questions you are dying to ask but are too scared to b/c of music nerd cred?

forclosure

I mean i suppose you could call me that although the associations with that term leave a bad taste in my mouth

yeah man tripped for the first time not too long ago

CrowleyHead

Trilliam was making fun of him b/c he doesn't regularly smoke or drink afaik.

Web's a good soul. Noble truths. 8fold path and all that there.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
i'm listening to an arabic song and the lyrics are as written down below. very often, my arabic, turkish or greek friends send me songs like this and sometimes they ask me to send them back songs similar as those but from the netherlands. well they don't exist but i don't know why they don't exist? why are there no songs about birds waiting by the window from holland? or from the uk, france, or whatever?

A bird stood at my window. And said "Oh, little one.
Hide me with you, I beg you."
I said, "Where are you from?", "From the limits of the sky," he said.
I said "Where did you come from?", "From the neighbor's house" he answered.
I said, "What are you afraid of?", "I escaped from the cage", he said
I said "What are your feathers?", "Fate took care of them," he said.

A tear fell on his cheek. His wings tucked underneath him,
He landed on the ground and said, "I want to walk, but I can't."
I held him to my heart, hurting from his wounds
Before he finally broke out of his jail, he broke his voice and his wings

I said, "Do not fear, see the sun rising?"
He looked toward the forest, saw the tides of freedom glitter,
He saw wings flutter beyond the high gates.
He saw the forest flying. On the wings of freedom.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
where do i get started with Azymuth? i don't want any Brazillian hotel vibes strictly the grinding funk that Miles Davis was getting it onto when he talks about all them Brazillian birds around 74 in his autobiography.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
hey im allowed to live fantasies of elegance to raise the ire of some on this forum. but the elegance still has to have a bit of london tension somehow. I can't all be 1998 bukem!

DLaurent

This is more something I've learned recently than a question, listening to jazz, this thing Michael Brecker does on saxomophone.

Apparently you get overtones by blowing twice as hard to produce the additional note.

MatthewH

makes strange noises.
The decent shows.

Very practical kind of shame here, and I'm also outing myself as being old as the hills:

I just moved back to London after a 17 year absence and I'm having trouble finding good shows/dj nights. There aren't flyers/posters on the same scale, Time Out is even less useful than it was, pirate radio less of a factor, and obv a lot of venues and scenes have come and gone in the mean time.

Is it all FB/IG these days? As in, following your fave promoters/venues? And I guess Resident Advisor?

Dice seems only intermittently decent, tho maybe it improves the more you use it?

I should add it's smaller electronic shows I seem to be missing, tho also decent bands.

Everything is resident advisor for ticketed nights now really. Dice is okay

But if you want, you can look up keep hush, & lockoffevents on twitter, they do free nights for YouTube (just stand at the back of the front of the room to stay away from the cameras), generally midweek nights but would allow you to try out some new venues without paying...

I run a night there so I'm biased (August 30th is the next one, shameless plug) but I think corsica is still the most consistently good venue. There are a few clubs popping up in South London at the moment tho

MatthewH

makes strange noises.
Nice - good suggestions there, slackk.

Truth be told, tho, it's going to take a lot to get me to go out regularly in South London. Old habits die hard.

Away from South London look at places like Five Miles, Pickle Factory, Grow Tottenham. There are a few good ones like that

MatthewH

makes strange noises.
Forgot to mention but these are great. Walked by Grow and Five Miles the other day and, despite that immediate area being hideous in many ways, the venues look promising.