questions you are dying to ask but are too scared to b/c of music nerd cred?

STN

sou'wester
Look, his record player doesn't even work!

Yeah, Danny, you got off lightly if it was just the cat.

That Reality Control single is brilliant, you should have stolen it.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Stealing is your way of showing love and respect for his musical tastes. Or something.
My family is basically a continuous circle of mutual music theft. But we work on the unspoken rule that an item will be returned if someone really wants it back.

(Edit: A 'continuous circle' as opposed to one of those broken circles that you often see. Yeah, nice one Andy. )

Last edited:

crackerjack

I'm a tad worried that I like buying records more than I like listening to music. Very bad...

I used to be like that, but now I never buy records and get more pleasure from flogging the flotsam.

Until recently i was enjoying buying books more than reading them. But I've cured myself of that by stopping work and having no money. It's worked wonders.

How is road rap different from ordinary rap though? In my head I had the idea that it was down to attitude- 'ordinary' UK hip hoppers who resented dance music running London for a decade; and road rap being the youngers who are more streetwise and don't hate grime. Just a theory of mine though, I have no idea really

Yeah, basically Giggs and his peer group.

70-80bpm Heatmakers/D-Block inspired beats, a lot of coke and gun talk, a lot of output (in comparison to grime at least). Happy to throw up a comp if anyone cares.

pretty good stab
and yeah, it's interesting how people like king britt and carl craig picked up the sound -- maybe b/c king britt and 4hero had previous ties??? plus, the whole philly soul angle

Yep thats def true...I have seen Dego play in Philly several times...there was a techno connection with King & Josh Wink as well. I think Josh & King released a compilation called "The Deepest Shade of Techno" that included a 4 hero track (under a pseudonym that I cant remember--Nu Era maybe?)

King also remixed a house track by Soul Dharma in a broken style...not sure of the timing, but might be considered one of the first in that vein...

There was also a Masters at Work connection, with "The Nervous Track" & "Mind Fluid" & they released "Messages" by Vikter Duplaix (another philly resident). In General a lot of interest in Latin & Afro influences going around that seemed to coalesce into the West London thing (co-op, goya etc)

This is an alright 4hero track on a 4/4 tip, not sure if its the one on that CD. Nu era- Cost of living.
And a hypothetical question from me. Why did mainstream dance music never embrace Todd Edwards. I don't care whether you hate Garage, there's something in his tracks that I don't think you get in any other producers, even most of the ones who mimic his style. These tunes should have worked on a commercial level. I suspect many on Dissensus love todd. And I really see no reason why he didnt cross over into ordinary house, in the early days his tunes were the same tempo and everything. The man had history with Nervous (buy this it's some of the best stuff he ever did: http://www.discogs.com/Todd-Edwards-Nervous-Innovators-Series-Vol-45-Todd-Edwards/release/90777 ) he even did a collab with Dance Punk, one of the most successful dance groups.

So why no love. It's not as if his tunes were the most uncompromising landan garridge, they would have had more appeal than that.

STN

sou'wester
in grime, who is it who does the 'I saw your nan' bars? And where is Geneva's, in which he purports to have seen my nan, raving it up with a zoot in her hand (not bloody likely, my nan liked frank sinatra)?

viktorvaughn

in grime, who is it who does the 'I saw your nan' bars? And where is Geneva's, in which he purports to have seen my nan, raving it up with a zoot in her hand (not bloody likely, my nan liked frank sinatra)?

Think it's old skool nasty - Stormin or Nasty Jack?