"Now that's what I call Grime" track listing suggestions

Paul Hotflush

techno head
Blackdown said:
Shake a Leg is Radio 1 A list and the album has sold over 30,000 copies. not that bad a start...

Shake a Leg is an awful record. It's not a great start when you get openly laughed at by Chris Moyles and compared to novelty records. The tracks that made the album were a naked attempt by Relentless to cross over, ignoring the fact that the two albums from the scene that have done the best (i.e. both Dizzee albums) took the opposite approach. Considering the talent in that studio, and some of the tracks they made, the product offered being offered to the public is weak. That's Relentless' fault.

30,000 is no great shakes. Two-bit indie bands like the Kaiser Cheifs lick that before breakfast. With those sales you'd get dropped at a major quicker than you can say "when do i start recording the second albu...?".

Plasticman

outraygeous said:
there would have to be some instrumentals on this no?

I think that this would make sense.

Afterall - the grime scene has been built around emcee's spitting over instrumentals live on radio and in clubs. Recorded tracks came later.

Maybe Disc 2 could be some instrumentals, with some vox laid down over the top by some big emcees.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Paul Hotflush said:
Shake a Leg is an awful record. It's not a great start when you get openly laughed at by Chris Moyles and compared to novelty records. The tracks that made the album were a naked attempt by Relentless to cross over, ignoring the fact that the two albums from the scene that have done the best (i.e. both Dizzee albums) took the opposite approach. Considering the talent in that studio, and some of the tracks they made, the product offered being offered to the public is weak. That's Relentless' fault.

Shake a Leg (which is shit, yes) was made by Roll Deep last summer, a long time before any major got involved. initially Island/Universal were going to sign them, but when they got cold feet, Relentless came in.

The released Relentless album, bar it's final track selection details and sample re-records by people like Jennna G, was very similar to the one handed to Universal almost a year before.

the album's direction was Roll Deeps' decision, not Relentless'.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Plasticman said:
I have been trying to get a decent grime comp out for the last year or so, the majors don't want to know. It's all about setting up a compilation through a decent independant.
OK. Relentless are capable but perceived to be flawed. Any others who could be trusted to get this out the door?

Kinda shame Dizzee isn't a DJ... could do with a name on the front of it. (Hence my not entirely unserious Westwood suggestion... does anyone know how well that Crunk compo sold?)

Paul Hotflush

techno head
Blackdown said:
Shake a Leg (which is shit, yes) was made by Roll Deep last summer, a long time before any major got involved. initially Island/Universal were going to sign them, but when they got cold feet, Relentless came in.

The released Relentless album, bar it's final track selection details and sample re-records by people like Jennna G, was very similar to the one handed to Universal almost a year before.

the album's direction was Roll Deeps' decision, not Relentless'.

And they chose the singles?

OK, if that's true I take back what I said about Relentless.

gumdrops

2stepfan said:
We need hooks so suggestions of Dizzee tunes would be welcome -- I'm note sure if I Luv U quite does it for me, or at least not alone; Jus’ A Rascal perhaps?

jus a rascal is too hip-hoppy for me personally, maybe something like give u more would be good for a dizzee inclusion (or his ice rink vocal even).

tom pr

For Dizzee, I think I'd go with Trapped or Give You More- something that wasn't on the albums. definately have Tinchy's Underground on there, and probably the When I'm Ere wiley remix for the roll deep track. NASTY's In da place?

also feeling the idea of having a second disc of instrumentals with new MCs doing vocals.

bun-u

Trumpet Police
Here's the tracklisting for a "intro-to-grime" comp I did for a mate recently:

so sure freestyle - Wiley
colder - Trim
serious - JME
gangster toys - demon / kano
When I'm Ere (Wiley Remix) - Roll Deep
all day long - Roachee & Ruff squad
anger management - P Jam feat D Double
Chillin' - Ruff Squad
Get Out - Bruza, D Double E, Kano & Demon-
state your name - The essentials
singalong - Crazy titch
sidewinder - Ruff squad & roll deep
the set -Statik
srewface - Tinchy Stryder
underground - Ruff squad
vexed - Dizzee Rascal
P's And Q's - Kano
Destruction - Jammer
Grime - D Double
Dead That - Riko & Godsgift

Also, while we're back at the 'why grime hasn't blown' debate - something struck me recently .... grime's most talented artist (Dizzee) and best its crossover artist (The Streets) were ready and cherry-picked up before the scene had even found its legs....so from "the mainstream's" point of view, it already had what it needed, with no ongoing need to dig any deeper into the scene.

In normal circumstances you would expect these premuim artists to emerge when the given scene is in a greater stage of maturity, and the mainstream would normally have to back several horses to find the ones they could cash in on. For grime though, it all happened dead early.

Just a thought...

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
Not only could it cut it, but it really needs to be on there and I'm shocked (shocked, I tell you!) that it hasn't been mentioned yet. Eskimo is too important a track to be left off NTWICGrime vol. 1

And I say I Luv U is as well.

And re: points made up thread about grime thinking it's bigger than it is, someone needs to convince the producers and MCs that this sort of comp is crucial for the development of the scene and that they should start thinking about how not making quite as much right now could make them a lot more later on.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Chris Moyles laughing at a record is the only seal of approval I care about from radio 1. If it isn't one of his close showbiz pals on vocals, pretty much everything gets laughed at or mocked.

Shake A Leg was a hit record on pirate radio before any majors were involved. The underground loved it.

And as I mentioned previously, labels won't do a compilation because there is guaranteed profit in other ventures, rather than risking putting money into an unproven genre.

When there is a Grime number 1 then people will see numerous compilations. Until then it isn't viable within the narrow minded accounting departments' vision of investment.

My cd will be out in independant stores at the start of November. Feel free to buy that if you want a proper grime compilation cd.

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
Logan Sama said:
And as I mentioned previously, labels won't do a compilation because there is guaranteed profit in other ventures, rather than risking putting money into an unproven genre.

When there is a Grime number 1 then people will see numerous compilations. Until then it isn't viable within the narrow minded accounting departments' vision of investment.

So how did this happen in jungle/Drum and bass?

Was there ever a UK number 1 DnB record?

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Raves being held several times a month attracting several thousand people at £20 a head and thriving vinyl sales lends itself to having people within the industry who can afford to fund such projects themselves.

Note 2 things which are not existent in Grime.

tryptych

waiting for a time
2stepfan said:
Yes, this is an exercise in testing the limits of market failure. For my suspicion is that there is an untapped market which no-one has quite had the nous or nerve to address. Never forget -- the founding assumption of Merrill Lynch is that markets are imperfect, and that this affords opportunity. It's just a question of your appetite for risk...

Wow, deja vu... I'm just reading "Commodify Your Dissent" (collected articles of the Baffler) - it seems as if us hipsters are fulfilling the role capitalism wants us to in 2005 just as in 1995...

nonseq

Terror Danjah - Creep Crawler
Wiley - Eskimo
Wiley - Morgue
Danny Weed - Creeper
Plasticman - Cha
Shystie
Dizzee - I Luv You
Radio Freestyle Interludes

juliand

Perhaps I'm confusiing the nature of the endeavor, but wouldn't a "Now That's What I Call Grime" include even more obvious songs? And _every_ grime novelty song ever. I don't think it'd be too discerning

Lady Sovereign, "Cha Ching"
Donae'o, "My Philosophy"
Dizzee Rascal, "Dream"
Roll Deep Crew "The Avenue"
Lethal Bizzle, "Forward Riddim"
Shystie, "Step Back"
Wiley, "Wot U Call It?"
Jammer, "Destruction VIP"
Essentials, "Headquarters"
Terror Danjah, "Cock Back"
D Double "Serious"
Kano "Ps and Qs"
Riko "Critical"
Jammer, "Murkle Man"
Bearman, "Drinking Beer"
Streets, "Fit But You Know It"
Skream "Request Line"
Tinchy Stryder, "Underground"

and something sortof wrong, like "Almighty Father"

petergunn

plywood violin
gumdrops said:
jus a rascal is too hip-hoppy for me personally, maybe something like give u more would be good for a dizzee inclusion (or his ice rink vocal even).

i would say "stop dat" is dizzee's hardest track, or "trapped"...

def. "sidewinder" that song is too sick, plus it's got bits of other tracks in it...
also, "underground" is nasty as well...

no one said anything by Lethal B (or have i not read the whole thread yet?)

i know "pow" is really played out, but it's a monster track, maybe "no" instead? or even "uh oh", as that's more a grime type beat...

for instros, i would think about the following:

the creeper- danny weed
golly gosh- sticky
jon e. cash- war
piano madness- terror danjah
anything by wiley

atomly

atomiq one
For the kickoff of our new grime monthly I did a sort of "grime anthems" set, since the majority of people around here aren't anywhere near familiar with the genre other than a little bit of Dizzee or whatever. Anyway, my tracklist:

Roll Deep - When I'm 'Ere
Lethal B - Pow!
Wiley - Eskimo
Skepta - DTI
Kano - Boys Luv Girls
Dizzee Rascal - Stand Up Tall
Musical Mob - Pulse-X
Pay As You Go - Know We
Wiley - Wot Do You Call It?
Kano - Ps & Qs
Medasyn - The Battle
Terror Danjah - Cock Back
Dizzee Rascal - I Luv U
Mo Fire Crew - Oi!
Wiley - Pies
Vex'd - Thunder

Cut out the first and last track and I'd say those are my nominations plus a few that have already been mentioned.