questions you are dying to ask but are too scared to b/c of music nerd cred?

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
For what it's worth Logan, I'd be disappointed if you weren't around any more as I'm sure a lot of other people would be too. But I don't believe in letting racism or homophobia or whatever going unchallenged so I wrote it how I saw it.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Melchior said:
For what it's worth Logan, I'd be disappointed if you weren't around any more as I'm sure a lot of other people would be too. But I don't believe in letting racism or homophobia or whatever going unchallenged so I wrote it how I saw it.

I don't know where you saw any anti-homosexual comments and/or racist ones.

sufi

lala
For what it's worth Logan, I'd be disappointed if you weren't around any more as I'm sure a lot of other people would be too
me too absolutely,
but i was genuinely surprised at your comments about 'medical' and 'unsanitory'...perhaps your a little bit on the wind-up?
or perhaps you could elaborate a little more, cos i still don't really get where your coming from tbh,
... maybe we need another thread for that: i know that some posters here have touched on the issue on blogs but those discussions seem a little abstract compared to chatting with someone who actually holds interesting opinions rather contrary to my own. :) especially about oral sex o my gosh :p

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
Logan Sama said:

I didn't see any racist comments, let's be clear on that!

And as far as anti-homosexual, see the post above.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
sufi said:
me too absolutely,
but i was genuinely surprised at your comments about 'medical' and 'unsanitory'...perhaps your a little bit on the wind-up?
or perhaps you could elaborate a little more, cos i still don't really get where your coming from tbh,
... maybe we need another thread for that: i know that some posters here have touched on the issue on blogs but those discussions seem a little abstract compared to chatting with someone who actually holds interesting opinions rather contrary to my own. :) especially about oral sex o my gosh :p

Exactly - I think Logan's comments are more mystifying to most people here than actually offensive. Especially as regards oral sex, as the man says.

xpost: 'wasteman' is easily the funniest insult of our times. Heard a kid say it with absolute seriousness in the street the other day, and i almost pissed myself. IN an unconnected incident.

bassnation

the abyss
baboon2004 said:
Exactly - I think Logan's comments are more mystifying to most people here than actually offensive. Especially as regards oral sex, as the man says.

can anyone really imagine life without oral sex? still, each to his own.

and to be fair to logan, i don't think hes said anything homophobic - sounds more like a common garden phobia about cleanliness, which is something different altogether. at least hes willing to have an open and frank discussion about attitudes that often go unspoken so credit to him for that.

gabriel

The Heatwave
mpc said:
getting back on topic, what does 'alie' actually mean?

nothing... the dancehall dancer bogle (rip) invented (or at least popularised) a bunch of empty, meaningless catchphrases before he died including 'a lie', 'out and bad', 'eeeeeeeeh' and more. given that these phrases are 'empty', it's up to the user to give them meaning and context, so they're basically completely flexible and can mean whatever the speaker/listener wants them to mean. not unlike a lot of other patois, where meanings are rarely fixed

D

droid

bassnation said:
and to be fair to logan, i don't think hes said anything homophobic - sounds more like a common garden phobia about cleanliness, which is something different altogether. at least hes willing to have an open and frank discussion about attitudes that often go unspoken so credit to him for that.

True. He seems like more of a Howard Hughes than a Buju Banton ;)

DonRuba

Stocktown man
Logan Sama said:

The reason why I think people say your comment as containing latent, maybe not self-admitted, homophobia, is because you at first talked about "having a disgust for the intimate physical acts homosexuals carry out" and then when questioned said that it was a purely medical/hygienical issue.

The criticism of the logic in this (and I haven't seen you answer this criticism directly anywhere) is that if you were only concerned with the medical/hygienical of anal (and oral) sex, then why talk about it as something exclusively done by homosexuals, and bring the question up in a discussion about homophobia? These sexual acts can be and are performed by heterosexual couples too, you know.

I'd say that's why people doubted your honesty when you said your motivation for "having a disgust for the intimate physical acts homosexuals carry out" was just that you thought this practice unhygienic.

dHarry

Logan Sama said:

The racism idea was just a comparison [homophobia=racism] - but I think these were the ones that sparked it all off, Logan:

Logan Sama said:
Is having a disgust for the intimate physical acts homosexuals carry out considered a hate crime?

Logan Sama said:
I meant do you consider having a strong dislike for the physical practises of homosexuals to be reprehensible?

...you must admit they're dodgy, even if they weren't expressing overt prejudice against gays :confused:

But I third/fourth/etc support for your contributions around here. I particularly like your one-liner style :cool: and unique insider's insight into the Grime scene - ironic, eh, given your hygiene standards ;)

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
DonRuba said:
The criticism of the logic in this (and I haven't seen you answer this criticism directly anywhere)

To be fair, Logan did address this. His argument was that the discusion was about homosexuality/dancehall etc and so that's why he mentioned gay sex specifically.

Let's see if I can find it:

Logan Sama said:
Seeing as I asked a question pertaining to the the past page of discussion regarding various people's standpoints on the homosexual lifestyle, how in the blue hell does it "betray my prejudices"?

So there you go.

3underscore

I really think people should leave logan alone, as I think it was quite clear what his belief was several pages back. Basically, the way I see it, is he responded to a particular string of comment directly, without realising that - due to a lack of clarity and bad wording - he was going to get the angry mob approach.

Quite clearly it is a practice he doesn't like for his own reasons, irrespective of the practitioner.

D

droid

gabriel said:
nothing... the dancehall dancer bogle (rip) invented (or at least popularised) a bunch of empty, meaningless catchphrases before he died including 'a lie', 'out and bad', 'eeeeeeeeh' and more. given that these phrases are 'empty', it's up to the user to give them meaning and context, so they're basically completely flexible and can mean whatever the speaker/listener wants them to mean. not unlike a lot of other patois, where meanings are rarely fixed

Nice little tribute video to Bogle here for anyone who's interested.

http://www.firestormevents.com/Video/BOGLE/Bogle_wmv.htm

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
"A lie?" is a literal, if grammatically hideous phrase. A shortened version of "Is it a lie?"

It is usually used as a quizical suffix to a statement. "I mashed up the dance, a lie?"