.

gives ppl the biggest hearts and chests in the world!

1 - I don't post on here often. I have things on so what are you referring to when you say 'im getting really bored...?' methinks you s*** talk!

2 - I made that statement to be honest and avoid conflict. after lurking on other posts and BEING involved in posts involving or just touching on race/ppl groups I realised that no one here can really discuss race/ppl groups properly without getting riled up or jus can't help themselves and over exaggerate things...dunno what it is about you peeps but there are just some thing's you will not understand if you come from a different culture/race/ppl group. there's nothing wrong with that - it's why humans are so great, its the great design of the Most High

3 - What would I say? I would say 'READ A BOOK YOU STUPID WASTE CADET AS YOU OBVIOUSLY DO NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE WORLD AROUND YOU!' *ahem*

4 - finally please don't tell me what I can and can't do. I don't know you, you don't know me...lets just leave it at that

tox

Factory Girl
everytime an "outsider" has an opinion about grime

Having an opinion of Grime music is one thing, and in that regard I agree that many on the board could be more open. However, I think the very point of this discussion is that it isn't
about Grime. Fair play, if you're across the otherside of the world, but know about what's happening on street level in UK cities then go ahead and make a valid point. On the other hand, if you're totally clueless and just playing a wind-up merchant, you might as well not comment.

Just to support Logan for a minute here: There are shootings and violence between young people in British cities on an increasingly regular basis. Just the other week there was a shooting in a Nottingham McDonalds, which must have some initial spark, but since that spark wasn't music, the cause hasn't been reported. In the case of Crazy T, we shouldn't be blaming Grime, but instead the fact that someone thinks lyrics are a reason to escalate to real threats, violence, kidnapping and eventually murder. The trigger for these events could just as well be girl troubles, football or stepping on someone's toe in a club. Rather than go with the easy option of blaming women or feet, it would make more sense to deal with the supply of guns, and the mindset which leads young people to commit acts of violence over such trivial matters.

This would involve looking into social and cultural factors on a larger scale, which of course could include music in general, but only to the same degree to which it involves, for example, Sport.

This makes a good read for those unfamiliar with the current ways of a small section of british yoof. Also see Kidulthood (not a great film, but informative nevertheless). And of course check out Fiddy's blog for a level headed look at the situation.

benjybars

village elder.
rah, this thread is turning arms house!

anyway, getting back to music, anyone hear roll deep last night?? some HEAVY riddims played!! you can download it here

http://download.yousendit.com/05752942414E1073 (safe to foz @ rwd for the rip)

anyone know what the tune is playing 6mins 30secs in or the one that follows it and gets about 5 reloads?? both dutty...

then the last tune that skepta and jme go b2b on is sick:)

for those interested skepta was back at FWD last friday and according to plastician will be down there a lot more in the near future. big news!

petergunn

plywood violin
tom breihan of status aint hood says pitbulls versioning of fwd riddim is better than anything made by any other grime artist to date.

http://www.villagevoice.com/blogs/statusainthood/archives/2006/11/pitbull_better.php

not that i care too much, but i think he might just be saying that POW was the best grime song to date...

Pitbull gets identified with reggaeton a lot, but there's no reggaeton on El Mariel, his astoundingly great new album. He raps in Spanish and all, but he's no more reggaeton than he is dancehall or Miami bass. He's got a wide-open ear, and he'll rap over anything that might conceivably move an ass or two. Two years ago, he became the first prominent American rapper to embrace grime when he dropped a quick freestyle over Lethal Bizzle's "Forward (Pow)," still the single best track that the entire grime scene has ever produced. On El Mariel, Pitbull and his producers grab little bits and pieces of dancefloor alchemy from all over.

N

nomadologist

rompe rompe

tom breihan sure is wrong a lot. even just in the one article. i'm so sick of the sudden turn against "club" hop. when was has hip-hop ever not for clubs? damn. when was anything vaguely reggaeton not made for clubs? are there a lot of great hip-hop artists who don't talk about the drug blight that plagues the ghetto? one way or another.

i do want to get mariel though. i think i've heard it around already but i can't be sure.