Creative Genius at Walkers

luka

Your fingers might have grown since you were in primary school. Thought a top physicist would have factored that into his equation.
Personally to echo Martins 'protestant crisp' slur I consider the hula hoop to be a puritan crisps. Reconstituted potato powder like a crisp made of Smash. Joyless things.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I was about to add that the growing fingers aspect can safely be ruled out as I have a clear memory of eating them that way while I was a student and I don't think my fingers are *that* much fatter than they were when I was in my early 20s.

droid

I was about to add that the growing fingers aspect can safely be ruled out as I have a clear memory of eating them that way while I was a student and I don't think my fingers are *that* much fatter than they were when I was in my early 20s.

luka

anyone tried that flavours of the decade range?
i like the concept but the flavours sound uninspired
sweet chilli sauce, cheese fondue, chicken tikka, etc

luka

Great thread, this.

Current fave crisps - original flavour Doritos, salt n vinegar flavour Square crisps.

Favourite walkers flavour is Prawn Cocktail, which I know is bizarre.

during the time i lived in sydney prawn cocktail crisps were illegal. banned as public health hazard.
i rate them highly. it's the only real sweet crisp. sweet with a black pepper tang.

luka

Peking Spare Rib & Five Spice Oriental Crackers Walkers Sensations:

that's one exquisite fucking crisp!

Brittle, and sweet. Fizzles your tounge: leaves it tingling, gagging for sauce!

these are the ones i really miss. the fizzy cassava crackers. i like the mango chutney poppudums a lot
but the oriental crackers were the pinnacle.

luka

Thanks Scott. There are indeed a fine selection of Irish crisps, ranging from:

SamSpudz-BurgerBites.jpg

the burger bites are interesting. im now assuming this is an irish innovation. packets are starting to creep into the UK
from small time manufacturers(e.g. bobbys). nz and australia each have their own version of burger bites. the australian one is preferable
for most situations in fact it is delicious. the kiwi one is something unique. so full of 'flavour' it's like being assualted.

generally speaking i avoid 'corn snax' as they make me feel dirty and used but of course sometimes you really want to feel
dirty and used.

Last edited:

luka

i don't understand why anyone eats supernoodles. they are way inferior to most much cheaper noodles. especially the tom yam ones by koka and the ones they make in the brown packet. they are amazing.

ive often almost started an instant noodle thread but ive always decided, in the end, that you lot know fuck all about instant noodles so it wouldnt be worth my while.

luka

mmm biltong. like meaty crisps. i tried some american beef jerky the other day and it was really horrible. really sugary, moist and sweaty. i prefer biltong, especially when it's dry and almost like actually eating salty meaty tree bark.

btw. what happened to brannigans? when (and why) did they stop using the brown papery bags?! those beef and mustard ones were quite hot, weren't they?

shop opposite me still does brannigans although not the full flavour range. mustard crips are something the french do that we dont. i think mustard crips are very nice in smallish doses.

luka

I urge you to try lemon and chilli crips. They're unputdownable once you open a pack. You can get them in cassava and potato. There usually in the Asian section in super markets as opposed to the munchies section.

Agree on the Walkers poppadum and sweet chilli line.

Do Seabrook ever get out of Yorkshire. Its the only place I see them and they are a mighty fine crisps. More chunky than Walkers and kindof overflavoured, in a good way.

lemon and chilli was a standard flavour in australia. i dont like it as potato but ive been buying ones made from lentils and ones from chickpea that work pretty good.

luka

in crisp and crisp culture news me and craner discovered Directors Cut Chilli Twists. best new crisp in a long time really rate them. just done a packet now.

never saw these ever again. one away exclusive release.

luka

walkers max strong is the other novelty range theyre pushing.
ive enjoyed the cheese and jalapeno but only after beers. sober they seem an affront to the palette.
not tried the other two flavours in the range.

Last edited:

luka

there's also two 'chip shop curry sauce' flavour products out at the moment. mccoys and one i cant remember. i preferred the one i cant remember(edit:golden wonder 'chippies'). mind you neither are as good as the very first time that flavour was created. theres also those funny fish shaped biscuits that come in chip shop curry sauce flavour. i quite like those too.

Last edited:

luka

anyone tried that flavours of the decade range?
i like the concept but the flavours sound uninspired
sweet chilli sauce, cheese fondue, chicken tikka, etc

can you fill us in on some of the other flavours?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
If this is unofficially the thread for discussion of crisps and allied snack, then considering the following: Aldi's own-brand plain tortilla chips (ingredients: maize, sunflower oil, salt; 49p/200g) are somehow tastier and more addictive than any flavour of Doritos.