Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: "Now that's what I call Grime" track listing suggestions

if this was actually going to be put together (heheheh) then i'd like to see loads of the '03 jammer productions reascued for history....birds in da sky, vice versa(as in the 'our programme for the future' instrumental, surely one of the most wierdly utopian sino-grime tracks) pick & mix...so much of that is too good to just disappear- the original versions of eskimo and ice rink also...

Quote Originally Posted by Plasticman
    I have been trying to get a decent grime comp out for the last year or so, the majors don't want to know.

It's all about setting up a compilation through a decent independant.
    plastic what about rephlex?

i was thinking of something along the lines of warp's 10+ series, three 2cd compilations. proto-grime, early and new grime.. instrumentals on disc 1, vocals on disc 2. this is probably impossible to pull off, but were you to succeed it would be a MASSIVE event, putting grime on the map forever and on equal terms with detroit techno and other scenes that have been properly documented.

i'd add mic centre by the newham generals too (the version that was up for DL on prancehall's blog a few weeks back). i fucking love that sinogrime-ish melody (im presuming footsie produced it) and the back and forth repartee between d double and footsie.
    Last edited by gumdrops; 29-09-2005 at 08:28 PM.

1 Destruction VIP mix -- Wiley, Kano, D Double and Doogz
    2 Down -- Ruff squad
    3 Last Night -- Essentials
    4 Gangster (i think this the name, its on targets remix of wizzbits popadoms) -- Riko
    5 Music to your ears/jennifer -- Ruff squad
    6 Together -- ruff squad (but it has to be a refix, cause the lyrics and the set up are just too standard -- maybe Craig David? otherwise a combination like destruction VIP, J2k/Titch/Doogz perhaps)
    7 Jealousy & Hate -- Doctor
    8 Saw it comin -- With only Wileys, Ears and JME's bars
    9 Scandalous Unlimited ft Ny - Fire
    10 ?????? -- Alex Mills (produced by Danny Weed)
    11 Don't Choke -- Roll Deep
    12 Trouble -- Roll Deep
    13 Old Days -- Kano

Gosh, that was fun.

im surprised warp or rephlex dont at least do a bona fide instrumental grime (as opposed to dubstep under the grime guise) compilation. there's plenty of beats that would sound fantastic with or without a vocal on top.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasticman View Post
    Jammer - Murkle Man
    N.A.S.T.Y. - Run For Cover
    Skepta - Single
    J.M.E. - Serious
    Wiley - Sidewinder
    Ruff Sqwad - Anna
    Meridian - Private Caller
    Tinchy Stryder - Underground
    D Double E - Signal
    Newham Generals - Prangman
    Essentials Feat/ J2K & Dynasty - State Your Name
    Kano - P's and Q's
    Bearman - Drinking Beer
    Plasticman feat. Shizzle, Fresh, Napper - Cha Vocal (biased sorry !)
    Roll Deep - When I'm Ere

I think those are some good "recent" tracks which would all fare well on a commercial grime compilation. You've got the Channel U tracks on there which everyone knows as well, bound to help you with sales.

I'm not putting that down as a definitive list, if I could put one together myself I would choose differently, but I think to start with there are some core grime tracks in that list.
    forgot plastic ian used to be on here