GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

gumdrops

im not saying everything was perfect in the good ol days - i dont even like all those deja sets with idiot mcs shouting all the time, barely on beat, and reciting rubbish lyrics, but listen to something like that famous 45 min set with slimzee and dizzee and its hard to find a bad beat on there. maybe thats just slimzee (i mean he does have brilliant quality control/taste, to this day) but it does seem like back (im talking 2002/2003) then the quality control was a bit higher. often i hear modern sets and think the beat quality is pretty erratic. for every scars you get some weird crappy thing that sounds like someone sat on the orchestral preset button a bit too long lol. i might just be being selective of course. i remember hearing that skepta set from sept last year and thinking the beats on there were quite brilliant... but that seems like ages ago.

i wish barefiles was up again.

Last edited:

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
im not saying everything was perfect in the good ol days - i dont even like all those deja sets with idiot mcs shouting all the time, barely on beat, and reciting rubbish lyrics, but listen to something like that famous 45 min set with slimzee and dizzee and its hard to find a bad beat on there. maybe thats just slimzee (i mean he does have brilliant quality control/taste, to this day) but it does seem like back (im talking 2002/2003) then the quality control was a bit higher. often i hear modern sets and think the beat quality is pretty erratic. for every scars you get some weird crappy thing that sounds like someone sat on the orchestral preset button a bit too long lol. i might just be being selective of course. i remember hearing that skepta set from sept last year and thinking the beats on there were quite brilliant... but that seems like ages ago.

i wish barefiles was up again.

I dunno who you listen to these days. But in 2004 a bunch of tunes that sound like pulse x knock offs never really was that inspiring to me. The DJs I listen to usually play very good beats. I like to think I don't play anything which is pants in my instrumental sets.

BAAAAUUUUUMMMM

Last edited:

Blackdown

nexKeysound
is it me or is Goodz hungry right now?

Rodney P and Skitz are playing this tune that chops 16 bars of classic hip hop tune, old to new. Logan's playing one built from ukg through dark garage and into proto grime. Goods merks both and sound nuts!

gumdrops

hes on fire right now. putting a lot of other Mcs to shame. i hope something bigger comes out of it (like an album).

C

captain easychord

is it me or is Goodz hungry right now?

Rodney P and Skitz are playing this tune that chops 16 bars of classic hip hop tune, old to new. Logan's playing one built from ukg through dark garage and into proto grime. Goods merks both and sound nuts!

i think he's the best english mc

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Slowly but surely, authentic channels are opening up through which people who actually have some comprehension and appreciation of the scene are being used to filter through new talent, rather than fucking PR machines to sell the newest shitty gimmick cashing in on the cache of grime.

But seeing all these artists who flirt with association with Grime and street to give their average music credibility like N Dubbz, Sovereign, Lily Allen and Sway, whilst actual pioneers of music are neglected and clueless mainstream djs champion a piss poor knock off with a better melody really irritates me.

Would it REALLY be that much effort to give some of these grime acts access to a proper producer who can rework a proper grime beat and a proper grime lyric into some semblance of a successful song? Stick Terror and Sadie in a studio with some musical svenghali who can turn the uncut diamonds of their previous tracks into hits. Put Rapid in a stdio with ANYONE and help knock out a fucking banging true UK anthem with some proper vocal production to it. There untold talent that isn't being nurtured. Really gets me down sometimes seeing so much creativity going to waste.

And to re-iterate; Hadouken can collectively suck their mothers.

charlie

FUCK Dizzee

Warning.. you wont like this post!

Why is everyone waiting for Dizzee Rascal?

Lets recall something:

• He isn't REAL - he became a celeb time ago!
  • He is signed to a major record company (sales over quality of music)
  • He hasn't released anything in time (seriously thought he died or something)
  • His new album wont be grime, but probably "Grimey" Hiphop (speculation, well its produced by US producers, not UK Music!!)
  • Lily Allen? WTF?!! Pick anyone but not her!! :mad: grrrrrrrrr

Sooo....

Considering this album probably wont be Grime, sticking big artists on it, wont help grime at all! Just help to move a few more records and appeal to the more pop listeners. Meaning the ungrateful twat wants to get out of grime to get platinum status.. he's sold out.

So.... all this time, he kept quiet, dropped no mixtapes, proper sticking two fingers up to the fans who brought his past albums... expecting THEM to buy his new one.

Come on people, dont buy this album, SUPPORT UK MUSIC, this is no UK Music, its American, with some lily allen doing a chorus!! I bet Dizzee didnt even write the lyrics lol, wouldnt surprise me, I think all this time he was trying to get a "perfect album" out, getting ghostwriters to do lyrics, and maybe rearranging them to match his style...

dont hold on to the past people you'll kill the scene, you need to recognise Grime to these artists are a bandwagon to jump onto.. like garage started craig david, ms dynamite etc. they went straight to pop once you got them known... did they ever thank you? nope, did dynamite ever in public thanked sticky for creating her? nope...

i think you need to realise that no1 signed to a major record label company are REAL, and this REALness in urban music is just FAKE. I haven't heard any of the new dizzee album, but i think its going to sound american and too mainstream (which is crap!!)

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Really gets me down sometimes seeing so much creativity going to waste.

And to re-iterate; Hadouken can collectively suck their mothers.

It's breaks my heart too sometimes Logan, other times I look at it like the metal / alt.noise underground, who survive completely separate to the mainstream and do so quite nicely, and always have done. It's not the creativity going to waste that's a problem - it's not going to waste, it's just not getting exposed to as many people as *we* think it should. Maybe that's not a bad thing.

I was speaking to a mate yesterday who's a big record producer, and he doesn't do nothing he doesn't want to do anymore cos he was sick of working with majors who don't have a clue. No-one sells any records in the Uk anymore, really.

gumdrops

Would it REALLY be that much effort to give some of these grime acts access to a proper producer who can rework a proper grime beat and a proper grime lyric into some semblance of a successful song? Stick Terror and Sadie in a studio with some musical svenghali who can turn the uncut diamonds of their previous tracks into hits. Put Rapid in a stdio with ANYONE and help knock out a fucking banging true UK anthem with some proper vocal production to it. There untold talent that isn't being nurtured. Really gets me down sometimes seeing so much creativity going to waste.

its a shame. all grime artists need is someone to A&R them a bit and guide them and give them some advice in the studio about songwriting and producing a good 'record' as opposed to just making a beat etc. its a chronic waste that nobodies bothering to do this. but if you look at the music industry right now, theyre very cautious about what 'urban' music theyre touching and developing. hip hop in the states is on the wane commercialy, by and large. considering most of the majors here are global corporate companies, it doesnt look like anything rap-related is really high on their priorities. its a very conservative time.

Last edited:

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
It's not the creativity going to waste that's a problem - it's not going to waste, it's just not getting exposed to as many people as *we* think it should. Maybe that's not a bad thing.

Unfortunately gumdrops, what *we* think doesn't pay their bills.

28 Gun Nice Boy

Would it REALLY be that much effort to give some of these grime acts access to a proper producer who can rework a proper grime beat and a proper grime lyric into some semblance of a successful song? Stick Terror and Sadie in a studio with some musical svenghali who can turn the uncut diamonds of their previous tracks into hits. Put Rapid in a stdio with ANYONE and help knock out a fucking banging true UK anthem with some proper vocal production to it.

Now that would be an interesting project; imagine tunes like Tingz in Bootz / Ice Rink / Anger Management / re-engineered & re-mastered; how much would they lose and gain in the process?

28 Gun Nice Boy

Actually I always felt Terror Danjah's tunes were some of the few pure grime tunes with good production standards ('So Sure' with Sadie & Kano was an exception to that rule though).

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Unfortunately gumdrops, what *we* think doesn't pay their bills.

I know, and Grime's the only scene I actively support in terms of buying releases etc because of that factor.

The point though is that I've been actively involved in the 'underground arts' for like 20 years now, and only know a handful of people who make a living off of what they do fulltime. Everyone else I know - and it's not reflection of the quality of the work - either has jobs or does illegal activity or ponces off the state in order to fund their work. This idea that artists in any genre exist from their work just isn't true on a large scale in the UK especially London at the moment, the cost of living over here is fucking expensive. Even people I know who run studios or galleries have to whore themselves to pay the bills.

Me personally I don't think 'we' should be looking for 'their' support, fuck em.

Thanks for calling me 'gumdrops'! I prefer 'sweetpea' or 'baby' though.