Creative Genius at Walkers

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
They should just stop pretending that crisp flavours taste anything like the things they're named for and simply release a 'Salt, salt, MSG & salt' flavour.

I, for one, would buy that for a $.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
'Giant Squid' flavour crisps <----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------> snacks that actually are made from, or taste of, giant squid.

Now giant squid biltong - or sashimi! - that'd be a different matter.

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
mmm biltong. like meaty crisps. i tried some american beef jerky the other day and it was really horrible. really sugary, moist and sweaty. i prefer biltong, especially when it's dry and almost like actually eating salty meaty tree bark.

btw. what happened to brannigans? when (and why) did they stop using the brown papery bags?! those beef and mustard ones were quite hot, weren't they?

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
I'm not normally given to Burchillian food inverse-snobbery, but crisps with foodie adjectives (Maldon sea salt and cider vinegar etc) can fuck right off. Some things, while fine when added to a tarragon vinegrette or an ethically sourced hand made sausage, just don't stand up to a big pile of ordinary salt and a bunch of chemicals in the context of deep fried potato products.

It reminds me of a Berger and Wyse cartoon labelled 'gastropub toilets' - an average pub toilet except that the machine on the wall advertises "flavoured condoms: wild thyme and organic welsh lamb flavour."

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Heh.

David Sedaris has a great line about a related issue, namely the over-description of dishes in rather try-hard up-market restaurants, where he asks the waiter for a carafe of fresh, chilled, hand-drawn tap water and a traditional small, round, oven-baked wheaten loaf to accompany his meal. Or something like that anyway, you get the idea.

Tyrell's crisps are good. Almost too good...

tyrell.jpg

"'More crispy than crisps', is out motto."

luka

i really like msg. there's never been any evidence that its bad for you. im a staunch defender of the stuff. it really does taste delcious.

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
yeah msg is good..

<aside> is it true that mcdonalds fries are basically just soya, salt and msg?
me mate told me that they had to call them 'fries' cos they weren't actually made of potato.
also, while i'm on it. apparently it's the same with the gherkins in the burgers. if they weren't there to balance the acidity they would have to be classified as confectionery due to excessively high sugar content! </aside>

anyway. what about skips?! also, nice n spicy niknaks?

luka

niknaks make me feel used and dirty. sometimes in a good way, sometimes in a bad way. skips genuiinely do melt in your mouth. i quite like them. prawn cocktail crisps are really good. sweet crisps. its a good direction.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
i really like msg. there's never been any evidence that its bad for you. im a staunch defender of the stuff. it really does taste delcious.

Yeah, I've seen Chinese restaurants with signs outside saying "We don't use MSG!" and it makes me think, well what's the point then?

swears

preppy-kei
My mate went travelling and said that in some parts of asia, they actually have a bottle of MSG on the counter in takeaways and you can slosh it on your food like vinegar. He loved it.

Client Eastwood

I urge you to try lemon and chilli crips. They're unputdownable once you open a pack. You can get them in cassava and potato. There usually in the Asian section in super markets as opposed to the munchies section.

Agree on the Walkers poppadum and sweet chilli line.

Do Seabrook ever get out of Yorkshire. Its the only place I see them and they are a mighty fine crisps. More chunky than Walkers and kindof overflavoured, in a good way.

Last edited:

scottdisco

rip this joint please
Do Seabrook ever get out of Yorkshire. Its the only place I see them and they are a mighty fine crisps. More chunky than Walkers and kindof overflavoured, in a good way.

Bang Diddley you are a legend for mentioning Bradford's finest.

i like these for the reasons you do, it seems.

i've seen them in the midlands and northwest a lot, where they are second nature also.

think i remember seeing them in London once or twice, anybody else?
they're just deeply satisfying, i find.

cobretti

[-] :: [-] ~ [-] :: [-]
I've spied Seabrooks in Glasgow before, but they're not a regular by any means.

On the chilli & lemon tip mentioned upthread, these are my current favourite & have been for a few years now:

Bc13bignu.jpg

They are bloody great, fairly spicy with proper flavouring all over the buggers. A good bit left over at the bottom too for the gluttonous finger licking action.

The Nando's hot chilli & lemon ones are pretty good too, but unfortunately you can only get them in big bags and they cost about one fiddy a sack.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
think i remember seeing them in London once or twice, anybody else?
they're just deeply satisfying, i find.

We used to sell them in the pub I worked in years ago (which was also a real ale Mecca, if you'll excuse the phrase) - the roast ox flavour was nonpareil.

Speaking of 'effnic' sections in supermarkets, I've just had quite a funny experience - visiting folks in France at the moment and spotted, in the local supermarket's Foreign Stuff aisle, a small selection of exotic products such as marmite, HP sauce, Oxford marmalade, Yorkshire tea, Heinz baked beans... :D

Last edited: