questions you are dying to ask but are too scared to b/c of music nerd cred?

Constance Labounty

Down since 1999
hint said:
It's like dynamic-free modern Metal mashed up with the sonic pallette of modern Trance.
Interesting. While we're on this topic, does anyone know what that drum'n'bass/jungle tune is in that promo clip on Radio 1 when they say "in new music we trust" and mention different genres and then playing little snippets (like, "electro (sample clip), breakbeat (sample clip)"). I know they always play it before the breezeblock. The 'jungle' track is ridiculous. All hypersped and melodic. Everytime I hear it I'm like thats jungle nowadays?!

UFO over easy

online mahjong
Don Rosco said:
I mean, if someone was doing some amazing scratching, that's worth bringing attention to, but flipping basslines should just add to the overall flow...

Indeed. Youngsta does it a LOT, more or less every single mix, and it just adds to the vibe... if you didn't know the tunes and didn't mix yourself, you'd never notice it. I actually think it's a lot easier to do when you're mixing dubstep...

Last edited:

Constance Labounty

Down since 1999
Sidewinder?

What exactly is 'Sidewinder' that everyone always talks about in relation to Wiley? I have a set of Wiley and Dizzee Rascal called 'Sidewinder Set Side B'. Its the best grime set I've ever heard. Is this THE Sidewinder people are refering to? Or was it a regular radio show from back in the day?

DonRuba

Stocktown man
Ah, feels good to bring back this old but very useful thread...

My question: What's is "Hauntology"?
Can someone deliver a small "Hauntology for dummies"-type explanation?
Especially about how the word is used here in the Hauntology thread, which to my unknowing eye just seems to be about good old name dropping of obscure music.

I tried to google this but in all the explanations I read I fell asleep at "Derrida" :)
No, seriously, please tell me.

S

simon silverdollar

Constance Labounty said:
What exactly is 'Sidewinder' that everyone always talks about in relation to Wiley? I have a set of Wiley and Dizzee Rascal called 'Sidewinder Set Side B'. Its the best grime set I've ever heard. Is this THE Sidewinder people are refering to? Or was it a regular radio show from back in the day?

sidewinder is a big grime rave that happens in milton keynes, not a radio show. they also organise an annual ukg and garage awards night.
'sidewinder' is also the name of a roll deep + ruff sqwad tune in which the MCs spit their most crowd-pleasing bars.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
DonRuba said:
My question: What's is "Hauntology"?
I'm sure I'll be corrected as necessary, but here's a brief summary of what I think that music thread was supposed to be about:
Hauntology is the idea of music that sounds like glimpses of or rejigging of something from another time that maybe never ever existed. So to take the example of Burial, people are saying they reckon it sounds like lots of elements from some time in London rave culture that maybe never really existed...

If that's all it's about, the idea is nothing new but I don't know of any other label for it.

That said, I think a lot of the suggestions in that thread may have just been things that sound spooky or haunting. For me references to grime or dubstep artists are much more obscure than the shit in that thread. :eek:

nomos

Administrator
confucius said:
did jungle grow out of Ragga? it was mostly a UK thing, right? around early 90s? was they English B-boys taking hiphop and Ragga and messing about?

(on a side note, the "sped up breaks" explanation of the birth of jungle seems strange. to me it's not speeding anything up, more like adding a double-time beat to existing tempo. like replace the dub key jabs with snare... and you get jungle. am I nuts?)
I'm not an expert on ragga but I can take a crack at the jungle bits.

Jungle grew out of hardcore, the second phase of rave, when a lot of new influences (hip hop, ragga, dub/reggae, european techno, etc.) began to reshape acid house. Between about 1990 and 1992 the BPMs were gettting faster and new elements that fed into jungle started becoming prominent in the music.

People like Fabio and Grooverider would, apparently, modify the pitch controls on their turntables in order to mix sped-up hip hop instrumentals with house/techno. That led to new sampled breaks-based tracks being made and the 4x4 kick becoming a lot less prominent - another rhythmic possibility rather than the core of it. In hardcore the breaks were typically looped and have a definite start/resoultion cycle every 4 bars. When jungle starts to emerge from hardcore in 1993, the breaks are increasingly dissected and rebuilt. Producers like Remarc would distend breaks across 8, 16 or more bars with various mutations and deferrals.

The ragga influence, as far as I know, comes into hardcore early on with groups like Shut Up and Dance, Ragga Twins, etc. They were bringing UK sound system culture into rave. MCs became increasingly prominent over that period and their patois gets thicker as you get closer to the emergence of jungle. I've got some early recordings where the MC is doing public service announcements and mostly managing the crowd. In jungle from 3 or 4 years later, the MCs are doing very ragga-influenced routines.

You also hear a dub influence in hardcore which becomes a bit less obvious in jungle. Slow basslines (from ragga too) were put beneath the fast breaks. And reggae's chka-chka guitars were first sampled, then remade as synth stabs, and then resequenced into new patterns.

Hope this helps a bit :)

Last edited:

DJL

i'm joking
hint said:
The first track featured on the clip is by Pendulum I think. It's a very big recent tune - I know that much.

I have no idea what that type of d'n'b is called. There's a lot of similar stuff on the Breakbeat Kaos label.

It's like dynamic-free modern Metal mashed up with the sonic pallette of modern Trance.

The track on that clip is actually called 'Grimey' by Dillinja (I think). It has a distinctive sample hook that goes 'time to get grimey' before dropping. It was a massive tune when it came out and made popular the sound described above which seems to have climaxed with what Pendulum do. Its also the first time I recall the word 'grime' being used in connection with UK rave music.

DJL

i'm joking
Constance Labounty said:

Bit more info on Sidewinder:

Organisation based in Northampton in the UK. Also have a record shop in Northampton. Run by a guy called Chris Lambert who also is responsible for drum n bass rave organisation 'Accelerated Culture'.

When the UK Garage fraternity started to disown themselves from the crew based style of garage (such as So Solid) Sidewinder seemed to be the only large rave to cater for the offshoot. Arguably Dizzee Rascal, Wiley and other grime central figures cut there teeth at these raves held at the now destoyed Sanctuary music arena in Milton Keynes. This venue is also notable for its central role in holding the most well known and influential underground UK rave events throughout the nineties.

Sidewinder raves mixed up DJs playing both UK garage, breakbeat, dark garage (which evolved into dubstep) and the newly emerging grime styles. When the Sanctuary shut Sidewinder moved to focusing mostly on grime with mixed success (in comparison to the Sanctuary days) at other (smaller) venues in Milton Keynes, Swindon and London.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
autonomicforthepeople said:
The ragga influence, as far as I know, comes into hardcore early on with groups like Shut Up and Dance, Ragga Twins, etc. They were bringing UK sound system culture into rave. MCs became increasingly prominent over that period and their patois gets thicker as you get closer to the emergence of jungle. I've got some early recordings where the MC is doing public service announcements and mostly managing the crowd. In jungle from 3 or 4 years later, the MCs are doing very ragga-influenced routines.

You also hear a dub influence in hardcore which becomes a bit less obvious in jungle. Slow basslines (from ragga too) were put beneath the fast breaks. And reggae's chka-chka guitars were first sampled, then remade as synth stabs, and then resequenced into new patterns.

Hope this helps a bit :)
Out of interest, when did hardcore / jungle start to take over the pirates, Notting Hill and so on? And what was there before? (Well, okay, I'd figured out what was at Notting Hill before...)

Robman

joy division oven gloves
Over DMZ Leeds t'other weekend I'm pretty sure Sgt Pokes mentioned something about "Doing the Churchill". Any ideas?

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
Slothrop said:
Out of interest, when did hardcore / jungle start to take over the pirates, Notting Hill and so on? And what was there before? (Well, okay, I'd figured out what was at Notting Hill before...)

Acid house. It was a gradual transition that tracked the music at raves.

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
confucius said:
(on a side note, the "sped up breaks" explanation of the birth of jungle seems strange. to me it's not speeding anything up, more like adding a double-time beat to existing tempo. like replace the dub key jabs with snare... and you get jungle. am I nuts?)

It most definitely was sped up. At first the breaks were in the 120's bpm just like hip-hop (Rob Base - It takes two) and starting in late 1991 it started speeding up every month so that by late 1992 tracks were all around 160 bpm. Then they realised that you can now play ragga samples without speeding them up since by now the music was exactly twice as fast as dancehall.

petergunn

plywood violin
confucius said:
why are there no dancehall/jungle cross-breeds? I mean you hear Elephant Man on Dirty-South hiphop records, why not some ill jungle remixes of Bounty Killer? there are quite a few house-y riddims, why have I NEVER heard ANY jungle/D'n'B flavored riddims????????

there are millions of these. there are some decent comps on Greensleeves that are decent places to start...

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Robman said:
Over DMZ Leeds t'other weekend I'm pretty sure Sgt Pokes mentioned something about "Doing the Churchill". Any ideas?
It's when you do this screw-faced (but happy) skank bumping from side to side to dubstep - thereby looking somewhat like the walking gait of afore-mentioned wartime prime minister. I think :p