those hairshirt -wearin' Dissensians

joeschmo

<i>-- could someone present an argument so powerful that it dissuaded me out of my own enjoyment of a record, the example given being 'renegade snares'</i>

I have to confess to finding Renegade Snares rather <i>brittle</i> these days. Now that the initial wonderment of the drum programming has worn off, what I hear is a clever bit of technical skill that reveals itself to be rather threadbare through repetition. Because the beats are so fiddly, I don't really get the basic rhythmic pleasure that repetition usually provides. Instead, I feel weariness as those annoying little curlicues, which sound so fussily pleased with themselves, come around yet again, exactly the same as before. And if you're not enjoying the drums, all you have is a really rather trite piano loop--not Satiesque, no, Satie was never this chirpy, and the drums don't give the piano any room to echo, the way Satie's melodies do--a series of synth wooshes, and some anonymous factory-issue diva vocals. It's not <i>bad</i>, it's quite technically advanced for the time and all that, but I feel that being technically advanced for the time is sort of an inherent limitation on its power. I find I can't really get through most of Omni Trio's first album anymore, and I used to love it.

PS And I have been persuaded by a critic, countless times, that a record was much better or worse than I had previously given it credit for! It's not that hard. If you haven't, I don't know how you could want to be a critic, or a writer of some sort, yourself.

Last edited:

k-punk

Spectres of Mark
Strawman watch #1

By now, in fact, I feel duty-bound to do what popists always do in this situation and scream 'straw man'... just who are the Dissensian Nu-rockists?

(Surely it couldn't be ME could it, since I've been described by a certain person now banned hereabouts as the 'most popist popist' they know :) )

(I plead guilty to Kyliephobia, but my fulminations against her have always been careful to distinguish between the music, which I can take or leave, and Kylie's pathetic sex doll persona, which I will always most definitely LEAVE)

Strawman watch #2

This objectivity thing... Who, apart from Ben Watson, would subscribe to this doctrine as described by Tim? (For anyone who hasn't seen it, btw, Watson's piece on Rip It Up in Radical Philosophy is a glorious display of a whole new kind of ad hominem fallacy... an attack on the man (Simon) for not being Watson...) A 'radical' political position would not necessarily line up with 'objectivity' in any case - take Badiou, who argues that it is 'subjectivation' that is at issue... events produce subjectivities ... objectivity is not sought, almost the opposite, it is partisanship...

Tim caricatures the nu-rocksit position as follows: 'It is only other people, the people who have allegedly got it all wrong, who ever find their reactions out of step with historical necessity.' But the complementary affectation of popism is to pretend that there is no distinction between them and 'ordinary' people (i.e. the big Other), nor between their analysis and reaction. That's why Simon was right a while ago to describe Popism as self-cornering; it seems to want to abolish the position of analysis as such, in a bid to get to a 'pure' reaction.

Many of my problems with this come down to the a dissatisfaction with formalism but also an inability to recognize how pop can be consumed in the way that is demanded: ironically, such an account bears almost no relationship to my experience of pop, which is never 'just' of music. When studying literature, I always found practical criticism (the idea that you can analyse the text in itself, without reference to 'external' factors), terribly limiting and almost impossible to achieve. It has always seems to me that it is Tim's position, rather than mine which is austere, puritanical and, in many ways, unattainable. If I had to just concentrate on what is 'there' in the novel/film/record in front of me, not only would I find very little to even perceive, I would feel that I was massively denying myself. As Simon indicated above, it is a puritanism of hedonism, but a puritanism nonetheless: 'a kind of moralism of pleasure -- in other words, the essence of popism is that it brooks no laws or prohibitions EXCEPT thou shalt never deny yourself any pleasure. no principle , or set of ideas, could possibly be worth denying yourself a specific source of enjoyment'. But of course it is impossible to set aside all 'preconceptions', ideas, x-trinsic factors and just encounter the music in the raw, as this version of popism seems to want. What would this be like? An encounter with abstract sounds divorced from any context? Strip away all 'context' and there is no experience at all, only an unassimilable schizo flux... (which of course would not be without interest :) )

Tim asks: what role would music play at all in a theoretical position which privileged convictions over reactions. I'll answer that, initially, by asking a complementary question: is it really possible to enjoy music UNLESS it connects up with convictions, life projects, affects, etc? In my case, and I doubt I'm alone in this, those x factors are not some extra thing but a precondition for enjoyment.

I think in the end Tim's position still rests on an equivocation between enjoyment in the broadest sense (enjoyment of analysis, etc ) and the narrow sense of enjoyment of 'music itself'. Just because any analysis of pop involves enjoyment (a trivial point, since all activity will involve enjoyment of some kind) does not mean that it can be reduced to enjoyment in that restricted sense.

I think the danger in this discussion lies in being drawn into a formalist/ aestheticist/ empiricist trap. The empiricist trap is sprung as soon as one tries to answer: where is this emancipatory potential in this music? All I can hear, says the empiricist, is some vocals, some bass, a melody etc. Where is the emancipatory potential in that? But of course it is not to be found in the 'impressions' (sensory experiences) at all... but then, almost nothing is. The emancipation comes from how the music fits into an overall life project, how recalcitrant or not certain pieces of music are to the aims of that project.

Tim F

Yes, I <i>have</i> been constructing a strawman nu-rockist because i wanted you guys to differentiate yourselves from it! My position all along has been that none of you are actually nu-rockists (hence me saying that you don't take your own anti-enjoyment crusade seriously); you're all too smart for that.

By the same token (and this is a familiar argument I know) none of the supposed popists are actually popists of the dissensian definition - e.g. to choose one example that Simon raises, while we might celebrate an "instant thrill" of a record, it is not on the grounds that it is a simple pleasure, but rather on the grounds that the temporal nature of enjoyment does not provide a yardstick for measuring its intensity or complexity. For myself, a short-lived crush on a single can be as important as a long-cherished relationship with an artist's ouevre but, of course, the reverse is also true.

I really don't think that, in truth, our final positions are that far away from eachother.

Simon says:

"well i don't think that was , or ever is, my goal, partly because it's impossible (people are very attached to their own enjoyment, it's a visceral thing) and partly because it would be bad manners. but certainly i was arguing against the significance wrapped around that particular object of enjoyment, saying that as a package it didn't really add up. there might well be a significance to the enjoyment in itself but i've not seen anyone elucidate that successfully. "

A perfectly reasonable argument. I think a quite valid point to make is that simply saying "it's fun, you can dance to it" is not a very convincing argument. But that's an entirely different argument to saying that <i>liking</i> the music because it's fun and danceable is an invalid response arising from a warped musical philosophy. Again, I don't really believe that you were arguing the latter, but I've been trying to get a definitive answer because to me the second reaction is rockism quid pro quo.

"it's theoretically possible -- not that the enjoyment would disappear, obviously, but that you could be convinced it was unworthy or trivial. i can't think of any examples where that's happened to me. the closest in recent memory would be ian penman's review of Radiohead in the Wire where he momentarily convinced me that the record had no claims to radicalism (in ways similar to mud hut lady argument actually, that all the good things about Kid A/Amnesiac could be found elsewhere, in their purer, more original source)."

This sort of thing happens to me all the time, and I think it's a positive thing. Of course the obvious next step once the seed of doubt has been introduced is to listen to the album again and see if your reaction changes, or if it still sounds radical. I tend to think that we then decide whether to accept the argument again on that basis.

"obviously criticism isn't a science. on the other hand objectivity might be a useful myth, a noble aspiration, tending to promote rigour and scrupulousness. furthermore it's hard for me to imagine someone embarking on a piece of writing AT ALL if they didn't think their words had some purchase on a truth that extends beyond their own reactions, sensorium, brain. i suppose the most productive approach, for me anyway, would be to embark in a kind of objective spirit, while remaining aware of the perspectivalism of everything and every so often situating yourself."

Simon, I have no problem with this at all. In fact it's very similar to what I posted on the Subjectivity thread. I guess i just can't eliminate the taint of foundationalism which rockism carries for me, and it seems counter-productive to assert it as a critical tenant when it arrives with so much baggage of idiotic thinking. I have no problems with objecting to an artist based on their persona, their interviews etc. (as I've said before, I have no problems with your <i>actual position</i> on M.I.A., merely with the idea that there was no other position one could take that was not self-deceiving).

Generally speaking I have no problems at all with your current criticism (which still provides me with a handy weathervane for my own tastes); what occasionally confuses me is your meta-criticism.

Mark:

Am I austere and puritannical? Perhaps as a writer, yes. I feel a sense of responsibility to articulate myself as precisely as possible, whether it be my reactions or convictions, and this can make my writing very wearying and stodgy to read. As a listener I don't really think I am; I feel no sense of obligation to my enjoyment <i>except</i> when I choose to write about it, which is when the above factors kick in. But then, for me, I think popism and rockism and etc. don't really begin until we start <i>talking</i> (or writing) about records, engaging with other people. These approaches are, after all, not so much about how and when we should be allowed to listen to music in certain ways (which can't really be verified/legislated etc.) but how we can speak about music in a way that deserves to be taken seriously.

"But the complementary affectation of popism is to pretend that there is no distinction between them and 'ordinary' people (i.e. the big Other), nor between their analysis and reaction. That's why Simon was right a while ago to describe Popism as self-cornering; it seems to want to abolish the position of analysis as such, in a bid to get to a 'pure' reaction. "

I just don't think this is true. I think popism, if it exists in any sense <i>beyond</i> being a strawman (and maybe it doesn't), wants to start from the assumption that reactions are never pure, and that therefore we have no <i>a priori</i> better access to the truth of a record than "the ordinary person". This doesn't mean that we should adopt an anti-analysis position in order to imitate the ordinary person; rather, if what we want to do <i>is</i> think about music, it should spur us on to think <i>harder</i>. If all reactions have the potential to be equal, then the weight falls more heavily on the analysis to demonstrate why the writer's opinion should be taken seriously. i.e. the point is that if you had an intense experience at an avant-garde live concert, just saying as much doesn't alone demonstrate a greater insight into music than the manager in the pub listening to Kylie. Nor does using big words or quoting a theorist automatically confer this epistemological privilege (it might make your argument a better one, it might make it worse, it might have zero impact). Nor does being published in a certain publication. In sum: the superiority of your position is never guaranteed by a big Other who can tell the difference between you and an "ordinary person".

The problem with rockism is not that it's impure, but that it holds out certain notions as being self-evident when they are not, and seeks to arrest the flow of meaning so that <i>the thinking stops</i>. To the extent that I do believe in some "purity", it is in that I believe that every piece of music and every reaction (or combination of conviction & reaction if you prefer) is its own beast, and we shouldn't assume that our limited category of ideas-about-music exhausts the insight that is potentially available to us. Again, it's about trying to prevent the thinking from stopping.

Without wanting to sound all theorist insidery <i>and</i> horrendously conceited, Mark have you read any Ernesto Laclau (I would assume you have)? I think his approach to the nature of politics is quite similar to where I'm coming from on this. Mind you I could imagine you don't like him.

"Tim asks: what role would music play at all in a theoretical position which privileged convictions over reactions. I'll answer that, initially, by asking a complementary question: is it really possible to enjoy music UNLESS it connects up with convictions, life projects, affects, etc? In my case, and I doubt I'm alone in this, those x factors are not some extra thing but a precondition for enjoyment. "

I may not have been clear but my position was quite different to this. It was that convictions cannot exist <i>independently</i> of reactions. I was trying to imagine what music criticism would be like which didn't at least acknowledge that reactions shape our convictions as much as the reverse. I would never say that one should limit oneself to only concentrating on reactions; merely that convictions do not arise in a vacuum any more than reactions do, and therefore "taint" of individual enjoyment creeps into any writer's work whether they care to admit to it or not.

blissblogger

joeschmo said:
<i>--I have to confess to finding Renegade Snares rather <i>brittle</i> these days. Now that the initial wonderment of the drum programming has worn off, what I hear is a clever bit of technical skill that reveals itself to be rather threadbare through repetition. ... <i>bad</i>, .

BLASPHEMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[shoves fingers in ears, sings "land of hope and glory" very loud to drown out the voice of doubt]

blissblogger

k-punk said:
Strawman watch #1

By now, in fact, I feel duty-bound to do what popists always do in this situation and scream 'straw man'... just who are the Dissensian Nu-rockists?

(.

erm... well... there's me actually. that's probably about it.

blissblogger

oh dear i can't find anything to disagree with in tim's last post!

looks like we are heading into the diminuendo phase of amiability

tim's writing often is very close to a redescription of pleasure but i always feel like hovering above or behind or even somehow inside all the finely focused attention to texture, rhythm, and elements of delectability, the tracking of sub-generic shifts, etc is a sense of an implied meta-narrative--maybe just through the sheer fastidiousness of analysis you get the feeling this is all on behalf of a music that is Going Somewhere, mutating, subdividing, going through interesting and crucial changes...

Tim F

Simon I'm not surprised the distance between us isn't as huge as perhaps it appeared: I am far too derivative of you for such a gulf to really be possible!

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Completely tangentially, whenever I think about the name "Renegade Snares" I end up laughing.. it's just such a funny mix of bad boy vibes and producer nerdiness. "Look out! The drums are out of control! They're rebels without a cause!" The sentiment seems so silly.. yet obviously pretty apt for those rinse-outs. Sorta science fiction or something..

Um, all in the best way, I mean. :)

I was thinking as I was reading that it would be hard to say how convictions lead a listener to have a preference regarding eg. the original or the Foul Play mix of this tune. I like the idea of a bit of a feedback loop... or at least an acknowledgement of masses of complexity here - convictions being one of many factors, other experiential ones being a lot easier to talk about than something so conscious as your convictions.

How often do you hear someone say they didn't like something til they heard it on a big system, or after they got a bit boozed or pilled up or stoned or whatever? Or jumped around a room with their very best friend, whose opinion means the world, and who they know loves the track?

Woebot

Noah Baby Food said:
Christ. Can I have some "grime spam", please?

Part of me finds interjections like this funny. Its kind of like the relationship between the arch-communist theorists and the rabble, and in that sense these kind of remarks don't actually impinge the flow of the discourse. They can even pepper it up, especially as their moronic qualities are suitably lumpen and nicely shade the hair-shirt accusations the board is fielding...

But *really* it's probably better that if people find a thread goes over their head, or they dont have the stomach for it dont comment.

Woebot

Tim F said:
Simon I'm not surprised the distance between us isn't as huge as perhaps it appeared: I am far too derivative of you for such a gulf to really be possible!

alright break it up you two! ;)

put that football down and get back in the trenches!

Noah Baby Food

WOEBOT...just a bit of humour mate...no disrespect meant... I'm not thick, it's not going over my head, just a lil' interjection. I draw your attention to a post I made months ago:

"Where was I?..oh yes...As I was saying, I feel the semiotic qualities of Danny Weed's work in a way harken back to Musique Concrete and the early work of Cage or Stockhausen. Perhaps the polyrhythms are subconsciously taking us to a near-mythical world, where the revolutionary qualities of European Modernism were still untainted by commercial expectation. Hang on, my mum's on the phone."

i like being called rabble!

blissblogger

Man 1 and Man 2 enter a greasy spoon

Man 1: "What you got then?"

Dinner lady: "We've got egg, bacon, sausage, and grime-spam. Sausage fried bread mushrooms and grime-spam. Grime-spam, egg, fried tomatoe, grime-spam and grime-spam. Egg, bacon, sausage, fried bread, tomato, mushrooms, and grime-spam. Grime-spam grime-spam grime-spam grime-spam grime-spam grime-spam grime-spam fried egg and grime-spam."

Man 1: "Haven't you got anything without grime-spam in it?"

Dinner Lady: "Well you could have Sausage fried bread mushrooms and grime-spam--that's not got much grime-spam in it."

Man 2: "I'm 'avin' grime-spam grime-spam grime-spam grime-spam grime-spam grime-spam grime-spam fried egg and grime-spam. I love it"

[sketch continues in this vein, Vikings singing 'lovely grime spam' etc...]

blissblogger

a variant on tim's original scenario: can you imagine a piece of music or genre that your theories tell you is significant/etc but you don't actually enjoy -- yet still felt theoretically compelled to write about?

It's hard for me personally to imagine doing that, but people do that all the time -- academics. Or at least, their enjoyment or lack of it is irrelevant to what they do. Enjoyment might even get in the way, colour their interpretations. Hence books like Sarah Thornton's Club Cultures, a useful and interesting study of dance subcultures which betrays not a trace of warmth or attraction towards the music.

One example of this syndrome that does kinda apply to me is metal. Little of contemporary metal gives me enjoyment but clearly it's a very significant phenomenon, sociologically. It means a lot to the kids who are into it, and it just will not go away, it survives the coming and going of fashions,is deeply entrenched and abiding. I'm not talking about the stuff that the Wire is all up into now, abstract avant-metal etc, so much as the spectrum from Terrorizer type stuff to nu-metal. So long as I don't have to listen to it, there's plenty of things that seem really interesting and even admirable about it --the seriousness and commitment of the fans, the musicians' belief in progression, the content-laden nature of songs, the darkness and angst of the emotions. In a way it's all in the continuum of prog/postpunk/etc. when i interviewed tony wilson in 2002, he actually said that the only music he liked that was current (this was before his grime epiphany) was System of A Down and similar things, which struck me as striking. Metal also seems to be where a lot of Goth ideas have wound up. There's a group who are big on MTV 2 at the moment (and who i do enjoy quite a bit) called Avenged Sevenfold who are like a mash-up of Alien Sex Fiend, Guns N'Roses, Queen and Queens of the Stone Age. Then they have this vocals-only breakdown that's like Radiohead circa Kid A. That's a playful example of Goth-into-metal but more common in inadvertantly comical overstated we're-so-dark.

But anyway, exceptions like Avenged Sevenfold aside, you could say i have the stirrings of an academic interest in the metal, shall we say, continuum--'academic' in the literal, non-pejorative sense. i've yet to do my research though, and that would be work not play.

Actually, it's not just academics who examine things in a non-hedonic manner. That's also what reporters do. If a story's newsworthy, the pleasure or aversion of the reporter is strictly irrelevant. A reporter ought to have been able to write a good story on rave when it first broke, or any major music subculture, without necessarily enjoying the music. You get the fans to testify to what the appeal is.

But as Frank Kogan said, being a critic is actually different from being a journalist.

k-punk

Spectres of Mark
blissblogger said:
Man 1 and Man 2 enter a greasy spoon

Man 1: "What you got then?"

Dinner lady: "We've got egg, bacon, sausage, and grime-spam. Sausage fried bread mushrooms and grime-spam. Grime-spam, egg, fried tomatoe, grime-spam and grime-spam. Egg, bacon, sausage, fried bread, tomato, mushrooms, and grime-spam. Grime-spam grime-spam grime-spam grime-spam grime-spam grime-spam grime-spam fried egg and grime-spam."

Man 1: "Haven't you got anything without grime-spam in it?"

Dinner Lady: "Well you could have Sausage fried bread mushrooms and grime-spam--that's not got much grime-spam in it."

Man 2: "I'm 'avin' grime-spam grime-spam grime-spam grime-spam grime-spam grime-spam grime-spam fried egg and grime-spam. I love it"

[sketch continues in this vein, Vikings singing 'lovely grime spam' etc...]

ROTFL

(surely calls for grime rmx of the spam song)

k-punk

Spectres of Mark
Tim F said:

You're not admitting to being one of Reynolds' Lickspittles are you? That's what we all are at Dissensus, according to A Certain Person, don't you know...

Tim F

"You're not admitting to being one of Reynolds' Lickspittles are you? That's what we all are at Dissensus, according to A Certain Person, don't you know..."

A Certain Person has a flair for controversy. My suspicion (stolen from somone in a more forgiving mood on an ILM thread) is that Dissensus has yet to expand to the point where you, Simon and Matt no longer exert a substantial influence over its collective sense of identity. ILM went through those growth pains probably in late '01/early '02 (before which I guess it was possible to say that the board was characterised by people swapping Reynolds' and Ewing's spit), and I imagine Dissensus will follow suit at some stage. The fact that both boards emerged from blogs is probably a big factor in why the transition takes so long.

Obviously both the before and after states have their advantages and pitfalls. I think the biggest pitfall in the before stage is that certain arguments will tend to be simply accepted without real questioning - or, where someone disagrees, they articulate their disagreement as being a sign that <i>they are outside</i> the debate, rather than trying to weigh in and send the debate in another direction (hence the "you guys think too much, shame on you"/"maybe this message board isn't for you?" exhanges).

ILM may still appear to some of you as some ant's hive of popism, and if you focus solely on the contributions of certain posters this can almost be made out, but in truth all the central tenants of such a faith are constantly subject to challenge - the rockism threads are endless for the precise reason that half the contributors would proudly call themselves rockist, and over the years they have brought up any number of valid arguments which has meant that anti-rockists have had to <i>think harder</i> in order to win the argument. I think if I (over)react to some of the central arguments put forward on Dissensus, it's due to a desire to see people <i>make their case</i> in the same fashion, to take on board the dissenting opinions offered and to refine their argument in the process. This will happen, but it needs the <i>dissent</i> to be of a sufficiently high calibre, which in turn requires that dissenters feel a level of ownership over the board such that they can really engage in the arguments.

D84

blissblogger said:
One example of this syndrome that does kinda apply to me is metal. Little of contemporary metal gives me enjoyment but clearly it's a very significant phenomenon, sociologically. It means a lot to the kids who are into it, and it just will not go away, it survives the coming and going of fashions,is deeply entrenched and abiding. I'm not talking about the stuff that the Wire is all up into now, abstract avant-metal etc, so much as the spectrum from Terrorizer type stuff to nu-metal. So long as I don't have to listen to it
Go on, listen to it. Not only would you be able to reply to smart-arses "yes, I have actually heard the album" but you might also enjoy some of it as well.

I have add that I'm starting to notice a lot of "ironic" metal CDs around and a lot of the Vice kids/clones are wearing 80s metal fashion as well as 80s pop fashion...

Some bloke recently said to me that he was "only into ironic electro". Needless to say I immediately laughed in his face (in the nicest possible way).

blissblogger said:
In a way it's all in the continuum of prog/postpunk/etc..
Yes! I've been saying this to people for years...

blissblogger said:
But anyway, exceptions like Avenged Sevenfold aside, you could say i have the stirrings of an academic interest in the metal, shall we say, continuum--'academic' in the literal, non-pejorative sense. i've yet to do my research though, and that would be work not play.
Well, my BA degree was possible one of the most tiresome things I dragged myself through but the subsequent enjoyment I've taken from it has been huge. You never know what you'll learn - which is the beauty of embarking on new territory, travelling the paths less travelled, leaving the comforts of home, etc etc

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
k-punk said:
(Surely it couldn't be ME could it, since I've been described by a certain person now banned hereabouts as the 'most popist popist' they know :) )
You're a papist Popist? I'd have thought you were more an ardkore presbyterian popist, with none of this guilty roman indulgence.

I'll get my coat.

francesco

Minerva Estassi
D84 said:
Go on, listen to it. Not only would you be able to reply to smart-arses "yes, I have actually heard the album" but you might also enjoy some of it as well.

I have add that I'm starting to notice a lot of "ironic" metal CDs around and a lot of the Vice kids/clones are wearing 80s metal fashion as well as 80s pop fashion...

I remember sending with a bunch of cd-rom to blissblogger a compilation that i have done with some best/worst of norvegian black metal.... :eek:

avoid consciounsly "ironic" metal, it's the worst thing on the universe and has no irony at all. while "inconsciously ridicule" metal can be awesome, like prog, you can laught at it's stupidity... :p