best building in london?

• Thread starter simon silverdollar
  • Start date

e/y

re. the Isokon building mentioned earlier in the thread...love it. I want to live there.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I love the Cruciform Building at UCL (formerly the main UCH building):

ucl_cruciform.jpg

A proper chunk of late-Victorian red brick gothic weirdness. Shame I can't find a good photo of it at night - it's all lit up from underneath and looks like something from Gotham City.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Agreed re Cruciform Building.

Just down the road (sort of), the Russell Square Hotel is one of the most amazing buildings int he world, let alone London.

luka

i think i was born there tea. im a uch child although i sometimes claim to have been born at forest gate.

hucks

Your Message Here
This is a great thread. So many dud links, though. I thought the internet would last for ever?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The royal courts of justice are fun

They're great, aren't they? They look like Hogwarts or Gormenghast. That high Victorian Gothic revival more-mediaeval-than-the-Middle-Ages aesthetic. Buildings that actually date from like 1400 are almost a letdown in comparison.

luka

Only thing on England to compare, that I can think of, is Brighton pavilion although that's part mughal empire too

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I love the sheer vulgar gleeful OTT-ness of St Pancras Station. Also the fact that, at heart, it's a building with a completely utilitarian and commercial purpose - nothing to do with the monarchy or aristocracy, the government or the church like most of our other grand buildings - just a train station with a hotel on top.