Page 104 of 104 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104
Results 1,546 to 1,559 of 1559

Thread: questions you are dying to ask but are too scared to b/c of music nerd cred?

corpsey is beyonce
    CORP$EY is Sasha Fierce.
    Mariah Carey / Bianca Storm

where do i get started with Azymuth? i don't want any Brazillian hotel vibes strictly the grinding funk that Miles Davis was getting it onto when he talks about all them Brazillian birds around 74 in his autobiography.

They're not really like that tho. Light as a feather is the classic
    Took a rest stop that wasn't on the schedule

Quote Originally Posted by pattycakes_ View Post
    They're not really like that tho. Light as a feather is the classic
    I think im just gonna stick with south african jazz tbh. really swinging and groovy. you heard the first chris mcgregor brotherhood of breath album?

Azymuth is the pits. Gilles Peterson milquetoast gear.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

hey im allowed to live fantasies of elegance to raise the ire of some on this forum. but the elegance still has to have a bit of london tension somehow. I can't all be 1998 bukem!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to thirdform For This Useful Post:

This is more something I've learned recently than a question, listening to jazz, this thing Michael Brecker does on saxomophone.

Apparently you get overtones by blowing twice as hard to produce the additional note.

Default The decent shows.

Very practical kind of shame here, and I'm also outing myself as being old as the hills:

I just moved back to London after a 17 year absence and I'm having trouble finding good shows/dj nights. There aren't flyers/posters on the same scale, Time Out is even less useful than it was, pirate radio less of a factor, and obv a lot of venues and scenes have come and gone in the mean time.

Is it all FB/IG these days? As in, following your fave promoters/venues? And I guess Resident Advisor?

Dice seems only intermittently decent, tho maybe it improves the more you use it?

I should add it's smaller electronic shows I seem to be missing, tho also decent bands.

No one here has been out in London since 1999 sorry mate

Haha well then if you need advice on who was great in 2002 for reminiscing purposes, I'm your man.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MatthewH For This Useful Post:

Hi MatthewH

No idea about ravey stuff but I saw Pole do a great gig at Cafe OTO on Friday.

Everything is resident advisor for ticketed nights now really. Dice is okay

But if you want, you can look up keep hush, & lockoffevents on twitter, they do free nights for YouTube (just stand at the back of the front of the room to stay away from the cameras), generally midweek nights but would allow you to try out some new venues without paying...

I run a night there so I'm biased (August 30th is the next one, shameless plug) but I think corsica is still the most consistently good venue. There are a few clubs popping up in South London at the moment tho

Nice - good suggestions there, slackk.

Truth be told, tho, it's going to take a lot to get me to go out regularly in South London. Old habits die hard.

Away from South London look at places like Five Miles, Pickle Factory, Grow Tottenham. There are a few good ones like that