either/or versus plus/and

Tim F

Confucius, whose use of the terms are you critiquing there? Because when I say 'ardkore strikes me as "plus and" it is precisely in the sense that you mean (this music works as "mindless" populist music and as "avant" music) as well as in the sense of the tracks being overstuffed with different, sometimes contradictory-seeming sonic details.

Of course it's occasionally difficult to separate the meanings, because in practice people associate social eclecticism with sonic eclecticism (i.e. they think the way to appeal to two audiences is indeed simply to have sonic elements from two styles jammed together). Conversely, stylistic purism often presents itself in conjunction with a progressive paring back of a sound.

I'm trying to think of an example of a sound that is/was at once busy and self-consciously purist, and it's hard to think of one, perhaps because the moment of maximalism is always a moment of confidence vis a vis other genres: while being dedicated to a vision of what yr genre is, you're not scared of engaging with other genres and taking on what they have to offer if it works.

e.g. 'ardkore and 2-step were both frequently maximalist but not really in a <i>self-consciously</i> purist way: as much as both have a fierce sense of identity, in both cases the sonic/stylistic choices could be characterised as a refusal to just take sides - e.g. 2-step refuses to take sides exclusively with R&B, hip hop, dancehall, rave, jungle or pop, and floats uneasily but productively between all of these.

The Basement Jaxx example Simon raised is kinda interesting because it seems that both structurally <i>and</i> in terms of intention recent Jaxx material often mimics 'ardkore, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that they were listening to the original of "Lords of the Null-Lines" a lot. The limitation that is operative on <i>Kish Kash</i> is their desire to be songful, which productively reigns in the excess in the same way that technological/functional restraints perhaps reigned in 'ardkore's hypothetical excesses.

The insane level of detail on the record only becomes captivating (rather than exhausting) when you internalise each song <i>as a song</i>, and not as a succession of details. When people complain that the record is overly busy or overly fussy, I often suspect that the real problem is that they didn't connect with the songs. Their retort might be, "yeah, well, the detail stood in the way", but what they see as an obstacle I see as a productive tension - the partial opposition b/w song and detail actually serves to heighten the effect of each once you can see how they inform one another.

In general I'm surprised that no-one seems to agree with my cod-dialectical approach here - the same approach which informs my position on either/or vs plus/and, but also eclecticism vs purism (in brief: eclecticism is good if it can fashion a compelling singular vision; purism is good if it can sensitize us to a world of previously unperceived differences). It just seems so eminently sensible that music works when it <i>works through</i> a perceived opposition (by producing out of something its opposite), rather than as a demonstration of one side of an opposition declaring victory over the other.

zhao

there are no accidents
Tim F said:
Confucius, whose use of the terms are you critiquing there?

because in practice people associate social eclecticism with sonic eclecticism. Conversely, stylistic purism often presents itself in conjunction with a progressive paring back of a sound.

I'm trying to think of an example of a sound that is/was at once busy and self-consciously purist,

I was referring to Blissblogger's assertion that Either/Or equals aesthetic purism and Plus/And equals a free-for-all melting pot. like many things that have been said on this topic, this is way too literal an interpretation of these terms.

for instance, Plus/And can be very singular and purist: Steve Reich's Drumming. it embraces BOTH east and west, "primitive" and modern, yet formally speaking, it is absolutely purist.

speaking of Csukay, whose statement about limitations is ofcourse true (which also echos Paul Virilio who posits that what we need today are less choices, not more), but what made Can so mindboggling brilliant is that it's such a synthesis of so many different influences. Csukay's melodies are inspired by Vietamese and other Asian musics, loads of rhythms in Can come from Latin and African beats, guitar lines come from American Rock'n'Roll, bass-lines come from Reggae, the electronic textures from Avant C, etc, all spliffed together with tight teutonic rolling papers.

if anything, the creative impulse and process itself is Plus/And. the human mind is Plus/And. when you are brainstorming, you don't think "I'm only going to take ideas from THIS part of my knowledge base and ignore ones from THAT", you use anything you have.

life is Plus/And, nature is Plus/And. only civilization and culture erects these arbituary Either/Or restrictions.

as a species we've been enslaved by binary, dualistic divisions for long enough.

Last edited:

Tim F

"for instance, Plus/And can be very singular and purist: Steve Reich's Drumming. it embraces BOTH east and west, "primitive" and modern, yet formally speaking, it is absolutely purist. "

Yeah totally, this is what i meant when I said that even really minimalist music will have some creative split personality component, it will be more than one thing simultaneously.

DJ PIMP

confucius said:
life is Plus/And, nature is Plus/And. only civilization and culture erects these arbituary Either/Or restrictions.
"Women, can't live with 'em, Cliffy pass the beernuts."

Joseph Campbell said that any time you step out of the transcendental you are in the field of dualism. I don't think you can argue that there isn't life and death or night and day... but we can quibble about how one becomes the other gradually, or take the position that the two aren't seperate, or are part of larger processes etc etc - but that doesn't mean that we can't also perceive discrete states. If nothing else we use distinction because its useful shorthand. Imagine trying to communicate without dualistic concepts? That would lead to a fairly primal state, which is great, but probably less so for avoiding the bus as you're crossing the street or using a computer. Like Tim says - you can't have One without The Other.

I think the issue is that the model of dualism in the West is informed by Christianity, or at least the way that its generally interpreted, i.e. man seperate from nature seperate from god. So is dualism itself is the issue or is it more that it doesn't fit into a broader (social) narrative?

dominic

Beast of Burden
confucius said:

as a species we've been enslaved by binary, dualistic divisions for long enough.

yes, life is Plus/And, nature is Plus/And

we can even say that culture is Plus/And -- i.e., it takes on a life of its own, reproduces itself, recombines along all kinds of lines and trajectories

but human existence is either/or

man is separate from nature and from his own art

DJ PIMP

dominic said:

If I make a painting it is my expression, but when finished it is my reflection. So the relationship changes rather than ends?

I'd need a definition of nature before I could talk about being seperate from it.

Heh.

zhao

there are no accidents
dominic said:

thus the fucked up state of the world.

2 quotes for you today... who said them I dont remember:

"we don't HAVE bodies, we ARE bodies"

"we do not live in nature. nature lives within us."

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
bleep said:
I think the issue is that the model of dualism in the West is informed by Christianity, or at least the way that its generally interpreted, i.e. man seperate from nature seperate from god. So is dualism itself is the issue or is it more that it doesn't fit into a broader (social) narrative?
As much as I don't care for christianity, I don't think it's the culprit here. The explanation is probably much more simple: the concept of dualism arise because of sexual reproduction, the existence of two genders trick people into thinking in opposites - if we had three genders, I'd bet trialism would rule.

In what way is, say, man the opposite of woman, or life the opposite of death? They're different, yes, but that doesn't make the opposites. Opposites doesen't exist except as abstract concepts.

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
confucius said:
thus the fucked up state of the world.
Au contraire, the human world is fucked up because we're not separate enough from nature, still behaving like the selfish beasts we are. Nature is a balance of terror, basically.

It could also be put this way: the world seem "fucked up" to us because we're not so separate from nature that we can stop acting according to it's rules, but nevertheless sufficiently separate to see the suffering that is the result of those rules.

zhao

there are no accidents
hamarplazt said:
Au contraire, the human world is fucked up because we're not separate enough from nature, still behaving like the selfish beasts we are. Nature is a balance of terror, basically.

so I guess you're not being ironic with your custom user title then?

OK, let's get to the bottom of this:

there is no such thing as a constant, unchanging, base, foundational set of qualities known as "human nature".

human beings are, above all, maleable.

in fact, we grossly underestimate our own gift at adaptation - when we have lived a certain way in a certain social system for a few generations, we come to accept it as the only reality there is, think that this is the way it's always been, and start making incredibly narrow minded conclusions about our own "nature" under the influence of this temporary system. in fact, under the influence of the current way of life, we even begin to formulate big broad generalized judgements on the world at large, arriving at statements like "Nature is a balance of terror".

no, symbiotic systems far out number competitive ones in nature. members of the same species (even cross species) HELP eachother, rarely fight, and NEVER whole-sale slaughter eachother by the millions (like humans do).

it is capitalism (Nike ads) which paints a picture of nature as a cruel, dog eat dog place, in order to justify it's own (capitalism's) predilection for violence. (not saying communism is much better, other side of the same shitty coin).

as I have posited before, Darwin's theories which describe specific systems in biology were blown out of proportion to become something they were never meant to be: a master narrative which explains the way the world works. and this false over-attribution of significance, is not neutral, but motivated by people's need to justify a way of life. an unprecedented way of life that is destructive of ourselves and the world around us.

OK gots to bounce... be back later.

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
confucius said:
there is no such thing as a constant, unchanging, base, foundational set of qualities known as "human nature".
I disagree. We're able to rebel against that base, though, but it's still there.

confucius said:
in fact, under the influence of the current way of life, we even begin to formulate big broad generalized judgements on the world at large, arriving at statements like "Nature is a balance of terror".

no, symbiotic systems far out number competitive ones in nature. members of the same species (even cross species) HELP eachother, rarely fight,
Where do you get this nonsense from? Nature being a balance of terror is a conclusion I come to watching nature, not watching humanity. Animals, even within the same species, fight all the time.

confucius said:
and NEVER whole-sale slaughter eachother by the millions (like humans do).
Of course, to commit mass murder you'll need the means to do it, but why do you think we started to create those means in the first place? How did we become corrupted if we by nature are good?

confucius said:
it is capitalism (Nike ads) which paints a picture of nature as a cruel, dog eat dog place, in order to justify it's own (capitalism's) predilection for violence. (not saying communism is much better, other side of the same shitty coin).
Oh, so capitalism is the explanation. A bit like satan for Jehovas Witnesses. And why did capitalism arise? Now, I'm not trying to defend capitalism, I'm not saying I like the way the world is or dog eat dog culture or Nike commercials or anything like that. But if we are going to better ourselves, we have to realize why we behave like we do, rather than thinking everything would be great if we could just get back to nature. We never left it, and that's our problem.

confucius said:
an unprecedented way of life that is destructive of ourselves and the world around us.
Here I agree, but any species would be just as destructive to the world around it if it had as much power as we do.

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
dominic said:
the primacy of either/or follows from the simple fact of human finitude and mortality -- as simon said in his original post

you can't do two things at once -- or at least, not two things well at the same time -- and there's only so many hours in the day, and so many years in the life

so HUMAN existence is ruled by the either/or

as for NATURE, it appears to be ruled by the and/plus -- recombinant genes, etc, as someone upthread convincingly pointed out

and this simply points to the radical disjunction between man and nature -- he belongs to nature, and yet man's nature estranges him from nature

This is a bad argument, you are confusing levels here. Nature is also either/or in a sense that it cannot do two things at once. If what you call human nature is making choices then there is no disjunction at all.

Some things are either/or and others are and/plus and neither explains the world fully, they are just abstract labels. Look at the kind of fun games you can play with abstract terms with fuzzy meanings: a thing is either either/or or and/plus; the world isn't an either/or place because there are and/plus things that exist. There's a logical falacy there and I think that this kind of falacy is all over this thread.

And to address Hamarzplat:

Anything in nature that creates destruction dies off because it destroys the very conditions that sustained it. We have not reached that point yet but we are heading there quickly. We managed to live in concert with nature for millions of years but then somehow civilization arose in a few isolated spots. Due to its nature it was able to rapidly spread like a cancer until now it seems like its rise was supposed to happen and all humanity was on that trajectory. It was a "mutation" of sorts.

The reason we are so "fucked up" is there is no personal accountability because there are so many people and because of unequal power relations, conditions created by civilization. Civilization also gives us a lot of power to do damage, more than any organism previously so we can take down most of the Earth with us.

I do not think we can escape nature. Everything is natural. There is no Nature with a big N, just a bunch of inescapable principles that operate.

Last edited:

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
DigitalDjigit said:
Anything in nature that creates destruction dies off because it destroys the very conditions that sustained it. We have not reached that point yet but we are heading there quickly.
So, eating is not creating destruction? Totally agree that we're destroying the conditions sustaining us, though, but as said before, so would other species if they had the same power we do.

DigitalDjigit said:
We managed to live in concert with nature for millions of years but then somehow civilization arose in a few isolated spots. Due to its nature it was able to rapidly spread like a cancer until now it seems like its rise was supposed to happen and all humanity was on that trajectory. It was a "mutation" of sorts.
"Due to it's nature", exactly.

DigitalDjigit said:
The reason we are so "fucked up" is there is no personal accountability because there are so many people and because of unequal power relations, conditions created by civilization. Civilization also gives us a lot of power to do damage, more than any organism previously so we can take down most of the Earth with us.
Unequal power relations, unlike all other species where there's no pecking orders or exploitation and lots of personal accountability? Do you know about the power relations and personal accountability of ants? Do you know that some ants of the same species have total, all-destructive wars? We're not even unique in being so fucked up.

DigitalDjigit said:
I do not think we can escape nature. Everything is natural. There is no Nature with a big N, just a bunch of inescapable principles that operate.
Yes, exactly... which is why civilization is "natural" too, it arose from those principles. As for their inescapability, I at least think we're able to challange them.

k-punk

Spectres of Mark
But either-or choices aren't the same as binary oppositions.

Either I go to the shops or I go to the park... This doesn't mean that going to the park is the opposite of going to the shops.

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
hamarplazt said:
Unequal power relations, unlike all other species where there's no pecking orders or exploitation and lots of personal accountability? Do you know about the power relations and personal accountability of ants? Do you know that some ants of the same species have total, all-destructive wars? We're not even unique in being so fucked up.

That's not the way humans evolved. Humans are very egalitarian by nature.

Yes, exactly... which is why civilization is "natural" too, it arose from those principles. As for their inescapability, I at least think we're able to challange them.

Good luck trying to challenge the laws of thermodynamics (for example). Like I said, civilisation is like a cancer, just because it arises from certain cause/effect relationships does not mean that it is desirable. However because civilisation is so hard to fight against there may be little we can do other than watch it crash and burn.

There's a good site about all of this http://www.anthropik.net In particular see "The Thirty Theses" under "essentials" in the bar on the left.

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
k-punk said:
But either-or choices aren't the same as binary oppositions.

Either I go to the shops or I go to the park... This doesn't mean that going to the park is the opposite of going to the shops.
Not sure what you're trying to say here. Is there anything that is the "opposite" of going to the shops?

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
DigitalDjigit said:
That's not the way humans evolved. Humans are very egalitarian by nature.
Could you please back this claim up? And are you sure ants didn't start out egalitarian to begin with?

DigitalDjigit said:
Good luck trying to challenge the laws of thermodynamics (for example).
I have no intentions to do that. But the laws of biology, on the other hand, they can be manipulated.

DigitalDjigit said:
Like I said, civilisation is like a cancer, just because it arises from certain cause/effect relationships does not mean that it is desirable.
And I never said it was desirable. I just don't think there's any way "back", because there never was a garden of eden in the first place. Cavemen might not have been able to blow up the world, but that doesn't make their lives any more desirable than ours. Couldn't it be that they chose civilization because it was simply less awfull than starving and fighting wild animals?

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
I would love to continue this discussion but I think this is not the proper place. Care to choose a forum and start a thread?

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
hamarplazt said:
Not sure what you're trying to say here. Is there anything that is the "opposite" of going to the shops?

I think he was referring to the contradiction I set up and that it was misguided.