questions you are dying to ask but are too scared to b/c of music nerd cred?

nomos

Administrator
the other pound sign, as in the number sign

i once quoted a price for something to someone in the UK and it came out wrong on the other end, causing confusion and embarrassment. i typed the pound sign but it came out on that end as a dollar sign. so then i had to go and say 'no i actually was asking for twice as much.'

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
the other pound sign, as in the number sign

i once quoted a price for something to someone in the UK and it came out wrong on the other end, causing confusion and embarrassment. i typed the pound sign but it came out on that end as a dollar sign. so then i had to go and say 'no i actually was asking for twice as much.'

We have that though. On my KB it shares a key with the tilde. ~

Guybrush

Dittohead
I wonder if there is a common term for those r&b and hip hop songs which hooves in the 60-70 bpm region (or, depending how you look at it, in the 120-140 region).

nomos

Administrator
We have that though. On my KB it shares a key with the tilde. ~

our tilde is left of the '1' and shares with an alternate type of apostrophe. i hate having to switch to a french or french canadian keyboard layout because really basic things get moved around to make way for accented letters.

viktorvaughn

what is a gargon/gorgon, as in 'im a lyrically dan gargan' (d double i think?) and horsepowers 'gorgon sound'? Thats what it sounds like, guess it could be another word..

matt b

Indexing all opinion

Octopus?

In "Outta Town Shit" by Ghostface on "More Fish" there's a line:

"You gotta be on your Grizzly, if not then you might get pideeled"

I understand Grizzly, but pideeled? Is that just a misheard lyric on lyric sites?

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
You serious?

In "Outta Town Shit" by Ghostface on "More Fish" there's a line:

"You gotta be on your Grizzly, if not then you might get pideeled"

I understand Grizzly, but pideeled? Is that just a misheard lyric on lyric sites?

It's peeled. The word is peeled. Pideeled is merely a derivation of it. You can change it to pideeled or pizelled (like cats do in the street...which is what Ghost did). Peeled as in caps getting peeled (shot up) or literally peeled (left dead and skinless). Depending on what drug cartel (and where they're from) either can happen.

One.

Octopus?

It's peeled. The word is peeled. Pideeled is merely a derivation of it. You can change it to pideeled or pizelled (like cats do in the street...which is what Ghost did). Peeled as in caps getting peeled (shot up) or literally peeled (left dead and skinless). Depending on what drug cartel (and where they're from) either can happen.

One.

Ah, perfect. That makes much more sense. Thanks!

Eric

Mr Moraigero
Another vocabulary question about the Clipse record. What are *roosters in the duffel*? Is this just some coke term I don't know?

gabriel

The Heatwave
i've got another bandelero record it goes 'bandelero new name fe bad boy' , maybe it's spanish/portugeuse slang?

is that not (mad) cobra's 'gundelero'? where he says 'gundelero' is a new name for rude boys?

as far as i'm aware, bandolero is a mexican spanish term like bandido, meaning bandit - as featured in cowboy/western films etc to refer to the mexican badmen that will rob you as you pass by...

whatever d double says, i think it's generally recognised that ninjaman is the 'original don gorgon', though not strictly speaking original, given that the term predates ninjaman considerably and was used by (i think) cornell campbell in the 70s as well

john eden

male pale and stale
used by (i think) cornell campbell in the 70s as well

Yes it was. :cool:

gorgon.jpg

nomos

Administrator
pt 1

if the odd record distorts a bit or the needle has difficulty tracking during very loud or bass-heavy bits, is it more likely a case of careless mastering on their part or me not having properly adjusted my tonearm, weight, tracking etc? i just rebalanced my tonearms and changed my needles and some records just sound shit.

pt 2

how much tonearm weight do you people generally use?

I am a great disbeliever in hifi and a believer in whatever works.

Some records are mastered too loud and will skip on a good hifi but play ok on a technics 1200
with 5p on top of the cartridge. I've mostly found this with grimey records lately. It's about the bass of course.

I would generally set up a tonearm so that it's just the heavy side of absolutely balanced - ie there is as little downward force as possible on the needle commensurate with it not skipping.

If some records need a bit more, keep a 5p and some blutack handy:)

nomos

Administrator
yeah i guess that's the best idea. i'm was worried about ploughing holes in my vinly so i don't want to keep the weight on all the time.

it's on 1200s and it's just a few dubstep and grime ones. i was just wondering if i was doing something blatantly wrong. so it is the case then that sometimes they're just pressed too loud or bassy? isn't that what test presses are for?

Last edited:

DJ PIMP

Am I correct in my long and secretly held belief that the break on Bukem's "Horizons" is too loud in the mix and trebley?