questions you are dying to ask but are too scared to b/c of music nerd cred?

Papercut

cut to the bone
in grime, who is it who does the 'I saw your nan' bars? And where is Geneva's, in which he purports to have seen my nan, raving it up with a zoot in her hand (not bloody likely, my nan liked frank sinatra)?

Ah, thats too funny, whats a zoot though?

*edit* just used urban dictionary. thats pretty lame on my part.

Last edited:

DJ PIMP

Why did mainstream dance music never embrace Todd Edwards.

• His tracks often sound a bit the same
  • The vibe is kind of sweet and up but not exactly hype
  • Production quality is lo-fi in some respects and not generic enough; too unique
  • The vocals generally aren't full vocals, just snippets; the sample collage is catchy but its not riffy enough to riff or loopy enough to hook; it's just not straight-up enough for mainstream oonst
  • Likewise his track structure is kind of unusual, the way he works up a motif and then goes through variations every 16 bars or whatever it is with the same elements, rather than doing dancefloor build and drop, breakdowns etc, and last but not least...
  • Jesus vibes

But I mean he gets played all over the show right? So he is definitely a success, if not at Daft Punk or AVH level...

DJ PIMP

the shorter answer would be to download 'anyway' by duck sauce (armand and a-trak)...

the self-evident truth of a dancefloor rinser

drilla

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

despite it being this with a kick drum. still i like both

philblackpool

gamelanstep
OK, don't know if this has been covered in a thread before, but...

Why are some of the Anthill Mob records SO expensive on Discogs etc...I mean, like, sore thumb expensive! I've listened to some of it on Youtube & bought one of theirs cheap the other day & its cool & everything, but...

I only got properly into garage from 99, so maybe you had to be there or something, but I wasn't entirely ignorant before that & I still don't get it...or is there a tune off Confetti Doubles that I haven't heard yet thats just like...WOW!!?!

viktorvaughn

OK, don't know if this has been covered in a thread before, but...

Why are some of the Anthill Mob records SO expensive on Discogs etc...I mean, like, sore thumb expensive! I've listened to some of it on Youtube & bought one of theirs cheap the other day & its cool & everything, but...

I only got properly into garage from 99, so maybe you had to be there or something, but I wasn't entirely ignorant before that & I still don't get it...or is there a tune off Confetti Doubles that I haven't heard yet thats just like...WOW!!?!

Guess just record collectors innit? There are some dubstep records i own for 50£ on discogs, seems totally over the top...

Client Eastwood

Who put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp
Who put the ram in the ram-a-lam-a-ding-dong
Who put the bop in the bop-she-bop-she-bop
Who put the dip in the dip-de-dip-de-dip

:)

DannyL

Wild Horses
I woke up with that song on my internal jukebox for some reason this morning.

So Doo Wop. Some of it sounds like early ska. I can imagine something like this
being played ny the fisrt Windrush generation.

I know nothing about the music BUT I think this is one of the greatest songs ever recorded:

Sounds remarkably similar to "Rubber Biscuit" by The Chips (which I can't find a copy of - apart from the one I own HA!)

Not sure if it would have been played so much by the Windrush peeps due to accessibility issues. Would native-born Jamaicans have really sought out this music? I get the impression doo-wop never really took of in this country in the way it did in the States. I may be wrong though. I can see more similarities with the kind of New Orleans boogie-woogie R&B than with doo-wop.. Hit me up with some track titles, please.

Last edited:

sufi

lala
in grime, who is it who does the 'I saw your nan' bars? And where is Geneva's, in which he purports to have seen my nan, raving it up with a zoot in her hand (not bloody likely, my nan liked frank sinatra)?

genevas.jpg
:cool: