in with a bullet: bun b's trill is my #1 hip hop record of the year

stelfox

Beast of Burden
well, houston has a great history of all kinds of music but i'd say that any gospel influence is confined to the sung element of its hip-hop – people like chali boy (a pocket-sized barry white with a way eartheir voice who raps, too). even then i think you're still safer looking at secular music, specifically blues, though. as far as the production goes, you can definitely feel elements of blues and equally (this can't be overstated) country, too. banner aint from houston so doesn't really fit but he's certainly the best example of the use of blues and country guitars in southern hip hop) and, yeah, cadillacs is a fabulous song and works absolutely beautifully screwed.

Last edited:

Eric

Mr Moraigero
my screwed pick off banner album 1 is *fast life* ... lovely, in my mind at least. codeine aside it sounds exactly like syrup.

stelfox, you mentioned chingo bling. maybe the version of trill I have is different? mine's got aztek on the draped up remix, not chingo ... anyway i second/third/whatever the #1 record thing. though I'm also feeling the paul wall, esp. screwed version. I wish rap-a-lot had done the double-disc thing with trill too.

also would have been nice if the track with dizzee had made it on there. bun said it wasn't finished enough to put on in some interview (i think the one posted on sonzala's site).

stelfox

Beast of Burden
fuck, is that aztek? i just assumed it was chingo (i downloaded the album and am waiting on my hard copy). he's great on it, then. he's also a LOT more gangsta than chingo. my bad.

DavidD

can't be stopped
I love it but I am a little disappointed in some of his verses...falls a bit too much in to the candy paint/turning lane thing sometimes. "Draped Up" I don't really like much at all, although the remix is pretty hard to deny.

The lil jon beat on Trill recognize Trill is fucking insane though - wayyyy better than that new Youngbloodz song which is totally LJ by numbers.

deadcentury

BUN-B! This album is rattling my ears quite nicely, fuck the village voice and whovever wrote the review "Get Throwed" is disgustingly nice, you really can't go wrong those ingrediants.

can't wait for the official SUC album, anybody know when it's dropping?

Eric

Mr Moraigero
deadcentury said:
BUN-B! fuck the village voice and whovever wrote the review

what did they say about it? (they're fucking up these days no? roll deep review etc ...)

mikemac

Looks like everybody's got love for Bun B right now... "Trill" #1 on Billboard... nice work

Heard some big news/rumours from the weekend... DSR has signed to Universal for a cool 7 mill

and Swishahouse has signed Lil Keke !!!

Is it true ??? DJ Screw must be spinnin in the grave !!!

joeschmo

I dunno. Trill is solid, but it doesn't really hit the heights often enough.

Chamillionaire's album is better.

gumdrops

after hearing trill a couple times daily recently, i have to say it kinda loses its impact half way in. i still love bun, and i think the tracks stelfox names are probably the album's best, but there should be more of those..... if anyone really wants to hear bun KILL on a track (over and over and over), they should download rapid ric's king of the trill mixtape. its shockingly good.

C

captain easychord

Eric said:
how do people feel about the Chamillionaire record?

i was gonna start a topic about this.

really feeling this one, koopa has wisely decided to bust that tasty singing style of his all over this album. i find it irresistably hooky. the production is tight as well, and his obsession with the dark side of the player's lifestyle, jealousy, greed, backstabbing etc. has imo translated well into the full length format. i think it's a big album overall.

DavidD

can't be stopped
Not feeling it at all.

Before ppl label me an all-out hater though, I do like the new Lil Wayne which I understand is getting mixed responses.

C

captain easychord

DavidD said:
Not feeling it at all.

Before ppl label me an all-out hater though, I do like the new Lil Wayne which I understand is getting mixed responses.

do you think the chamillionaire is just weak for his standards? i'm curious.

gumdrops

the new lil wayne album is seriously overrated. i swear everyone must be so desperate for something that screams out 'hip-hop album of 2005', theyll settle for anything.

Last edited:
C

captain easychord

gumdrops said:
the new lil wayne album is seriously overrated. i swear everyone must be so desperate for something that screams out 'hip-hop album of 2005', theyll settle for anything.

yeah i agree the lil wayne album isn't all that imo. really middle of the road sounding to my ears.

DavidD

can't be stopped
I donno whats so middle of the road about it, I wish ppl would get a bit more specific! I think he's an interesting persona and in a year so clearly about rapper persona vs. production 'scenius' i think its fairly representative (although Jeezy is prob. a better pick for "rap album of 2005.")

I don't like Cham's album because its so incredibly bitter and his single-minded obsession/paranoia with imaginary haters makes it more one-note than Mike Jones (whose record I like a lot more). I'm normally not of the chuck eddy school that cries 'mulchy seriousness' when describing rap records not by comedians (paul wall) or court jesters (ying yang) but this fits that description pretty aptly i think.

zhao

there are no accidents
I'm really feelin that kid wayne. not as much tha carter II but this album called Lights Out. don't even know if it's old or new? a few tracks have rhythms close to dancehall; the flow is complex and fast and at times very melodically inventive, with tricked out tripped out production makes this stand out from a lotta same-o same-o dirty south.

Last edited:

DavidD

can't be stopped
Yeah that's the one with "Shine." as far as his early stuff, I like that but prob prefer 500 degreez.