questions you are dying to ask but are too scared to b/c of music nerd cred?

geto.blast

snap on rims
I think that s all the gear Mr Oizo (remember him?) used : an ms20 , a space echo and an akai sampler.

maybe someone should start a music makin' sticky thread??

nah.....

mms said:
got to remember that west indian slang is pretty strong, so slew still doesn't really mean slew in a sense - its a strong word to express desire or 'things that should happen' rather than a description of an willed action.

slew means slew man...to destroy, get rid, bun out!

bassnation said:
i think dancehalls made big steps in eradicating this kind of overt prejudice, was reading an interview with sean paul where he was talking about how little time he has for it, how much he feels its damaged dancehalls standing. a lot of the producers and people involved seem to be thinking the same way.

however: you can't choose your sexuality just like you can't change your race and everyone deserves respect. so in what respect is homophobia any different from racism?

he said it cos he wants to remain crossover king of the moment and continue to sell more records in the west. Other's in that scene will agree in the same way for the same reasons aswell. Don't get it twisted.

Please don't compare sexuality decisions to race. Please say your not an African/black person aswell.

S

simon silverdollar

Tactics said:
Please don't compare sexuality decisions to race.

why not?
and what are these 'sexuality decisions'? i don't remember ever 'deciding' to like girls.

bassnation

the abyss
Tactics said:
he said it cos he wants to remain crossover king of the moment and continue to sell more records in the west. Other's in that scene will agree in the same way for the same reasons aswell. Don't get it twisted.

i can't know for sure what sean paul really thinks privately, thats just what i read - it was a guardian article if i remember correctly.

Tactics said:
Please don't compare sexuality decisions to race. Please say your not an African/black person aswell.

it isn't a decision, and even if it was, its still not justifiable to imprison, denigrate or even murder them for it. these are things that happen to gay people across the world, legally carried out by some governments.

i think this can be called oppression - and the fact that it is doesn't lessen all the other evils like racism.

zhao

there are no accidents
Question-El-Stupido number 2 :

if DJ is short for disc jockey, why is it that in Jamaica DJ means Toaster/MC or atleast refers to an MC driven style?

:eek:

Freakaholic

not just an addiction
I always thought it was because early Jamaican Djs were copying the rock n roll radio Djs from America, who talked as much as spun records. Then, when the jobs of spinning and "toasting" split, the record manipulator became the "selector" while "dj" stayed with the more high-profile role of mc.

ChineseArithmetic

It is what it is
There's some stuff in David Toop's Rap Attack that says basically that. There were American 'personality jocks' who would do manic spoken bits in between records on rnb/jazz stations, with nutty catch phrases, and some visiting Jamaicans are reckoned to have brought the style back with them.

nomos

Administrator
Tactics: If your concern is equality, then one modality (e.g. gender, sexuality) can't be ignored or subordinated to another (e.g.race, ethnicity). And I can point you to numerous black (as well as white, asian and otherwise) authors/social theorists/activists who make this point very strongly.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
droid said:
create a new basslines by chopping and EQng the bass you want to keep from each tune into the mix as you roll along...

yes I love to do this - alternating between the 2 basslines by EQing A out and letting B play, and vice-versa, in various patterns. like A, A, A, B, or A, A, B, B, etc.

but the bad thing is people never seem to notice :( and I'm the only one who ever realizes how fucking cool it is.

I was afraid the dj / MC question had already been raised... I should read through before posting...

Freakaholic

not just an addiction
i just read gutterbreakz review of dubstep allstars 3.

what, exactly, is "platter pushing".

i feel like i should know this. googling only tells me its djing.

echevarian

babylon sister
Far as I know, platter pushing is when you're beat matching.

You physically push the LP to slightly increase its BPM.

This pitches the record up, but not as much as going from 33 to 45 rpm.

Any actual DJs feel free to correct me.

dHarry

scarboi said:
Far as I know, platter pushing is when you're beat matching.

You physically push the LP to slightly increase its BPM.

This pitches the record up, but not as much as going from 33 to 45 rpm.

Any actual DJs feel free to correct me.
I'm no DJ, but for the record (!) pushing/pulling the record just nudges it forward/back with respect to the needle (i.e. the currently playing position), to help line up the beat with the other record playing. It doesn't exactly change the BPM (except for the moment it's being pushed/pulled) - the pitch control +/- does that. So if both records are the same BPM but not quite beat-matched a little push/pull can be used to get them in sync.

Don Rosco

confucius said:
yes I love to do this - alternating between the 2 basslines by EQing A out and letting B play, and vice-versa, in various patterns. like A, A, A, B, or A, A, B, B, etc.

but the bad thing is people never seem to notice :( and I'm the only one who ever realizes how fucking cool it is.

Ha ha, i'm the same. Occasionally a dj standing around will notice, but usually no-one. That's not bad though, there's definitely an argument for saying a DJ shouldn't be bringing attention to himself anyway, at least not with little tricks like that. I mean, if someone was doing some amazing scratching, that's worth bringing attention to, but flipping basslines should just add to the overall flow...

On a similar note, there's a DJ here in Dublin that always used to play double copies of Bodyrock (and I mean ALWAYS :mad: ). He did it in such a technically perfect way that it sounded just like one copy. What a waste of fucking time!

Constance Labounty

Down since 1999
viktorvaughn said:
What exactly are 4x4 and 2-step?
How exact do you want to know? They are the two types of UK Garage. 4x4 has the steady boom boom boom boom rhythm of classic US garage (or any house music)- 4 steady bass drum beats per bar. 2-step has an unsteady rhythm with beats shifted off-time. The name 2-step refers to there being only 2 bass drum beats per bar, with snares in place of the other two. Unlike 4x4, the name 2-step isn't particularly indicative of its sound since the off-time skippiness is the key.

Constance Labounty

Down since 1999
Ali G Drum n bass

I have a question myself. Don't laugh but.. What type of drum n bass is the stuff Ali G plays on his show? Techstep, jump-up, clownstep? Or maybe just a certain small group of producers? Its a distinctive style and its actually rather interesting compared to other contemporary drum n bass I've heard. Its not unreasonably fast or angry but just high energy and fun almost. With wonky synths and whatnot. Does he maybe just play particularly poppy up beat tunes that are unique and not really indicative of any genre? Or maybe he just plays the "chorus" of tunes and the rest of them is the standard uninteresting stuff?

I admit I feel quite silly learning about a scene from someone who is making fun of it.

viktorvaughn

Constance Labounty said:
How exact do you want to know? They are the two types of UK Garage. 4x4 has the steady boom boom boom boom rhythm of classic US garage (or any house music)- 4 steady bass drum beats per bar. 2-step has an unsteady rhythm with beats shifted off-time. The name 2-step refers to there being only 2 bass drum beats per bar, with snares in place of the other two. Unlike 4x4, the name 2-step isn't particularly indicative of its sound since the off-time skippiness is the key.

Nice one, i think that just about nailed it for me.

Another question - who is 'in' or affiliated with 'Low Deep'?

john eden

male pale and stale
Constance Labounty said:
I have a question myself. Don't laugh but.. What type of drum n bass is the stuff Ali G plays on his show? Techstep, jump-up, clownstep? Or maybe just a certain small group of producers? Its a distinctive style and its actually rather interesting compared to other contemporary drum n bass I've heard. Its not unreasonably fast or angry but just high energy and fun almost. With wonky synths and whatnot. Does he maybe just play particularly poppy up beat tunes that are unique and not really indicative of any genre? Or maybe he just plays the "chorus" of tunes and the rest of them is the standard uninteresting stuff?

I admit I feel quite silly learning about a scene from someone who is making fun of it.

I would say jump up or ragga-jungle. The thing he did with that guy out of Supergrass was outstanding, I thought. :D