fave grime catchphrases

stelfox

Beast of Burden
i'm thinking more along the lines of just catchphrases, vocal flourishes, lyrical trademarks (one of the real big links between grime and dancehall, incidentally)...

Blackdown

nexKeysound
it's not catchphrases but i like all the incidental things MCs say between bars.

ie...

‘dat’s you’
‘quick ting … nothing long’
‘dun the roads’
‘all day, every day’
‘don’t dis me like dat’
‘it’s not dem way der’
‘don’t watch face’
‘not dat’

tom pr

'Get air' is number one and the best, especially when related to private callers. and 'wasteman', obviously.

Jezmi

Olli Oliver Steichelsmein
Antight da crew, I think Rapid of the Ruff sqwad says that a lot. Best big up phrase in my book.

DonRuba

Stocktown man
I don't think most of the things mentioned so far are real catchphrases, at least not in the sense I mean. A catchphrase should be something specific to one MC. It doesn't have to be a unique phrase, sometimes it can just be the way it's pronounced. Jammer's "Neckle" is an example of a catchphrase. D Double E's "Uuh-uhh" and "It's me" (the way he pronounces it, like "It's muuye") are other examples.

There are loads of them, but right now I can't come up with any...

In dancehall it has been almost compulsory to have one as an up and coming artist. Like Red Rat's "Ooh noo", Elephant Man's "Corny niggaz" and "They should now" in the beginning of his career, and later "Fo shizzle" and "Yep! Good to go" and Vybez Kartel's "Up to di time"

Many of the Youngers have good ones, like Royal. I don't know what he says, but it sounds cool. It sounds something like "Geniate-ate" Anybody knows what the heck he's saying?

mpc

wasteman
'pon ya soul' - ribs

'pass me the leng' - jammer

'nah, but differently...' - wiley and other roll deep members

petergunn

plywood violin
DonRuba said:
In dancehall it has been almost compulsory to have one as an up and coming artist. Like Red Rat's "Ooh noo", Elephant Man's "Corny niggaz" and "They should now" in the beginning of his career, and later "Fo shizzle" and "Yep! Good to go" and Vybez Kartel's "Up to di time"

/QUOTE]

oh, this is more fun with dancehall...

bounty killer- "lord have mercy"