The Oil Age

dominic

Beast of Burden
blissblogger said:
i think it was dominic who posted already about this article -- The exhaustion of our energy supply may end affluence as we know it. by James Howard Kunstler in The American Conservative
http://www.amconmag.com/2005/2005_09_12/cover.html

pearsall posted the article

blissblogger said:
it's all about the collapse of everything we've got used that's based around cheap fuel -- from suburbanization and growth of malls and out of town retail outlets (a really big thing in the USA)

even more distressing for americans, such development (malls, suburbs, retail outlets) has been the engine of the american economy (it ain't export led!!! )-- i.e., so when this all becomes impractical, then america will have to go through a very painful phase of adjustment -- i.e., unless it could prove just as "productive" (gdp) to rebuild the city centers, though such rebuilding will have to be fueled by something other than oil

so america will have to cope both with energy crisis and a seriously uncompetitive economy (no manufacturing base, and in the future no money -- after dollar collapse -- to import necessary supplies and good)

though perhaps global trade will be a memory by this point anyway, especially if america repudiates its debt obligations

Ness Rowlah said:
A report in the Sunday Times today ("Waiting for the lights to go out").

Also an interesting bit on Norwegian news on my sat dish yesterday - we are spending a few million quid on a reasearch project with the Uni of Minnesota researching plant extracts as fuel. In the current (US?) fuel market the price difference is very small (a dollar was mentioned, I think for a barrel and it was in plant oils favour).

Might it not be possible to grow oil bearing plant matter on a massive scale in lagoons or in the sea (a shallow, sun-bathed sea like the Gulf of Mexico)? This would sequestrate more carbon in a given area than land cultivation alone. It would also regulate the surface temperature of the sea, which in turn could dampen hurricane formation. It's a wild speculation, but we could turn sunlight into fuel with oleagenous, seaborne drift-gunk and harvest oil at source (without the boring 100-million year burial bit).

Last edited:

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
HMGovt said:
Might it not be possible to grow oil bearing plant matter on a massive scale in lagoons or in the sea (a shallow, sun-bathed sea like the Gulf of Mexico)? This would sequestrate more carbon in a given area than land cultivation alone. It would also regulate the surface temperature of the sea, which in turn could dampen hurricane formation. It's a wild speculation, but we could turn sunlight into fuel with oleagenous, seaborne drift-gunk and harvest oil at source (without the boring 100-million year burial bit).

not only the that - that green bio-slush will probably also slow down an incoming hurricane (sucking up some serious energy), plus the oil infrastructure is already there (pipes, refineries etc) so it would be easier to get the whole thing started. Even if the idea might not work - it seems like a bloody good backdrop for a S/F movie.

dissensus - solving the worlds problems :rolleyes:

zhao

there are no accidents
Ness Rowlah said:
my homecountry (Norway) will once again be a likely "priced assett" for the worlds superpowers -
we have oil, water, gas, hydro power, clean air (but a crap climate, that might change as well within the next 50 years).

it's the climate bit that worries me about a place like Norway... when the polar caps melt everything that up north is a goner in seconds...

luka

i dont know what youre getting that but i have that text on my phone you were very enthused at the bumhole fingering possibilities

catalog

I'm with Shell as it goes, bill has doubled, I have to do a meter read this week as well. And they keep trying to force a smart meter on us.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
We saved on smart meters over 12 months, easier tracking. The price hikes currently, in any other period there’d be rioting but Covid fatigue and rights of assembly provide all the legal cover any British police force can deploy with immediate effect

The longer this continues the deeper the rot. Country feels fucking Victorian more and more, hemmed in, fragmentary, with a new foundation of acute stress

catalog

Not much in the way of a commons nowadays, physical or otherwise.

You feel like this Shell energy profits news is just another expertly timed piece of click bait news to deeply frustrate people a bit more.

Something to talk about for a couple of posts or in between pork scratchings.