Page 2 of 103 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: questions you are dying to ask but are too scared to b/c of music nerd cred?

Quote Originally Posted by Pearsall
    when did 'old skool' hardcore become 'old skool'? Did it become old skool pretty much as soon as the split between jungle and happycore occurred? I remember at the World Dance NYE party I went to in '96 there was an Old Skool Arena billed as such, playing tunes that (at that point) were no more than a couple years old.

Anyone remember when the switch happened?
    i guess its one of those things that crept up/is telelogically reappointed all the time?!?

maybe you've nailed the historical moment (same time as the rootsification of jungle) maybe general levy's incredible could be the watershed?

however another part of me thinks that maybe 1993 darkcore-era stuff was never really old skool, and the twin tribes of junglists/happy were still together at that point. maybe the swerve from the original barrage of helium vocals to the dark stuff . when the e stopped working that forms the dividing moment.

Quote Originally Posted by WOEBOT
    Klaus Weiss's band innit. On that Kraut veers into Jazz Funk tip.
    I assume Matt has copies of all these! There are three albums - Niagara (the Breast one), S.U.B, and afire (i think that is the title).

The latter will put you back about two hundred notes if you ever find it, Niagara about 50, and SUB crops up on the cheap (mainly cos it isn't as amazing as the others). Drop me a PM and I can send you a CDR of the stuff if you want as I spent a fair spell of time gathering it when WAY too skint to buy (or find!) the records.

One of the millions of questions I'm affraid to ask is:

What does IDM mean?

"intelligent dance music"

Ah.

what's bashment mean?

Quote Originally Posted by withnail
    what's bashment mean?

there's a thread round here with your name all over it
    what you know about ips, we are the top boys in ips

Quote Originally Posted by originaldrum
    there's a thread round here with your name all over it
    yep, yr reading it

What does it mean that a mix is "VIP"?

Quote Originally Posted by Johan
    It just means it's an exclusive cut of a tune recorded for a particular dj / soundsystem etc... as far as I know half the time they're just done for the cash rather than out of a deep respect but I'm sure some logan sama / stelfox types have more info on this one...

good idea for a thread...reminds me of work or school, when you realize you've been seeing the same person nearly every day for several months, but never been properly introduced, and so much time has lapsed that it's embarassing to ask them for their name (and you both know it), so you just nod to each other and keep going your way...or maybe not...

anyway, can somebody define "systems music" for me?

Quote Originally Posted by Johan
    Official Dissensus "what does VIP mean?" thread.

I have difficulty drawing a line between 2-step garage and broken beats -- i.e., there are some tracks that are obviously 2-step, but many others are harder to classify

What exactly is the difference, both technically and genealogically?

i.e., i know that 2-step is descended from todd edwards, etc -- but what's the origin of broken beats?

am i correct to think of broken beats as a global, cosmopolitan movement, whereas 2-step was strictly a london ting?

in fact, i'd like to know more about the people who founded both genres -- if there's such a thing as founding figures in mutational scene-driven music -- and what their previous involvement in dance music had been

(this should probably be it's own thread??? -- i.e., a simple question followed by a series of questions -- but yeah, i'm kinda preoccupied with 2-step and broken beats at the moment)
    Last edited by dominic; 07-10-2005 at 07:49 PM.

And it came into parlance due to the mailing list called IDM, so far as I know. I got on that list in 95 and subscribers were already bitching and moaning about what a shit term "IDM" was, not just for the snobbery involved in it but because heaps of what got written about was not primarily intended for dancing and has certainly not been part of a dance music scene.

On the mailing list people didn't seem too clear at first on what IDM was, but as a whole generation of producers came along who were deliberately emulating first Aphex and then Autechre IDM became much more of a genre. It's a weird one in that it is definitely a global scene of sorts now, but not really rooted in any particular location.

Having ditched the mailing list, cos I didn't particularly give a fuck anymore, I found myself still getting lots of value out of the idm-making list. Kinda surprisingly it's not full of people discussing how to rip off Autechre. One of the Shadetek guys was on it (not sure if it's the one who's Sizzle on here?) and Atomly I recognise. I think I saw Secret Agent Gel on here as well.. he's keen on writing that heavy second-gen dubstep among other things.

Ramble on.