Worship the colossal squid, puny humans!!!

john eden

male pale and stale
squid.jpg

Am I the only one here who saw this in the paper at the weekend has been completely disturbed by (and eerily attracted to) it ever since? An acquaintance had to physically cut the photo out of the paper and send it to her boyfriend to stop her obsessively looking at it and Getting The FEAR.

It's just, AWESOMELY weird. more info here:

http://uncarved.org/blog/?p=708

Can we have a colossal squid smiley for Dissensus now?

mms

sometimes
john eden said:
squid.jpg

Am I the only one here who saw this in the paper at the weekend has been completely disturbed by (and eerily attracted to) it ever since? An acquaintance had to physically cut the photo out of the paper and send it to her boyfriend to stop her obsessively looking at it and Getting The FEAR.

It's just, AWESOMELY weird. more info here:

http://uncarved.org/blog/?p=708

Can we have a colossal squid smiley for Dissensus now?

my girlfriend just told me this is an immature species - they grow up to 3 times that much !!!
is'nt that a brilliant animal ??
you could train it up and have whirlitzer carts on each of its tentacles and get it to spin around in the water and it would be the best fairground ride ever!!

looks like my anthropromorphisim only stretches so far...

Last edited:

hint

party record with a siren
I bet it absolutely reeks too.

Frightening

Has everyone seen this video? I think a healthy respect for anything with tentacles is in order.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Jesus, that video is just set up to be menacing, eh? Nasty...

I've read several instances of giant squid washing up, etc. but that photo at top of thread really does look fake to me. The colour, but mostly the texture... it doesn't look at all dirty or sloppy and decaying, and I'd expect it to be at least one of those from other photos I've seen. Maybe it's a left over from an old Doctor Who set? ;) It looks like papier mache or something.

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
I've got the cutout from the Grauniad Sep 10 in front of me right now.
It's just awesome. It looks like something out of Futurama.

Picture is probably real, the book mentioned in the article is
"Extreme Nature" by Mark Carwardine (out in October according to a quick google).

The questions are -
- does it have two of those eyes?
- can the eye be used as a football for a good kickabout?
- can we have one for the London Aquarium please?

john eden

male pale and stale
Ness Rowlah said:
The questions are -
- does it have two of those eyes?

yeah the guardian seems to say something about 2 eyes, so maybe there is one round the back? In some ways that makes it marginally less weird for some reason...

Do not doubt the awesome power and god-like existence of the colossal squid, 2step and Michael!

Woebot

true story:

once when i worked at an advertising agency (WCRS) as a practically intern-level junior employee (first job) as a prank i left a 3 foot-long squid on the star creative's desk when he was out at lunch.

jon, that squid isnt real. is it?

john eden

male pale and stale
You sceptics will be first up against the wall when the Church of the Colossal Squid is in the ascendancy!!!

What about this diagram from Confucius' last link, then?

Aharveyi.jpg

It's not the same species, but it still has "volley ball-sized eye".

And is it likely that Collins would stick plastic invertebrates in a coffee-table book about weird nature?

LET THE COLOSSAL SQUID INTO YOUR HEARTS, BROTHERS AND SISTERS!!!

martin

----
john eden said:
An acquaintance had to physically cut the photo out of the paper and send it to her boyfriend to stop her obsessively looking at it and Getting The FEAR

Charming! What did he do to deserve that?

On a fear rating, I'd put it at about 10 points below Jesus floating off the cross and hovering around mid-air in an empty church at 4am, but 5 points above Islamic terrorism

john eden

male pale and stale
martin said:
Charming! What did he do to deserve that?

I think she wanted him to protect her from it, but still allow her to see it from time to time.

But apparently he has now destroyed it because she was getting "hysterical, in the manner of a victorian lady". :D

martin

----
john eden said:
I think she wanted him to protect her from it, but still allow her to see it from time to time.

But apparently he has now destroyed it because she was getting "hysterical, in the manner of a victorian lady". :D

Why are girls so crap? They hate mice. They're scared of non-venomous spiders. They can't stand Big Black records. They'll buy leather shoes, but start gagging and threatening to vomit if you show them a slice of delicious black pudding. And now - they're terrified of The Sixth Secret Master of the World. An excellent description, on your friend's part, of an all too familiar psychosis.

sufi

lala
O

Not necessarily - they'd have to use some sort of winch to hoist it out of the water
you mean it's not levitating in front of those prostrating lesser mortals
how disappointing

;)