questions you are dying to ask but are too scared to b/c of music nerd cred?

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Of course, it could also mean "shout out to where you came from", i.e. your mother, but in practise I've learnt it's often best to leave people's mothers out of things, so I doubt it is this one.

trza

I thought that awful theatrical thing brought Abba back, but not "cool" brought them back. More like musical theater is always uncool and Mama Mia just made a lot of people remember Abba.

msoes

how did dj screw make his tapes?

I'd naively assumed that he just mixed everything pitched down - but the freestyles must be recorded at regular speed and slowed down later, and the beats from the freestyles are mixed into other records, so I guess everything is recorded at normal speed and it is only slowed down after..? Is that correct?

Given how different the music feels pitched down, its amazing the tapes hold together so well when the music must be created pitched regular.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
how did dj screw make his tapes?

I'd naively assumed that he just mixed everything pitched down - but the freestyles must be recorded at regular speed and slowed down later, and the beats from the freestyles are mixed into other records, so I guess everything is recorded at normal speed and it is only slowed down after..? Is that correct?

Given how different the music feels pitched down, its amazing the tapes hold together so well when the music must be created pitched regular.

Pitched down on turntables and mixed live with vocals, then recorded live to 4 track Tascam or even - at that point - an Amstrad, I would say. You could input the vocals and live deck mixing onto one cassette, then just turn the pitch down, and automatically start to dub it to another cassette, but with the speed on the cassette turned down, thus giving the vocals the slow quality. Essentially you were recording everything twice over, or more.

Some cassette players - especially the double deck ones, a Sony one did it too - had pitch control which slowed the tapes down to a remarkable degree. The Sony deck was slightly expensive but I found the Amstrad one dumped outside my house. It played tapes backwards too. It was wild.

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
Does it ever happen that someone asks someone else to remix their tune, but then they think that the remix is rubbish and they don't put it out?

If I was a producer and someone remixed one of my tracks and I didn't really like it I think I'd release it anyway so as not to hurt their feelings

Leo

Does it ever happen that someone asks someone else to remix their tune, but then they think that the remix is rubbish and they don't put it out?

If I was a producer and someone remixed one of my tracks and I didn't really like it I think I'd release it anyway so as not to hurt their feelings

i've thought about this too, especially if an artist gets one of their heroes to agree to do a remix. i'd guess it's probably difficult to tell theo parrish or carl craig you're not going to include his mix because it's crap! plus, their name on a record probably helps it get reviewed and sell.

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
Dave Gahan hated the Villalobos remix if I remember correctly but EMI had control of the Mute catalogue then so they didn't have much say in the matter. That has been rectified since I think

Last edited:

trza

If the remix is crap they will put a big producer or dj name on it and everyone will say its good.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
I'm pretty sure I recently heard a tune - I think vaguely post-punk / post-rock / post-hardcore / post-something - that included someone reading part or all of JG Ballard's The Assassination of James Fitzgerald Kennedy Considered as a Downhill Motor Race. But I've got no idea what it was. Can anyone help?

rubberdingyrapids

i think there is a lot of overlap, but also a lot of difference in the production.

eg lil jon's tracks

()

to songs like like rick ross' BMF or new bugatti.

trap beats are much more rigidly structured.

Last edited:

rubberdingyrapids

flockaveli was neo crunk in terms of the rapping but trap in terms of the production. i think people get it mixed up cos the first 'trapstars' were TI and jeezy and they came out the same time as lil jon and scrappy and crime mob etc. but yeah the styles are quite different. im actually hoping something will come and replace trap cos im kinda tired of the big lumbering stiffness of the beats now. when beck has just done a song with trap beats, surely it is time for a change.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Yeah, although there's definite similarities crunk isn't quite the same thing. For starters, crunk music is usually about getting drunk and partying, whereas Trap is about drug dealing. Crunk beats are different too, the most obvious difference for me being the lack of those distinctive rolling hi-hats in crunk when compared to trap.

Trap seems to be derived from Three 6 Mafia/memphis music, with that same emphasis on sinister, almost gothic, atmospherics, whereas Crunk is almost like Miami Bass, with those big, bright synth riffs, etc.

But like rdr says there's definitely overlap and you can no doubt pull up some crunk tracks which sound like trap.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a tempo difference. Crunk seems faster.

Last edited: