questions you are dying to ask but are too scared to b/c of music nerd cred?

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
petergunn said:
there are millions of these. there are some decent comps on Greensleeves that are decent places to start...
Yeah, just search ebay for jungle CDs and look for ones from 1994 or 1995 - you will get unlimited amounts of rolling ragga jungle goodness for, literally, pennies.

viktorvaughn

2stepfan said:
It's when you do this screw-faced (but happy) skank bumping from side to side to dubstep - thereby looking somewhat like the walking gait of afore-mentioned wartime prime minister. I think :p

Very nice idea Paul! I got the impression it was when a banger dropped that demanded a large amount of head-noddage, Churchill being the dog in the car in the adverts.

I prefer yr inference though :cool:

Man should be called Sgt. Jokes though, i cant get enough of his abrupt comedic one-liners!

mms

sometimes
who did that track that goes
every time we come a dance we're dangerous -dangeeerrrroooussss!
marvellous track
i can't remember right now
early 90's dancehall

john eden

male pale and stale
mms said:
who did that track that goes
every time we come a dance we're dangerous -dangeeerrrroooussss!
marvellous track
i can't remember right now
early 90's dancehall

dangerous.jpg

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
The Trap

dreadglocks said:
wondering what exactly a "trapper" is in reference to Young Jeezy, Maceo, or any of the Atlanta new school.

The spot that you sell drugs from is called a "Trap" or "The Trap" if it's a strip that contains a bunch/crew of trappers or D Boys aka Dope Boys . The act of selling drugs is called "Trapping" and when you become popular/rich you become a "Trap Star" or a "Ghetto Celebrity". It's Atlanta/GA slang primarily and diffrent parts of the US have different names for it. In Detroit, they're called "Chedda Boys". One.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Nope!

confucius said:
does "draped up and dripped out" just mean high rolling with a nice buzz going? or is there some other meaning?

It refers specifically to the paint job/customization job done on the cars/vehicles that artists from the South/West drive in. It's prevalent in Atlanta, Memphis, Houston, and parts of California...not done on the East Coast that often except for Miami/FL. One.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
NAaah, man.

Lichen said:
for this reason?

Chedda is slang for money. Since they always have a hell of a lot of money or project that their doing well financially, they're referred to as "Chedda Boys". One.

Lichen

You're sure about that? I thought maybe:

Cheese = Enticement/Temptation

Innocent youth = Mouse

Trap = Crack habit/bad debt to dealer

Actually, when I posted 3 hrs or so ago I really did think the cheese/crack explanation was sound.

Now it seems absurd.

BUT

Why does Chedda = Money?

We come back to the cheese as bait theory.

Money is the bait in the trap. We are all mice.

Unless I get a better explanation for the Chedda thing I'm sticking with it.

Lichen

Fine. I'm happy that cheese = money. I still want to know why. It's not like it's expensive. In fact chedda is one of the cheaper cheeses

Dart, waddaya say?

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
One

2stepfan said:
and the meaning of "one"?

:)

In the Northeastern part of the US (where Hip Hop culture originated and the aesthetic that hip hp purists refer to as "real hip hop" was formed) around 15 or 16 years ago, cats started saying "One Love" (like the Bob Marley song) at the end of songs or messages or letters and it soon expanded to phone calls. The meaning became expanded around 1992 to represent "One Love, One God, One Nation, One Destiny..." it became an all encompassing phrase hat represented the unification of Black people and Latinos through music, specifically urban music (reggae, R&B/Soul, Hip Hop/Rap). That meaning soon expanded to represent the unification of ALL PEOPLE through urban music once it maded serious headway into pop culture in the US as well as worldwide. People often made variations on it like "One Hundred" (as in percent, how much they're willing to give to accomplish their goal). It got shortened it "One" around 1993 but it's been in use since at least late 1989. I've been saying it and hearing it since then. It's used often in hip hop (Nas' "One Love", Ghostface's "One", etc.) At the end of Jay Z's verse in "Crazy In Love" he says it if you pay attention. In the movie "Belly" starring Nas and DMX they use it about 50 times alone...it's a common word to me so I'm often surprised when people ask me what it means online. It's akin to "Peace", "I'm Out", "Audi 5000", "Ghost", "Swayze (EPMD's take on saying "Ghost") or "See Ya". One.

joe.

DJL said:
Sidewinder raves mixed up DJs playing both UK garage, breakbeat, dark garage (which evolved into dubstep) and the newly emerging grime styles. When the Sanctuary shut Sidewinder moved to focusing mostly on grime with mixed success (in comparison to the Sanctuary days) at other (smaller) venues in Milton Keynes, Swindon and London.

Sidewinder still happens at Creation in Leicester- the last couple of bank holiday weekends.
Last one was old skool special - had Slimzee, Heartless...

Lichen

i had it all mixed up with that odd comedian with the joan of arc haircut and squeaky voice!

i'm in the clear now :)

zhao

there are no accidents
my question is, what is the revenue model for wikipedia? or are all their writers, programmers, researchers, etc, volunteers?

zhao

there are no accidents
oh yeah... what does Bumbaclaat mean? is it just a cool sounding word to throw out when toasting? like "Booyaka!" ?