questions you are dying to ask but are too scared to b/c of music nerd cred?

michael

Bring out the vacuum
i've never been quite sure how to pronounce vangelis?

i always thought it was van gel eese, but i'm almost certain that's wrong...

Wikipedia says /vænˈɡɛlɨs/ ... So to approximate that with English words, say "van jealous" nice and naturally, but replace the "j" with a hard "g" like in "get". That should be the right stress pattern too, i.e. the middle syllable is the loudest / longest.

Or another rough attempt: van GEH liss. Um, where "GEH" doesn't rhymes with "meh", not "gay".

michael

Bring out the vacuum
we may have talked about this before, but how do you say Ø? i say null.

Heh, I always thought of it as the vowel, like in Lindstrøm... So pronounced something like "ö", e.g. German Schönberg, Icelandic Björk.

Having a squizz on Wikipedia, it appears that letter doesn't exist in Finnish, so I guess "null" or "zero" sounds good. :)

petergunn

plywood violin
^ Haha, good call.

I see it a fair amount around towns in New Zealand, can't really imagine it has anything much to do with what was going on in the 70s in America, nor local gangs given the areas I've seen it in...

the first place i remember seeing this is across the street from my elementary school in like 1983... it really mystified me at the time...

it may have really really MEANT something once, but i don't think it has meant anything but BORED KIDS for a long while...

STN

sou'wester
Is it possible to tell the difference between Ronnie Wood and Rod Stewart without recourse to hair colour?

If I go back to my parents for my dad's birthday, should I - fo the sake of decorum - suspend my usual policy of stealing one or two of his records every time I return?

DannyL

Wild Horses
Is it possible to tell the difference between Ronnie Wood and Rod Stewart without recourse to hair colour?

If I go back to my parents for my dad's birthday, should I - fo the sake of decorum - suspend my usual policy of stealing one or two of his records every time I return?

You're making me want to not have children.

Last edited:

john eden

male pale and stale
My Dad has a load of Duane Eddy records I wouldn't mind checking out. No way would I nick them, tho.

Mr and Mrs STN senior have clearly produced a wrong 'un. :(

STN

sou'wester
Duane Eddy's rubbish.

I can't be arsed to record them - they are LPs.

I like to occasionally steal crap ones on purpose, so that I can feel that he doesn't deserve to have the good ones and to this end I have a McCoy Tyner collaboration with Carlos Santana.

If my dad found me stealing his old Hacienda stuff I think he'd actually skin me alive. I've ripped them all at 320 but christ if I had the originals?

STN

sou'wester
Alright, alright, I do leave the really rare stuff, okay?

You're all making me feel bloody awful, I might have to return them all at the weekend and start stealing John Eden's records instead (he has loads of Psychic TV LPs to help me not feel guilty about this, cf stealing from the deserving, above).

DannyL

Wild Horses
Oh yeah, I had the opportunity to teef your records. But I didn't - I actually cleaned up your cat's puke instead.