cassette swap

minikomi

pu1.pu2.wav.noi
Whos in? might be a bit of fun..... devise some kind of random secret santa system to whom you send a cassette...
I think I'd thrill at the reciept of a well made mixtape.. be it psych folk i've never heard of, straight taped grime pirate stuff on one side and 10 people who out sigur ros on the other.... anything interesting :)

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Sounds like a fookin' brilliant idea. And props for the use of cassettes over mp3s - Walkman retro chic is just around the corner.

treblekicker

True Faith
Oh go on then. I used to put all my mp3s on tape till a few years ago. Walkmans were/are dirt cheap for the nice really compact ones. Good design too.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
A bit of a mash up of different stuff would be fab - I have loads of random stuff on mp3 etc I could record to CD and then to tape, and woul dlove other people's random stuff in return....over the years I've discovered so much new music from friends' tapes or random tapes I've found...

Where are you based, Minokomi? Could do a first one for you if you like sometime next week - have a few other CD sets to record for people then, so sure I could fit in one more... :)

bun-u

Trumpet Police
I could stick something forward to this – sure

I used to love making cassettes for friends. The good thing about it was that, unlike cdrs you had to do it all in real time - so while you were listening to a track you had time to think about which one should come next. I also remember cheating on some of the properly mixed tapes by butting in when the track goes silent and re-recording bits where the mix went ropey.

Count me in bro'. Was this inspired by my comments on the other thread?!

Some rules though:

No dubbing copies. Any tape you send out to someone must be unique, never to be exactly repeated.

No PC-printed inlays. Hand-written track lists only. You can hand-draw a nice design on the inlay if you like, or do a collage or summit, but again it must be a unique thing, no photocopies.

Do it with love and passion.

minikomi

pu1.pu2.wav.noi
yeah nick! it was!

hmmm sounds like good rules, but maybe the recipiant should

a) encode the tape
b) scan the tape

once recieved and write a little review, to go on a blog, so anyone whos interested could grab it. the original is the original and the rip would be shit quality so theres no qualms about filesharing etc...

maybe not? should it just be an individual thing?
if you love it, and someone else is interested, maybe you should be allowed to dub it?

or is my mode of thinking too mp3-ified? haha

so how do we go about this? it would be good to have a site where you enter your details, and then press a button and it adds you to a list, then recalls a random address from people who have entered their details........ maybe even annonymously, just an address not a name, so you can't try and 2nd guess their tastes?

minikomi said:
so how do we go about this? it would be good to have a site where you enter your details, and then press a button and it adds you to a list, then recalls a random address from people who have entered their details.......

the easiest thing way would be if you - as the initiator - would collect the addresses of those who want to participate, i.e. anyone who wants to take part would have to send you a p.m. containing his/her details (maybe you would have to set up a deadline...). then you could perform some kind of random selection in order to decide who should send his tape to whom.

rule no. 1 should of course be: in order to receive a tape, participants will also have to produce (and send out) one by themselves.

i like the idea of having reviews: there should be a thread where people could post their rants and raves about the cassettes they received, and maybe also playlists, scans of inlays/covers, links to digitized versions (if it's really good, it should be shared!)...

nick's rules should also be incorporated (although i think that it's a matter of honour to send out unique tapes...)

looking forward to see the big cassette-swap happen...

let's sacrifice some old-schoolish C90 mins of time for decent taping!

Buick6

too punk to drunk
Tho' these days it's be a mix CD since everyone has a 'puter and burner. Call it CD05 movement heh

carlos

manos de piedra
sounds like fun- count me in too

one comment: if it's going to be cassettes, should it be all analog (no mp3s, no computer mixes)...?

minikomi

pu1.pu2.wav.noi
i think the construction of the tape should be entirely up to the user - tricky tape techniques should be encouraged but not manditory.

ok, anyone who wants in send an email to:

FerriteLoveConnection@gmail.com

by the 15th of october

with: your address, and the name you want the package to be sent to. can be yours, or it can be secret so the person doesnt try to pre-empt you..... i'll do an excel spreadsheet shuffle and post it up somewhere, then we can have some kind of communal blog we post the reviews to. sounds good?

k-punk

Spectres of Mark
minikomi said:
i think the construction of the tape should be entirely up to the user - tricky tape techniques should be encouraged but not manditory.

ok, anyone who wants in send an email to:

FerriteLoveConnection@gmail.com

by the 15th of october

with: your address, and the name you want the package to be sent to. can be yours, or it can be secret so the person doesnt try to pre-empt you..... i'll do an excel spreadsheet shuffle and post it up somewhere, then we can have some kind of communal blog we post the reviews to. sounds good?

yes, brilliant....